Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just had test drive... wow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey everyone,

New to the community and Tesla, always been a fan but only just started to seriously think about switching.

Anyway had a test drive of a 100D model X and I cannot stop thinking about it, my main reason for the test drive was to see what an EV was like and the quality of Tesla as I was thinking of a model 3 reservation but now I’m thinking model x but obviously the cost is a Hump for me to work through.

Just curious of a few thinks and wonder if you could help;

- Is Tesla finance the best option for a personal pcp deal?
- what’s a realistic delivery date for UK model 3’s I’m guessing early 2020

Thanks
Stephen

Ps so desperate to get rid of my current car now :)

Thanks guys! I never believe the media only my eye and my gut and it’s telling me it’s a hell of a car.

I currently drive a 350z and and xtrail and wanted something with the poke/speed of the z but the utility of the xtrail and ICE or EV the model X is really the only option, was thinking of a velar or X5M but after today it’s tesla all the way!

I’ve got a few things to work out yet to ensure an EV will work for me but this far it’s looking good. I went on confused.com and cheapest was like £2,500 and today after the test drive I got a link to direct line deal which is around £700.

It’s amazing how much effort Tesla are putting into making their cars more accessible to the mass, don’t get me wrong I never thought I’d ever buy a 70k car but replacing my two cars with a Tesla and all the other things to consider it’s not that much more which is amazing.

You guys both got X’s? I’m still wondering if a 75D is a mistake but the 100D seems a lot more money for not much more and the base’s range seems enough.

Also I really like the interior on the base model and given that the premium seems to be fake leather I’m wondering is it really worth it?

Also Autopilot.... wow.... that just blew my mind today!!

Thanks guys! I never believe the media only my eye and my gut and it’s telling me it’s a hell of a car.

I currently drive a 350z and and xtrail and wanted something with the poke/speed of the z but the utility of the xtrail and ICE or EV the model X is really the only option, was thinking of a velar or X5M but after today it’s tesla all the way!

I’ve got a few things to work out yet to ensure an EV will work for me but this far it’s looking good. I went on confused.com and cheapest was like £2,500 and today after the test drive I got a link to direct line deal which is around £700.

It’s amazing how much effort Tesla are putting into making their cars more accessible to the mass, don’t get me wrong I never thought I’d ever buy a 70k car but replacing my two cars with a Tesla and all the other things to consider it’s not that much more which is amazing.

You guys both got X’s? I’m still wondering if a 75D is a mistake but the 100D seems a lot more money for not much more and the base’s range seems enough.

Also I really like the interior on the base model and given that the premium seems to be fake leather I’m wondering is it really worth it?

Also Autopilot.... wow.... that just blew my mind today!!

The amount of range you need is a decision best based on the type of driving you do. For me, range is about more than miles driven, it also means your Supercharging will be faster because, in most cases, you will not have to charge the top 20% of your battery, which is very slow to charge. Additionally, more range lets you drive at faster speeds to go the same distance since higher speeds reduce range. If your long trips are few and leisurely, the 75D is fine, if your long trips are plentiful and/or you are often in a rush to get to your destination, then the 100D is the way to go. We bought a 90D (not much more range than a 75D) and our next Model X will definitely be the 100D.

Thanks

I do about 16 miles to work and back again each day a the weekend a fair bit more but long drives are few and far between but I do have a lead foot :)

My plan was get a 75 and of range does become an issue I can always upgrade after 3 years the wife has a fiat500 which she’ll be keeping so I guess I’ve got a backup for long drives lol

100D seems a lot more money for not much more and the base’s range seems enough.

Its hard to justify the money on range-difference alone, but the Sums should not be done on "I'm paying £X more for additional Y-miles range".

If the 75 will do the majority of your journeys, even in bad weather, then stop there.

