Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just installed Cross Climate 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2020 MY just got it's first new set of tires; 20" Cross Climate 2. So far, I like them.

I don't do a lot of highway miles and I work from home and don't have a set route that I take every day, so I'll probably never know if they affect my range at all. Most days I never get below 60% anyway so it doesn't really matter. I'm going on a long trip next month where I might be able to get some more information.

I was afraid that the tread would be too aggressive for a white MY, but I really like the look of them.

They seem to track really well. The car wants to point itself straight down the road when I turn the wheel. It's not a problem, it just seems to a much stronger effect than what I was used to with the OEM tires. There doesn't seem to be any issue with following the road surface, so that's good.

The only thing that concerns me is they might be a bit louder than the OEM tire. Though it's hard to tell because when you get new tires you listen really close for anything that might be different. If anything the noise might be described as a whirring sound. It will be interesting to see how they change as they wear in a bit. Maybe they will get more quiet; maybe I'll just ignore it.
They are good in the rain with the thread pattern flushes water out of the way. But dry weather they are very noisy, don’t try to take curves also like a sports car, they grip is not so great, you will hear tire squeal. I have these on my Prius and Camry spare vehicles, would I recommend for Tesla, high torque vehicle. I would not. They are great for regular sedan with ice engines.

Have CC2 on refresh Model X. Cold pressure 45, running pressure 49 at 61F.
At 80mph there is a pronounced vibration. Anyone else getting this from these tires?
This is a Model Y forum.

I didn't have any issues, other than road surface noise, on my Avalon nor my Tesla MY. Balanced out smoothly, better traction than OEM, just NOISY on anything but super-smooth pavement.

This is a MC2 question in a thread where people have already been discussing the tire, just trying to get the experienced eye.

I was concerned that the aggressive all weather tread might not be great at 80mph and above as this is my first high speed highway roadtrip on these tires. If it’s a “me” problem I may just have a wheel out of balance.

I've heard that they are quite noisy, I havent heard about vibration, that sounds like a balance issue. They are an "all-weather" tire, so they have to make some big compromises, one of them being high rolling resistance. I wonder if this is where the extra noise comes from.

Reactions: Pianewman
I have the 19” CC2 for my model S. I used them all winter (and last summer) and definitely much better for the Michigan winters compared to my previous pilot sport 4 all seasons.

Range takes a bit of a hit but winter traction is more important to me. One accident can negate any efficiency gains. Seems fine in summer too albeit maybe “slight” more slippage if stomping on the accelerator.

Didn’t notice too much noise difference and they ride smooth.

Reactions: Spinkick and RNHurt
The whiny noise is from the tread pattern on the tires. Give it a few hundred miles and make sure the tire pressure is the recommended amount. I had these on my Prius before , they they make a weird whiny noise when they were new.
I put 2k miles on a set on my Avalon Hybrid. The tires continued to sing above 65mph, not excessively, but definitely there. Road noise (exposed aggregate) could be deafening at times.
They did balance out smoothly, up to 90mph a few times.

My 2020 MY just got it's first new set of tires; 20" Cross Climate 2. So far, I like them.

I don't do a lot of highway miles and I work from home and don't have a set route that I take every day, so I'll probably never know if they affect my range at all. Most days I never get below 60% anyway so it doesn't really matter. I'm going on a long trip next month where I might be able to get some more information.

I was afraid that the tread would be too aggressive for a white MY, but I really like the look of them.

They seem to track really well. The car wants to point itself straight down the road when I turn the wheel. It's not a problem, it just seems to a much stronger effect than what I was used to with the OEM tires. There doesn't seem to be any issue with following the road surface, so that's good.

The only thing that concerns me is they might be a bit louder than the OEM tire. Though it's hard to tell because when you get new tires you listen really close for anything that might be different. If anything the noise might be described as a whirring sound. It will be interesting to see how they change as they wear in a bit. Maybe they will get more quiet; maybe I'll just ignore it.
I’ve had the Cross Climate 2 set on the YLR since November 2022 and they are perfect for the snow and ice in my 6500 to 7500 ft elevation. I’ll update after this Summer on wear and everything. In Winter I run them at 42PSI for a bigger contact patch and better grip. I’ll try them at 44 in the summer to get longer wear.

Reactions: RNHurt
My apology for reviving an old thread - here's my "Battery Degradation Report" from TeslaFi. All in KM since I'm in Canada.

I do live in Ontario, so my range gets a big hit as the weather becomes colder. I also switched from Conti to CC2, and you can probably guess when by looking at this chart... 😁

You can make your own conclusion, but I think this chart says, for me, CC2 only hit me with around 2.5% range penalty (blue line, with a big jump around 21000km area).

I believe I lost about 5.6% range during the first 35k miles of driving, but this includes 2.5% hit from CC2. So the actual battery degrade is about 3%?

I also charge to 80% nightly, and 100% just about every weekend. I owned the car for now about 14 months.

Attachments

• battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 82