Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just installed 10.4 (2021.36.8.5). Any tips/tricks/advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After my safety score reached 99 a couple of days back, today I was prompted to install FSD 10.4. Tomorrow morning will be first chance to test while on way to work.

I know there are other threads discussing FSD experience, but many are insanely long and a bit unwieldy to get through.

For those with the firmware listed above, how are you finding things? I know I'll need to remain vigilant when testing FSD. No problem there. Anyone have any tips on putting the software to use? Giving Tesla feedback? I assume this software release relies entirely on Tesla Vision for NoA for highway driving, so that'll be a change as well. I hope to find fewer phantom braking episodes.

Anyway, looking forward to joining the beta-testing crew.

...relies entirely on Tesla Vision for NoA for highway driving...
Yes.

In theory, Tesla Vision should solve the issue of false slowdowns or phantom brakes.

...I hope to find fewer phantom braking episodes...
It sounds like you don't follow much of the forum's reports on false slowdowns or phantom brakes.

Anyway, looking forward to joining the beta-testing crew.

You are now driving the future. Congratulations!

In theory, Tesla Vision should solve the issue of false slowdowns or phantom brakes.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not. 😜

Just stay alert and you'll be fine. There's no substitute for simply using it for a few days to get used to its "personality". Lots of phantom braking, lots of basic mistakes (choosing the wrong lane, stopping in the middle of intersections, etc.), lots of annoying other drivers by being too cautious/squirrelly, but at the same time it's technologically miraculous, and amazing to experience.

A Tesla tech was out fixing some unrelated minor issues on my Model 3 today, and I asked him about what's the most useful way to give feedback to the company. His answer was that their systems are sophisticated enough that they can infer essentially everything they need; if the FSD team is working on U-turns that day, they can programatically source 10,000 examples of U-turn fails and successes from the fleet. Manual annotation by the beta-tester adds surprisingly little value. So pretty much the answer is, just go out and drive the car a lot!

Last edited:
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not. 😜

Just stay alert and you'll be fine. There's no substitute for simply using it for a few days to get used to its "personality". Lots of phantom braking, lots of basic mistakes (choosing the wrong lane, stopping in the middle of intersections, etc.), lots of annoying other drivers by being too cautious/squirrelly, but at the same time it's technologically miraculous, and amazing to experience.

A Tesla tech was out fixing some unrelated minor issues on my Model 3 today, and I asked him about what's the most useful way to give feedback to the company. His answer was that their systems are sophisticated enough that they can infer essentially everything they need; if the FSD team is working on U-turns that day, they can programatically source 10,000 examples of U-turn fails and successes from the fleet. Manual annotation by the beta-tester adds surprisingly little value. So pretty much the answer is, just go out and drive the car a lot!
Agree with your 1st and 2nd para, as an FSD beta driver in a busy city. (Wrong lane, stopping, etc.)
But also it's better for cities than what is was before -- public City Autosteer
only worked well on clear boulevards, and came screeching to a halt on all the
rest (peds, biclycists, car doors opening, no lane-marked streets, turning
on curves with parked cars.)

Now that stuff is better, but it's a Mr. Toad's wild ride when you expect it
to do even more, like 90-degree turns, staying in the correct lane, etc.
It's a work-in-progress, but it's amazing that it even works at all,
probably even better than me if I didn't chicken out too often.

Oh yeah, one more tip -- many of us don't toggle on FSD beta if there are
many drivers behind us. Sure our Tesla will look like it's driving drunk ahead,
but if they slam into us it's legally on them! I actually like FSD beta in
San Francisco so far as I learn where it's being dumb. Symbiotically,
we'll both converge on a happy medium.

Last edited:
Other answers above are great. I’ll just add that auto high beams is usually okay for me, but some situations it’ll look like I’m angrily high beaming on off on off at people. In which case, push the stalk forward to shut off auto. I tried toggling the setting in menu to be able to manually control high beams (besides holding left stalk pulled towards you), but the menu touches are just ignored now. But otherwise yes, it’s vision only all around (including highway when it goes back to non FSD beta NoAP), so auto high beams is turned on at the start of every drive.

For sure, start out overly cautious and more easily disengaging FSD beta if in any traffic or potential collision with obstacles. You can slowly let it “try a little longer” as you learn what situations it may suddenly act erratically.

Lastly, it’s not consistent. From what I understand of NN, that’s something very different than the old code. It may be successful in a hard situation a number of times, then act completely differently at other times.

Reactions: vapor trail