Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just in case you didnt pay attention or were not even told....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have been around long enough to know Elon is a little bit iffy with both the deadlines and the facts. The subject to regulatory approval is a good and important disclaimer. Especially for FSDC features.
To get AP 1.0 functionality with the new system shouldn't required any regulatory approval. That only applies to greater levels of autonomy and the self-driving capability.

I'm sure the person doing the calls was lost in all the happy excitementfrom people getting new hardware. Still a bummer for a few weeks. If they would have emphasized lack of functionality short term, they could have sold more ap1.0 hardware.

As for regulatory approval, not surprised at all. Just because it does the same, it's a totally different system.
This was mentioned as part of the AP2.0 rollout. When did you order?

The info for autopilot on the webpage has said the following since the AP2.0 announcement.

Enhanced Autopilot software is expected to complete validation and be rolled out to your car via an over-the-air update in December 2016, subject to regulatory approval.

Those that ordered before were contacted to see if they wanted to upgrade from AP to EAP.
I ordered before the ap2.0 and I test drove with all these cool AP features and parking and spent time looking through menus on screen. Gosh. It even had auto headlights!!!!

Fast forward.....delivery day. No AP, not even auto headlights.....many other features looked at on test drive are future upgrades.... hope it improves but right now It feels like classic bait and switch......or maybe bait and wait

I ordered before the ap2.0 and I test drove with all these cool AP features and parking and spent time looking through menus on screen. Gosh. It even had auto headlights!!!!

Fast forward.....delivery day. No AP, not even auto headlights.....many other features looked at on test drive are future upgrades.... hope it improves but right now It feels like classic bait and switch......or maybe bait and wait

Ultimately I fully believe you will be better off. Even with a few weeks of missing features. It will be like Christmas every time a new firmware release arrives!

But lack of auto headlights really surprised me. Have you pressed your DS for a list of missing features? We really need a thread there with missing items and expected dates.

(Btw, I don't believe full self driving will be in 2017).

Your cruise control shouldn't work right now either.
My P90D was delivered yesterday with regular CC enabled. So, they at least have that. But here's the list of stuff not working yet:
  • Autopilot
  • Autopark/Summon
  • Automatic Parking
  • Auto High Beams
  • Auto Wipers
  • Auto Lights
  • Auto Day/Night Mode
  • TACC
It looks like Tesla just did a search for the word "auto" and hit delete :p

My P90D was delivered yesterday with regular CC enabled. So, they at least have that. But here's the list of stuff not working yet:
  • Autopilot
  • Autopark/Summon
  • Automatic Parking
  • Auto High Beams
  • Auto Wipers
  • Auto Lights
  • Auto Day/Night Mode
  • TACC
Man o man, that's a long list...

Weird no auto wipers or auto lights, or auto day/night mode. Those use a light sensor that all Tesla's, even pre-autopilot, ones have.
That's due to the new camera/housing on the windshield. It has the rain sensor, so no auto wipers. I'm not sure about the rest of it, or how the legacy Tesla's bypassed the rain sensor.

Weird no auto wipers or auto lights, or auto day/night mode. Those use a light sensor that all Tesla's, even pre-autopilot, ones have.

I know, it's kind of funny, my brand new Model S is less capable in than my 2012 Model S in so many ways. But I know I won't be waiting long (which is good because I'm driving up the east coast at the end of next month...)

I think people do need to calm down just a little bit. Tesla did say December for EAP and last time I checked it's November. That's "bait and switch"?

Before Tesla emerged, it was thought to be nearly impossible to create a new American car company. To think one would be created that wouldn't make mistakes is beyond belief. Tesla is going to make mistakes -- that's just fact. But the fact they are still around, and haven't made any huge mistakes, is what should really surprise us, as well as how long that can continue.

Actually, I think they said there would be no autopilot functionality until December. In December, they plan on having functionality similar to the original Autopilot. EAP will come later.

There is only EAP and FSD now available to be ordered and Tesla's ordering page says: "Tesla's Enhanced Autopilot software is expected to complete validation and be rolled out to your car via an over-the-air update in December 2016, subject to regulatory approval."

I predict when it's enabled you're going to see it do a lot more than AP1.0, hence the need for regulatory approval and the recently released videos by Tesla of the impressive capabilities of AP2.0.

Last edited:
There is only EAP and FSD now available to be ordered and Tesla's ordering page says: "Tesla's Enhanced Autopilot software is expected to complete validation and be rolled out to your car via an over-the-air update in December 2016, subject to regulatory approval."
I thought I read or heard something different back in October but can't find any screenshots. I know there was some discussion that there would be no autopilot initially. Then I thought the plan was that they would enable autopilot functionality similar to that of AP 1.0 cars and EAP functionality would come later.

Anyhow, I'm glad to hear EAP will hopefully be rolled out in December. I have a 1000 mile round-trip road trip planned and wasn't looking forward to the complete lack of cruise control. I heard cruise control was enabled via a firmware update this week. That would be great if they have all of EAP enabled later next month!

Last edited:
All I will say is, don't be mad when someone complains and a "I told you so" reply is posted. It's happened before and will happen again. Love my Tesla but you can be a huge fan and also not be blind to the realities.

• Autopilot
  • Autopark/Summon
  • Automatic Parking
  • Auto High Beams
  • Auto Wipers
  • Auto Lights
  • Auto Day/Night Mode
  • TACC

This is just sad. I know that Elon said AP2 wouldn't be working yet but I don't recall a statement saying these other features would be disabled as well. :(

We bought our Tesla when AP 1.0 just came on line (7.0). My wife tried it day 1, then refused to use it, it freaked her out. We proceeded to drive the Tesla as we would drive a regular car, and really, really enjoyed it.

Finally when we felt comfortable with the car, and knew most of the ins and outs we took baby steps into AP and then became rapid adopters. In retrospect those months that we held off on using AP 1.0 were also the times you are experiencing now (limited functionality). By the time we were using AP 1.0 (7.1) it was fully functioning and we could appreciate many of the features better because we had time to appreciate the car itself.

IMHO, use this time before AP 2.0 is fully up to really get to know and enjoy your car. Have fun!