Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just installed Cross Climate 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RNHurt

2020 MY, White, Black
Jul 29, 2020
Louisville, KY
My 2020 MY just got it's first new set of tires; 20" Cross Climate 2. So far, I like them.

I don't do a lot of highway miles and I work from home and don't have a set route that I take every day, so I'll probably never know if they affect my range at all. Most days I never get below 60% anyway so it doesn't really matter. I'm going on a long trip next month where I might be able to get some more information.

I was afraid that the tread would be too aggressive for a white MY, but I really like the look of them.

They seem to track really well. The car wants to point itself straight down the road when I turn the wheel. It's not a problem, it just seems to a much stronger effect than what I was used to with the OEM tires. There doesn't seem to be any issue with following the road surface, so that's good.

The only thing that concerns me is they might be a bit louder than the OEM tire. Though it's hard to tell because when you get new tires you listen really close for anything that might be different. If anything the noise might be described as a whirring sound. It will be interesting to see how they change as they wear in a bit. Maybe they will get more quiet; maybe I'll just ignore it.

I have had the 19" CC2 on my MY 2020 for about 5000 miles. They are a little louder to me, but the MY isn't the most road noise quite EV in my experience :) I can feel the tread when going slow and turning, and it really impacted my efficiency from a highway perspective. I did two road trips from Denver to Nebraska / Iowa right after I got them, and could immediately tell that I couldn't go as far due to higher wh/mile usage. I would say I lost between 10 - 15% range compared to the Continentals I had. I haven't had a chance to really dive in to my teslamate data for my road trips between the two tires, but I clearly see my efficiency was higher than before. For city driving, I would say my efficiency is maybe 5 - 10% worse so far, and I am curious to see how things progress as they wear in more.

I do like the tires, and I am happy with their overall performance. I look forward to snow and see how they do.

I'm curious if the Conti ProContact RX had better efficiency than the Goodyear Eagle F1... I only ask, because I drove to San Francisco with the Eagle F1, and then I replaced them with the Conti DWS 06-Plus, and drove to San Francisco again a month later... I drove a few hundred miles before the road trip, so I broke in the tires... On the 1600 mile roadtrip, I didn't actually notice any difference in range, as I still went to the same charging stops, with a similar SoC, and charged to essentially the same levels at each charging stop. From what I can tell, the DWS had a higher consumption by maybe 5-10 wh/m

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt
I will install MCC2 around November b/c they're really efficient in snow and not really interested in Snow tires. Few weeks ago the best deal was on Walmart for $176.04 per tire. How much did you pay?
I paid $320 at Discount Tire; I had no idea they were that cheap at Walmart. I just checked my local store and they only have the Pilot Sport 4 Summer ($220). DT does a price match so if I could have found them that cheap at Walmart it would have saved me a TON of money.

Actually, that seems remarkably cheap for a premium tire. Is there something different about the tires that are sold at Walmart? Are the tires slight defects or something? Does Walmart make up the cheap purchase price in installation costs or something?

I paid $320 at Discount Tire; I had no idea they were that cheap at Walmart. I just checked my local store and they only have the Pilot Sport 4 Summer ($220). DT does a price match so if I could have found them that cheap at Walmart it would have saved me a TON of money.

Actually, that seems remarkably cheap for a premium tire. Is there something different about the tires that are sold at Walmart? Are the tires slight defects or something? Does Walmart make up the cheap purchase price in installation costs or something?
it's the same tire: MCC2 255/45/r20 in both the stores. DT was asking $202 per tire and they'll match if one finds a lower price within 14 days. DT also offers one free tire swap if purchase a whole set of tires. My plan is to purchase in November, free install MCC2 and next summer the free swap will help put the stock tire back to save the MCC2.

UPDATE

Just got back from a 1,000 mile trip to Virginia and I can say that I didn't notice much of a difference. It's super hard to give exact numbers though. My average energy on the whole trip was 305 Wh/mi while the average for the lifetime of the car is 264 Wh/mi. However, most of the time I'm just driving around town in stop and go traffic. This latest trip was mostly highway miles at 70+ MPH so I'm not sure we can really compare those numbers.

Either way, I've made this trip to VA before and I stopped at the same places and changed for about the same time. If the tires made a difference, it's been too small to notice in real life.

My next experiment is going to be removing my hubcaps and running "bare" wheels for a while. I really like the look of the stock 19" rims and its a shame to cover them up all the time.

Reactions: jsight
So I did something different than most folks:

I have an MYP that came with 21in wheels, which I replaced with 20in wheels (which is typical).

Whats atypical is that I put M3P 20in uberturbune 20x9 wheels on my MYP, and then I put the F1 Asymetrics on those wheels.

That gave the wheels ~1/2 of protection and protects the wheels with the side walls.

I decided to experiment with seeing how the OEM tires would work with respect to efficiency.

Bottom line: 75 mile trip is now 5% less use on the battery. …and that almost doesn’t matter how fast I go… almost. Heh.

Mea Culpa! I originally said that I had 20" wheels but I was mistaken. My 2020 Model Y has 19" rims not 20".

I tried to edit the post to correct the error but I can't. This post even has a `20" tires` tag but I can't change that either. I'm sorry for any confusion. 😥

Reactions: jsight
RNHurt: I think several of us already thought you were on 19" rims. Thanks for correcting it.

I tried to like the MCC2 tires, tried them on two cars, our 2019 Avalon Hybrid and our 2021 Tesla MYLR. They were smoother than the (hard rubber) OEM ContiProContacts on some road surfaces, but because Texas has so many exposed aggregate roadways, the noise factor was unacceptable. Seriously.

As for efficiency, I know I lost 7-10% of range, in both cars.

So, as has been stated many times, tire choices (and suspension firmness!) need to be regionally based. I have no need for the more aggressive tread of the MCC2, and ultimately went with Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4. They aren't LRR tires, so with the MY, I'm at 319 Wh/mi after 4000 miles (1700 mile road trip, FW to Denver). My lifetime efficiency had been 287 Wh/mi after 31k miles.

I still contend that range is a false flag, unless you are naive enough to buy any EV car in a region w/o adequate highway chargers.

Reactions: RNHurt and jsight
CC2 club!

Attachments

• 745971C6-E1EE-4764-9163-4C113DF0F542.jpeg
    745971C6-E1EE-4764-9163-4C113DF0F542.jpeg
    532.8 KB · Views: 511
UPDATE

Just got back from a 1,000 mile trip to Virginia and I can say that I didn't notice much of a difference. It's super hard to give exact numbers though. My average energy on the whole trip was 305 Wh/mi while the average for the lifetime of the car is 264 Wh/mi. However, most of the time I'm just driving around town in stop and go traffic. This latest trip was mostly highway miles at 70+ MPH so I'm not sure we can really compare those numbers.

Either way, I've made this trip to VA before and I stopped at the same places and changed for about the same time. If the tires made a difference, it's been too small to notice in real life.

My next experiment is going to be removing my hubcaps and running "bare" wheels for a while. I really like the look of the stock 19" rims and its a shame to cover them up all the time.
I sometimes see higher consumption than that with the OEM tires. That's a great result, thanks for sharing!