Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just in case you didnt pay attention or were not even told....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad you are optimistic..... I would be shocked if the release was done before Q2-2017

You'd be shocked if AP is enabled on AP2.0 cars before April 1, 2017?

Well then get ready to be shocked. Elon Musk has about the best insider's view of the regulation submissions, replies and process. He said three weeks about a week ago. I can see a few extra weeks than what he said, given unexpected information that may be required, but a few months? I highly doubt it.

Uh, that blog is notorious cesspool of TSLA shorters who attempt to create FUD to ensure their shorts pay off. Don't pay any attention to their "analysis" which consists of Trumpian lies shrouded by well-founded but ultimately incorrect assumptions. For example, AP1 data will directly translate to AP2. This is a huge headstart. Does AP2 still require calibration, yes but Tesla has been abundantly clear about the fact features of AP1 will not be available initially and will be rolled out month by month. People are just being willfully ignorant and whiny.

Reactions: Canuck and jldf310
I could barely read that article due to the highly negative spin. I completely disagree with it.

We have not been lied to and they are not going to miss any such deadline.

AP2 will reach feature parity in the next week or two and will begin rolling out additional features every month.

I'm not sure AP2.0 will reach feature parity in a couple weeks but I do think the article was negative spin. Tesla has only committed to regular updates to bring it up to AP1.0 level and then beyond. My understanding is that the big AP2.0 update will bring online emergency safety features and other automation. Anything else is bonus.

What is there to be scared about? These cool features take time. People that bought cars with AP1.0 waited just like we will have to wait. That is better than Tesla rushing out technologies that could result in losses of life. I'd rather they take their time. Its not like these cars aren't fun to drive! Just enjoy driving and getting to know your new car and these features will be like post-Christmas presents to keep you engaged in happy with your continually "new" car. I'm looking forward to this.

This Article states:
Put another way, a new Tesla with AP2.0 hardware is, right now, less capable than an old Tesla with AP1.0 hardware. It lacks:
  • Automatic emergency braking.
  • Collision warning.
  • Lane holding.
  • Active cruise control.
AP2 as of now has all these features. Given that article is dated but author at the least has the obligation to update the readers.

Secondly,
Go watch the nvidia px2 videos. AP2 is fundamentally different than the mobileye AP1

AP2 learns to drive vs AP1 which was told how to drive via programming (programming takes significantly longer, which is the reason most people still thinks it's 10 years away).

In those videos they mention that with just 3000 miles of observation their test car bb8 was able to navigate significantly complex environments.

Tesla has shown similar improvements with their FSDC videos.

AI learning enables at least a 10x faster development of auto pilot

I fully expect that we will see new features every one or two months initially then the improvements will come faster and faster because of the fleet learning.

I don't think they would offer FSDC now if they really thought it was 2 years away.

I am really surprised about the auto high beams and windshield wipers, I wonder if those are tied into the AI as well that could make for some very very interesting improvements.

I've seen a video about the current auto wipers not being perfect I wonder if the AI will be able to improve on them....

Anyways don't feel bad about not having these features right away you're getting significantly better features in the long run.

This is so very true. I have personally noted the improvements (maybe through the "learning process/AI") in my AP2 car within a week.

IMHO, AP2 improvements will be here fairly quickly regardless of naysayers.

Put another way, a new Tesla with AP2.0 hardware is, right now, less capable than an old Tesla with AP1.0 hardware. It lacks:
  • Automatic emergency braking.
  • Collision warning.
  • Lane holding.
  • Active cruise control.
AP2 as of now has all these features. Given that article is dated but author at the least has the obligation to update the readers.

Did I miss something? I didn't think AEB had been enabled on AP2 cars yet.