TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Just in case you didnt pay attention or were not even told....

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Altes, Nov 22, 2016.

1. timdorr

timdorr Model S P90D w/AP2.0

Elon said about 3 weeks: Twitter That lines up with what I heard from my delivery guys: they are ahead of schedule in the development process.

In any case, this car only has a few things missing compared to my 2012. And it has parking sensors, so I'm having fun with that alone, so I'm not antsy about it yet :)

2. Zooomer

Zooomer Member

Picking up my AP2.0 vehicle end of Dec from out of state. Hope it's enacted by then or I'll have to actually drive the car home! Anyone got any how to books on that? Just in case....

• Funny x 2
  3. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

#43 Canuck, Nov 25, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
    Agreed except that I would add "wilfully" blind to your statement since Tesla does clearly state:

Now, why would "regulatory approval" be needed to do what AP1.0 does? Of course, it is not. But this is an entirely new hardware and software suite. It's not being piecemealed in place which is what AP2.0 owners should want. It's being done right -- from the start -- right out of the gate. Say what you want about Tesla, and people bash them a lot about taking more time to get things out than promised, but when it does come out they do it right. There's nothing out there that compares to AP1.0 even with more hardware. Other vehicles' lane keeping is a joke compared to Tesla's.

So I say get ready for AP2.0 to blow your mind right out of the gate. You're going to have to remain in the driver's seat for some time, but the vehicle will be taking you for such a completely automated ride that it will have been well worth the wait, especially if it comes before the end of December. AP1.0 will look primitive, like cruise control looks to AP1.0. But remember also that Tesla says: "subject to regulatory approval" and don't wilfully blind yourself to that statement.

That's my prediction at least. It will sure be disappointing if AP2.0 is enabled and does the same as AP1.0 but that's possible too. Only time will tell.

4. polymathic

polymathic Member

While I'm confident AP2 will quickly improve on AP1, it isn't lost on me that after ordering a fully functional AP1 car I was encouraged to spend another $2k for EAP and get a car at delivery with all the auto features disabled.

5. rw86347

rw86347 Member

Let me see if I understand this if you ordered an AP2.0 car there is absolutely zero autopilot until the next update?

I was under the impression that I would have something similar for AP1.0 cars running 8.0 firmware.

But this makes me think that my car may ship with the capabilities of my Nissan Leaf.

6. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

That is correct. Tesla was very clear about there being no AP features until December at the earliest.

7. Matias

Matias Active Member

Level 4 won't be ready that soon, but I believe AP 1.0 functionality will be delivered this year.

8. Matias

Matias Active Member

This is true, but OP ordered his/hers car when AP 2.0 was not yet announced, so he/she expected to get AP 1.0 functionality.

Of course this will be fixed soon.

9. Hans Allis

Hans Allis Member

The problem here is that they haven't (always) been clear about that to customers who ordered before the HW2.0 introduction. I will take delivery somewhere mid-December and so far, nobody from Tesla has told me that I might not have Autopilot for the first days or weeks. I don't really care and am excited enough by the new hardware and future possibilities to overlook this, but if I hadn't read up on all this I might've felt a bit disappointed on delivery day if AP1-functionality were unavailable at that time.

• Like x 1
  10. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.16.2

Did you get the call and email offering the upgrade to Enhanced Autopilot?

11. Hans Allis

Hans Allis Member

No. My DS did confirm on 10/24 that my car will come with HW 2.0, but also mentioned that upgrading to EAP/FSDC will be discussed close to delivery.

12. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.16.2

Maybe they will have the autopilot functionality ready by the time yours is delivered. I received the email and phone call on the 22nd, 3 days after the new hardware was announced.

13. Hans Allis

Hans Allis Member

Yeah, maybe they will. I'll be fine either way: whether I have to drive without AP1 f(x) for a couple more weeks or not, I'm just glad I got the new hardware on it and don't mind steering manually for a little longer :)

• Like x 2
  14. Ahisaac

Ahisaac Member

I hear what you're saying. The "get to know and enjoy your car" really made me laugh. It's like saying, "get to know and enjoy your spouse...he or she will eventually get themselves together to be the spouse you wanted."

• Funny x 1
  15. eloder

eloder Active Member

AP2 software boosts the car's range by 180+ miles and cuts the 0-60 time by 30-80% while also allowing access to the Supercharger network?

That's quite an incredible update ;)

• Funny x 4
  16. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

I sincerely doubt we will see AP functionality on APv2 hardware cars in January, much less in December. I'd be happy to be wrong..

• Like x 2
  17. Gregkeys

Gregkeys Member

Go watch the nvidia px2 videos. AP2 is fundamentally different than the mobileye AP1

AP2 learns to drive vs AP1 which was told how to drive via programming (programming takes significantly longer, which is the reason most people still thinks it's 10 years away).

In those videos they mention that with just 3000 miles of observation their test car bb8 was able to navigate significantly complex environments.

Tesla has shown similar improvements with their FSDC videos.

AI learning enables at least a 10x faster development of auto pilot

I fully expect that we will see new features every one or two months initially then the improvements will come faster and faster because of the fleet learning.

I don't think they would offer FSDC now if they really thought it was 2 years away.

I am really surprised about the auto high beams and windshield wipers, I wonder if those are tied into the AI as well that could make for some very very interesting improvements.

I've seen a video about the current auto wipers not being perfect I wonder if the AI will be able to improve on them....

Anyways don't feel bad about not having these features right away you're getting significantly better features in the long run.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  18. theslimshadyist

theslimshadyist NashVegas!

Aren't these features returning when AP2 gets activated next month?

19. Gregkeys

Gregkeys Member

I have no idea, this is the first I've heard of it myself (picking up our MX first week of December)

I am expecting then at some point though as they did play a part in our purchasing a tesla, granted they were a small part, but we were excited about them none the less.

If they are not eventually part of our options I will be having words with someone at tesla.

20. Altes

Altes Member

No. it won't have auto headlights !!!!!