If you do longer journeys then you need to factor in recharging time. All the cars charge from 10% to 70-80% in the same time. Of course with a bigger battery you get more range for the same percentage. If a 100 can get you to destination, without charging, the saving becomes worthwhile (if you do that often enough ...).. To charge you need to include the time driving off the road into service station, hook up, unhook, return to the road, so even a 1 minute splash-and-dash is going to add 5 more minutes to the journey.

You need to allow, say, a 20 mile buffer for detours / whatever. This is obviously a larger proportion in a smaller-battery car, so your "usable range" is proportionately less.

I've used A Better Route Planner to compile some comparison figures (below)

The other thing to factor in is how much you might save on Electricity vs. Petrol. If you can charge at work then that's free (no Benefit-in-Kind tax on that). if you use your home electricity then my sums suggest it saves about £100 per month for each 10,000 miles you drive a year, At 16 mile commute I guess you don't do much, but for a high-mileage driver its a fair chunk that you can put into the Finance each month to even-up the books.

Worth considering Economy-7 electricity tariff.

Service costs have been quite high for Tesla MS / MX - given there is very little that needs doing. I service once a year (about 27K miles p.a.) as there is no need for regular interval servicing as with ICE.

Also, much less wear-and-tear issues. I used to change ICE at 3 years, 70K miles, in order to avoid maintenance problems thereafter - that would not be a concern for EV. However, with the advance of Tech there might still be reasons to change ... although Tesla OTA updates have bought me a decent handful of new features and improvements.

more range lets you drive at faster speeds to go the same distance since higher speeds reduce range

Well ... "it depends" :(

If going on a road trip where you are going to repeatedly charge-drive-repeat then there is an optimum speed where driving faster saves more/as-much time as charging. Driving slower gets you further, takes longer, but you charge less. That depends on perfectly spaced Superchargers ... which are likely to exist in USA but certainly not in UK where chargers are likely to be "only one choice for the journey" and thus odds are a bit long that they will be ideal ...

A Better Route Planner posted some graphs of optimum speed vs. charging speed, and optimum speed is as high as 100 MPH for some models.

But if you are going from A-B with no charging, and borderline range, or you can get there with only one charging stop, then optimising for range is likely to be quicker than max speed.

Cold weather or torrential rain is more likely to sap range here in UK

In UK I find that a stretch of 50 MPH for Traffic or Roadworks, on the motorway, reverts a lead-foot back to average consumption :) once you are on the final leg, i.e. can reach destination, then you can vary speed to arrive with appropriate charge level (there is a dashboard display of graph of energy-use for remainder of journey, so easy to see what your predicted arrival-charge% will be and slow-down / speed-up accordingly)

Here are the figures from the tests I made. I have gone with the Wh/mile, for each model, which A Better Route Planner gave me (ABRP has published figures of the averages that have been achieved for the fleet which uses that APP, so I presume they are "reasonable", at least for comparison purposes.) I picked a cold winters day (a couple of degrees above freezing, 10 MPH wind)

My test journey is London to York which is borderline distance for the longest range model in the fleet. Even for the shortest-range model it is still only one recharging stop. If you routinely drive Lands End to John O'Groats!! I recommend that you test that particular journey to see what the difference for multiple-journey-charging-stops is between the models.

Note that I have used an arrival-charge of 10%, but in practice for smaller batteries you will probably want to allow more (representing, say, 20 miles), and that will increase charging time somewhat.

ABRP plans this journey as:

Start at 100% charge and go via A1
4C, 10 MPH wind
115 miles to Grantham Supercharger
88 miles to York, arrive @ 10% charge
203 miles total

There is a more direct route, but Supercharger not well spaced:
M1 208 miles Driving time 3h13m @ 70MPH, 2h55m @ 85MPH

I made tests with these variations to settings:

a) Max speed 85 MPH, reference speed 110%, driving time 3h6m
b) Max speed 70 MPH, reference speed 100%, driving time 3h24m

MX 75D (324 Wh/mile @ 65 mph)

a) 31 minutes charge 14% - 79%, Range 131
b) 24 minutes charge 21% - 73%, Range 139 - i.e. Driving +18m charging -7m, net +11m

c) as (b) but "Summer" - 20C, 5MPH Wind, 16 minutes charge 29% - 66%, Range 148

MX 100D (386 Wh/mile @ 65 mph)

a) 12 minutes charge 36% - 61%, Range 156
b) 7 minutes charge 41% - 56%, Range 162
c) 1 minutes charge 48% - 51%, Range 170

So could do the (c) journey via M1 arrive at 2% :eek: save 11 mins driving time.

