Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just had Wall Charger installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing for you to do if it has been properly installed. Unless you have any special use for it (only allow specific vehicles etc) there is no setup necessary. Think of it like a phone charger. You plug it in, end of story. Imho WiFi on the wall connector is totally overrated. After what Tesla has done with the updates for the car I'm actually considering taking the wall connector off the WiFi network. It'll still do what it's there for: charge the car battery.

Reactions: Genie
Nothing for you to do if it has been properly installed. Unless you have any special use for it (only allow specific vehicles etc) there is no setup necessary. Think of it like a phone charger. You plug it in, end of story. Imho WiFi on the wall connector is totally overrated. After what Tesla has done with the updates for the car I'm actually considering taking the wall connector off the WiFi network. It'll still do what it's there for: charge the car battery.
Thanks. You may be right but I will soon find out myself.

Reason for taking it off wifi is to avoid OTA updates? Are there any drawbacks to that? I was against the teslavision cutting out the radar and avoided that OTAU until I slipped up and it installed. I prefer to hold off on updates until there is some driver feedback online, maybe I’ll take the WC offline too.

Reason for taking it off wifi is to avoid OTA updates? Are there any drawbacks to that? I was against the teslavision cutting out the radar and avoided that OTAU until I slipped up and it installed. I prefer to hold off on updates until there is some driver feedback online, maybe I’ll take the WC offline too.
The manual is thin on details but indicates the WC can/will update firmware when connected to a Telsa. One would assume this is over the data connection in the charge cable.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I had two wall connectors installed, one at my house and one at my parents' house. Different cities, different companies. Both of them were installed and set-up, ready to charge. I did not have to do anything for them to work except plug in my car when I got it.

What I'm saying is: the installer should have known how to, or figured out how to have it ready to charge. There shouldn't be any "work" left over for the customer.

Reactions: UncleCreepy
If you have an electrician install one as I did, I did not expect them to do any more than install the breaker, cable runs and connect and mount the charger. I connected the charger to my Wi-Fi network, set the connector to default amps and ensured the software version was up to date.

Reactions: Rocky_H
If you have an electrician install one as I did, I did not expect them to do any more than install the breaker, cable runs and connect and mount the charger. I connected the charger to my Wi-Fi network, set the connector to default amps and ensured the software version was up to date.
Got mine installed today. The installer claimed to have done dozens of Tesla Wall Charger installations. He did everything in terms of "commissioning," including the WiFi setup.

Not sure what the car integrates with other than the Tesla WC. The Tesla mobile app is where you can view charging stats, start and stop charging, set and view scheduling.
As far as I can tell, there is no integration with the regular Tesla app. This is strange as Tesla integrates the rest of their products in the app. Also the Wall Charger has WiFi and the ability to balance charging between multiple chargers on the same power line.

As far as I can tell, there is no integration with the regular Tesla app. This is strange as Tesla integrates the rest of their products in the app. Also the Wall Charger has WiFi and the ability to balance charging between multiple chargers on the same power line.
The integration provided via the Tesla app is viewing charging stats, start and stop charging, set and view scheduling. Other than this, you can connect to the Wall Connector directly via the IP address where you can set the AMPs, whether it will connect to just Tesla’s or allow non-Tesla’s and some other minor stuff that I cannot remember. These can also be done from the Tesla app.