Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just installed 12.29kW + 3 PW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still waiting for PTO but finally after about 2 months after signing the papers I had 39 panels + 3 powerwalls installed.

Extremely happy with the crew that handled the job. It took them about a day and a half to install everything.

My main goal was to provide backup power in case of an outage and I almost bought a standby gas generator (22kW for about 14K installed), but then I priced out solar + powerwall and it made more sense to me.

Here is the breakdown

52K Total - 30% ITC = 36.4K
~$2700 in SREC/year
~$3300 in energy cost/year
Break even in ~6 years

If I deduct 14K that I was going to spend on the generator than the number is even more appealing

$36.4K - $14K / 6k(yearly saving) = ~3.7 years

Added bonus is that Tesla allows Paypal payment w/o any added fees, so put the whole thing on the rewards credit card that will be paid off when the statement comes.

Now just waiting for the township inspection and for the rain to stop!

I ordered a 7.6KWH system. Apparently now they bundle the solar panels and powerwalls. They added 2 powerwalls to my order.

2 powerwalls - $14,100
Powerwalls installation $2,500

Discount for solar + powerwall order - $1802

I asked them to remove powerwalls from my order. Powerwalls make very little sense here in NJ.

Did they break out the power wall cost? I'm going to put in a 13 kw from someone other than tesla (at least at this point) and curious about the added cost of the PWs.

They are transparent with their pricing so 3PW if bought separately from solar will run you 20.6K + ~4K installation.

On the combined order they are discounting about 5K total from "large" solar + 3PW.

morbidz,

Could you/ would you consider disconnecting from the grid totally?
Reason I ask, I'm in the process of building a new home and having read your installation, wonder if I might have that option of not getting connected to the grid. I would get everything close to connected but not make the handshake, if only for future sale.

morbidz,

Reason I ask, I'm in the process of building a new home and having read your installation, wonder if I might have that option of not getting connected to the grid. I would get everything close to connected but not make the handshake, if only for future sale.

If i went with maybe 18kW system and 4 powerwalls I would have flipped the grid breaker for good. Unfortunately i don't have roof space for more panels, otherwise i would have definitely bought a bigger system.

Still waiting for PTO but finally after about 2 months after signing the papers I had 39 panels + 3 powerwalls installed.

Extremely happy with the crew that handled the job. It took them about a day and a half to install everything.

My main goal was to provide backup power in case of an outage and I almost bought a standby gas generator (22kW for about 14K installed), but then I priced out solar + powerwall and it made more sense to me.

Here is the breakdown

52K Total - 30% ITC = 36.4K
~$2700 in SREC/year
~$3300 in energy cost/year
Break even in ~6 years

If I deduct 14K that I was going to spend on the generator than the number is even more appealing

$36.4K - $14K / 6k(yearly saving) = ~3.7 years

Added bonus is that Tesla allows Paypal payment w/o any added fees, so put the whole thing on the rewards credit card that will be paid off when the statement comes.

Now just waiting for the township inspection and for the rain to stop!
Just confirming that you were able to use PayPal for entire payment amount or just a fraction of it. Also, were you able to use a credit card on PayPal with no additional fees?
I'm in the process of installing a 23kW + 4 PW system and if I could use my PayPal account with a credit card then the card rewards can be quite a bit.
Thanks in advance

I ordered a 7.6KWH system. Apparently now they bundle the solar panels and powerwalls. They added 2 powerwalls to my order.

2 powerwalls - $14,100
Powerwalls installation $2,500

Discount for solar + powerwall order - $1802

I asked them to remove powerwalls from my order. Powerwalls make very little sense here in NJ.

Each Powerwall is 13.5 kWh... what do you mean 7.6kWh? Or are you getting 7.6kW of solar and 2 powerwalls?

kW is power like HP (1kW = 0.7HP). kWh is Energy like a gallon of gasoline (33.7kWh = 1 gallon of gasoline)...

Just confirming that you were able to use PayPal for entire payment amount or just a fraction of it. Also, were you able to use a credit card on PayPal with no additional fees?
I'm in the process of installing a 23kW + 4 PW system and if I could use my PayPal account with a credit card then the card rewards can be quite a bit.
Thanks in advance

yes, paypal(funded with my AMEX) the whole amount w/o any additional fees on my end!

Reactions: Amit519
7.6kWh is the Medium Solar panel system in Tesla website

It's 7.6kW and 32 - 39 kWh per day...

Getting the units correct will help avoid confusion especially as batteries are thrown into the mix. A kW is not a kWh.... Just like HP isn't like a gallon of gasoline. Power (kW) vs Energy (kWh).

Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 1.37.07 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: cr0ntab and Amit519
morbidz,

There are still some benefits to being connected to the grid. If your utility offers net metering, then the grid can act as a "virtual Powerwall" to absorb your extra solar production. It is also nice to be able to take power from the grid at night or if your solar system isn't producing due to weather. Of course net metering doesn't help in a power outage, which is where Powerwalls have an advantage. In some municipalities, you have to be connected to utilities in order to receive a certificate of occupancy on the house.

We have a 16.5 kW solar system and have been doing an extended off-grid test. We've received two Storm Watch notifications in the past 5 days but have no idea if they were actually needed this time because we've been running off our solar and Powerwalls the entire time. :)

Reactions: JayClark