So IF you make this type of journey often enough, the 100 is going to save you 10-15 minutes recharging time each trip. For me that's quite significant. If you are happy to sit there and do Emails, which you won't then have to do when you get home, it may be as broad as it is long ...

... if you have to charge on the way to a meeting, then you have to leave 15 minutes earlier ... but you've still done some EMails :)

Also if you have a regular journey longer than 130 miles, but shorter than 150 miles, you will completely save the recharging stop.

Of course this is even more important if your (repeated, regular) journey does not have a Supercharger at a convenient point on the journey.

For comparisons here are the other bottom/top-end models:

MS 75D (386 Wh/mile @ 65 mph)

a) 15 minutes charge 30% - 65%, Range 150
b) 12 minutes charge 34% - 62%, Range 154

MS 100D (386 Wh/mile @ 65 mph)

a) 1 minute charge 48% - 51%, Range 170
(clearly could just choose to arrive a bit less than 10% instead ...)
The M1 route would have no recharge, arrive @ 10%, 208 miles, saving 11 mins driving time = 3h13m

M3 LR (286 Wh/mile @ 65 mph)

a) 12 minutes charge 37% - 61%, Range 157
b) 7 minutes charge 42% - 56%, Range 163

M3 LR Aero Wheels (247 Wh/mile @ 65 mph)

a) 3 minutes charge 45% - 54%, Range 167
b) 1 minutes charge 50% - 54%, Range 173
Can route via M1, 208 miles, arrive at 6%, driving time 3h13m

M3 SR (247 Wh/mile @ 65 mph)

a) 26 minutes charge 19% - 75%, Range 136
b) 22 minutes charge 25% - 74%, Range 144

Last edited:
I have a MS 75D and regularity do 300-500 mike drives (have done 9000k in the first 3 months). And to be honest it’s normally no problem at all.

For example, a trip to Newcastle (from the midlands) involves an 80% charge, stop at Woodall for 25 mins for a coffee, quick 10 min stop in Washington for a top up. On way back another quick 10 at Washington then another 25 at Woodall. Get home with about 30% so the whole trip cost me about £4 for 500 miles.

IMO, the deciding case for how much range you need is not really "long trips", since on a long trip you can probably pick your route to pass superchargers, and probably need to stop for human needs which can be combined with charging stops.

Much more demanding are circular day-trips with stops - much harder to adjust your route to pass superchargers, you already get fed all the coffee you can drink by the clients you have been visiting, and (for me at least) the day is already more stressful/tiring in the first place.

So, family holiday in Cornwall, no problem - and even if it did take a little longer, extra time out of the car is a benefit. Business day trip to clients in a part of the country with few charging options puts range much more at a premium.

But it's all a trade-off. Whichever model you pick, there will be some trips that are less convenient than an ICE, while all the rest of the time charging at home is much more convenient than having to buy petrol for routine driving. Larger battery just shifts the balance a bit.

yes never drive a Tesla unless you intend to buy one...it drags you in...

I have a Model 3 on reservation and looked at the finances and traded in my 2010 Audit TT convertable plus bit of cash and got an S75. I know they arnt available now but thr 75 battery is more than usable. i dont have a massive drive and just top up at home weekly along with a main charge at the reasonably local supercharger at Charnock Richard. wonderful cars and a joy to driev and i do find myself looking at the battery much less. will i still go with the model 3 when out...who knows but think i will have lots of time to think about it.

