Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just how degraded is my battery? Different techniques giving different results...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a 70d Model S (with a locked 75kWh pack) last week. I'm trying to figure out how much degradation the battery has.

When I charge it to 100%, it shows 201 'typical' (i.e EPA rated) miles.
(side note: the fact that 'rated' miles in UK/EU cars are extremely different to 'rated' miles in US cars is something that I didn't realise until it was too late. In UK/EU, 'typical' miles are equivalent to what our American colleagues call 'rated' miles, and 'rated' miles are similar to 'ideal' miles)

Anyway I understand that, from new, this car had 240 EPA miles. This would imply a degradation of 16.7% and a remaining capacity of around 57kWh.

However, I get a much nicer number when I try this technique:
- I drive 30 miles without stopping.
- On the energy screen, I multiply the avg consumption by the projected range
- I divide this by the current battery % that is showing to get a theoretical total usable capacity in Wh
I've done this 3 times, at different states of charge (80% , 40%, 10%)
At 80 and 40, I get very consistent and similar results, implying a total capacity of ~63kWh
When I did it at 10%, I got 42kWh , which is obviously not accurate.

Furthermore - I drove the car from a SoC of 100%, all the way down to 19%. I did this over the course of 2 days, temperature about 12 celcius throughout. I got the following numbers, at 19% remaining SOC:
185.5 miles driven
262 Wh/mi average
48.5kWh total used

This would imply a total capacity of about 60kWh - I'd even be happy with this, it's better than the ~57kWh estimate I seem to be getting from the EPA range.

I'm just confused why these 3 methods - all of which should logically be yielding similar results - are so far apart from each other.

Which of these kWh numbers is most likely to be correct?

I should also add - I tried recalibrating the battery using the following method

- Drive the car down to 7%, park it overnight (interestingly I awoke to a completely dead 0% battery....)
- Charge the car back up to full, and keep it plugged in past 100%

In doing this my range increased from 200 to 201.

I have over 205k miles on my S. U will never ever get a perfect range. There r too many variables. Weather, speed,day, night.etc. when home only charge to 80%. Try not to let charge get below 20%, sometimes they die early. Always leave plugged in at home. See attached from users manual.

Attachments

• IMG_20221119_084545.jpg
    IMG_20221119_084545.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 200
Also take into consideration that when doing the calculus avg consumption x est range / % left, the rounding poses a problem but the bigger problem is if you have a low battery % as the rounding effect will mathematicaly increase. Better do this at high % battery remaining.

I should also add - I tried recalibrating the battery using the following method

- Drive the car down to 7%, park it overnight (interestingly I awoke to a completely dead 0% battery....)
- Charge the car back up to full, and keep it plugged in past 100%

In doing this my range increased from 200 to 201.
If you are losing 7% overnight then you either have something keeping the car awake or your 12volt battery needs to be replaced. I was losing 25% range per week. Replaced the battery and its now around 8% per week.