Haha, this is exactly how I ended up with my MS ... Tesla did a tour round the country in the summer last year and came to a town not far from me so I went for a test drive. Once I'd driven one I set about working out how to afford one & put in a custom order within the month. Once the bug bites, it bites hard :D

I umm'd and ahh'd about stumping up for a 100 battery but decided that actually a 75 in the S would be enough for me. I expect to get 220-250 miles on a run with slightly less in the Winter. Short journeys cane that but then my short journeys start & end at home so I just plug-in & top up again. Going with the smaller battery allowed me to add all the toys (except full self drive) and still afford the car. My reasoning was that I drive 50 miles round trip to/from work and run about round town, school runs etc in a normal week. I just charge at night, costs me about a tenner a week (no Economy 7 ATM) and I have a full "tank" every morning. When we do a road trip it's usually to see family on the other side of the country just over a hundred miles away, we could do the trip there & back in one go theoretically but to avoid getting worried about running low or needing the car while we're there for an errand we can route via a supercharger bank & arrive nearly full. At a push we could plug-in when we got there too but it'd only be on the 3-pin so would only add 3 miles per hour (I think), but as Tesco says "every little helps" :) Other family are in Cornwall and again we can route via superchargers & then plug-in on the 3-pin once we're there.

One of my friends @CotswoldS3X has a MX75 & he's been here there & everywhere recently with his family. Not heard of any issues or range anxiety.

Depending on where you are in the country I'm sure some local owners would happily arrange a meet-up (we're planning one this month in Gloucestershire) where you can have a look at the various options we all have in the flesh.

As someone else has said if you do decide to buy then make sure you get someones referral code to quote. ATM there's an extra £375 worth of Tesla vouchers to spend as you wish up for grabs (if the code hasn't been used yet this referral period) in addition to the free supercharging.

Reactions: CotswoldS3X
would only add 3 miles per hour

More like 6 or 7. Overnight it adds a very useful amount.

Don't believe the "MPH" figure on the charging screen when you first plug in, since it shows the average over the session and so (after the charge has taken a fair while to get started and loaded the average with zero readings) takes a while to converge on the true value.

Biggest issue we have at family's house @arg is that they don't have an outside socket or garage so we'd be running a cable across the pavement or an extension lead to their parking space round the back at the end of the garden ... so supercharging en-route would be much more convenient. Good to hear we'd get a few more MPH though if we do need to use it, not used the 3-pin yet. I have the car display set to % rather than miles to avoid getting suckered into the old "disappearing range" concerns ;)

Thanks guys! I do have range anxiety but I don’t think I need too...

My work round trip is 32 miles and parents are about 25mile round trip so even with working all week then trip to the shops and parents I could do on a single charge.

There is a super charger opening later this year very close to me, it doesn’t look like I’ll have charging at work and due to restriction and type of my house charging at home may be a challenge but I’ve got some people coming out to confirm I can install a charger and how much to install given the distance they will have to take it :(

Also because of the above... I’m going for an MX75D, 100D would be nice but given I do few long road trips the extra £17k could be better spent/saved :)

Anyone got a grey MX with the grey alloys, saw an MS with this combo the other day and it was sexy as hell, thinking of the same for my MX but not seen one. “Pics?”

Reactions: hiroshiy
Sounds like a 75 will be fine.

Supercharger wise, there's not actually that much use near your home. You really want them along any route you'll be taking on a trip :) I guess one close to home is useful for return journey top-ups although I'm usually keen on just getting home by that point!

Home chargers can be very flexible. There's folks with a charger on a stake down the driveway, ours is on the outside wall of our garage - my Tesla sits out on the driveway while my OHs GTR gets pampered in the garage :( Some people even just use the 3-pin or a commando socket, although that's not optimal. I'm sure a good sparky will sort you out with a workable option.

Re: wheels, save yourself a few quid (unless you're going big) ... get the standard silver ones & have them refurbished to the colour you want - it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper than taking the coloured options from Tesla ;)

Reactions: Fellsteruk
I do have range anxiety but I don’t think I need too...

Its just "different to before / ICE".

For your regular runs you soon figure out how much juice you need, and that will quickly become a non-event.

Although there is still the risk that you forget to plug in one night, or for some reason it doesn't charge (Powercut, Circuit trips, etc/). That's not common, of course, but once you get used to "full tank" every morning its a right pain when it happens ...

For longer journeys if you use an APP like A Better Route Planner its easy enough to figure out a route that takes you via superchargers, and will tell you how much longer your trip will be for charging and so on ... but of course with an ICE you never had to bother with any of that stuff 'coz there was a filling station on every street corner.

I have calculated that it used to take me nearly an hour a month to fill up with fuel (more than 25K miles p.a.). So if I have to spend an hour a month charging on road-trips (and I don't, a Supercharger visit is typically 10-20 minutes, and perhaps a couple of times a month only ...) I'm evens. But I have to plan for, and allow time for, those stops ...

If you have journeys that take you routes that do not have Superchargers then I suggest:

Worth considering investing in a CHAdeMO adaptor. That's about 50% of the speed of Supercharger, and charge points are reasonably common around the country. Weight that against the rate that Tesla might rollout more Superchargers. I've barely used my CHAdeMO adaptor ... but there again I have barely used any non-Supercharger charger either, (excluding Home, Work and 13AMP plugs when staying with friends for the weekend).

Plugshare is a good resource for "where" non-Supercharger charging points exist around the country. Also Zap Map.

Worth investing in a high quality extension lead so you can plug in wherever you are staying - and not have to worry about whether your host's moth-eaten lawn mower extension cable is good enough for the job! A 13AMP socket will get you 6 MPH-ish, - 60 miles for a night-stay, and 300 miles for a weekend [but your 75 will be full before then ...] :) A weekend charge on 13 AMP is about a £tenner - a bottle of wine should cover it :)

Reactions: Fellsteruk
Sounds like a 75 will be fine.

Supercharger wise, there's not actually that much use near your home. You really want them along any route you'll be taking on a trip :) I guess one close to home is useful for return journey top-ups although I'm usually keen on just getting home by that point!

Home chargers can be very flexible. There's folks with a charger on a stake down the driveway, ours is on the outside wall of our garage - my Tesla sits out on the driveway while my OHs GTR gets pampered in the garage :( Some people even just use the 3-pin or a commando socket, although that's not optimal. I'm sure a good sparky will sort you out with a workable option.

Re: wheels, save yourself a few quid (unless you're going big) ... get the standard silver ones & have them refurbished to the colour you want - it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper than taking the coloured options from Tesla ;)

Whilst frowned upon was thinking of using my local super charger a little more than just long trips and TBH they are installing 8 and I’ve honestly never seen a Tesla where I live so don’t think usage would be an issue, Home charging is something I’m working out now with an installer as conventional options are not open to me.

Thanks for suggestion on wheels, really like the sonic wheels but I noticed they are exactly the same wheel as standard just a fifferent colour which is crazy!

GTR,,, drool love them but then again for what my MX will cost me I could have a GTR but my heart is set on EV now, always thought my 350z would be replaced with GTR one day and now it’s an MX lol

My OH is getting seriously tempted by a P100 for commuting :D He loves his GTR for track days & won't get rid of it. I balance his CO2 & noise out with my Tesla :D

I think there's quite a few owners that use superchargers locally due to no charging at home. It does mean you miss out on one of the best bits of EV ownership, being full every morning without having to do anything special, but if it works for you & means you can get the car that you want ... it's a compromise. Personally I don't have an issue with it, even more important to use a referral code if you're going to need to do that. See what the sparkies say, they might have ideas.

Keep us posted, interested to hear what they come up with :)