Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just learned MY has dual zone climate control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Schulz1983

Model Y LR AWD: Matte PPF, Vossen HF-1
May 14, 2021
High Ridge MO
Feel like I learn something new every day. I didn’t realize the Y came with dual zone climate control. After all the arguments over temperature!
image.jpg

If there is no one seated in the front passenger seat the Model Y defaults to AC air flow only for the driver's side. On the Climate Control screen, if you tap the passenger side vent the Model Y will activate the passenger side air flow. Also, it is difficult to see but there is a button on the lower right corner of Climate Control screen that will turn on the rear facing vents in the second row. If there is someone seated in the second row, seat belt buckled, then air should flow from the rear vents. To reset you can turn the climate control system OFF and then ON. The reason the passenger side dashboard vents and rear facing vents are off by default is to save energy.

Last edited:
If there is no one seated in the front passenger seat the Model Y defaults to AC air flow only for the driver's side. On the Climate Control screen, if you tap the passenger side vent the Model Y will activate the passenger side air flow. Also, it is difficult to see but there is a button on the lower right corner of Climate Control screen that will turn on the rear facing vents in the second row. If there is someone seated in the second row, seat belt buckled, then air should flow from the rear vents. To reset you can turn the climate control system OFF and then ON. The reason the passenger side dashboard vents and rear facing vents are off by default is to save energy.
I wish they made it to sync and unsync the climate control from the touch screen. Ours came with it synced so I always assumed it was single zone climate control. I was watching Munro Live today and he talked about it on the Y tear down.

I wish they made it to sync and unsync the climate control from the touch screen. Ours came with it synced so I always assumed it was single zone climate control. I was watching Munro Live today and he talked about it on the Y tear down.
You can sync and unsync it from the touch screen. Just tap on the temp number on the main screen, and a little pop-up window will open so you can adjust the temperature. Just to the right of that temperature slider, there is a sync button. If the button is blue, the driver and passenger temps are synced. If gray, they are controlled independently.

Reactions: Schulz1983
Sigh, if only there were some sort of documentation on our cars, which told about all of the features and how to use them. Something like a manual. And imagine if it was stored in the glovebox when you got the car! It could even be accessible on the touch screen, or the internet! Wouldn't that be amazing?!

Sorry for the snarkiness, but the way people refuse to spend time learning about the things they purchase these days is very annoying to me.

Sigh, if only there were some sort of documentation on our cars, which told about all of the features and how to use them. Something like a manual. And imagine if it was stored in the glovebox when you got the car! It could even be accessible on the touch screen, or the internet! Wouldn't that be amazing?!

Sorry for the snarkiness, but the way people refuse to spend time learning about the things they purchase these days is very annoying to me.
Oh I read the owners manual. Please find for me in the current owners manual how to open the rear doors in the event of power failure. I’ll wait……

Oh I read the owners manual. Please find for me in the current owners manual how to open the rear doors in the event of power failure. I’ll wait……
A trick question (I don't know if you intended it to be or not) in that you can't open the rear doors of a model y in the event of power failure (from the inside anyway, they are mute on the exterior I admit). But, they do tell you that in the manual.
Screenshot 2021-08-05 213803.png

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexHung
A trick question (I don't know if you intended it to be or not) in that you can't open the rear doors of a model y in the event of power failure (from the inside anyway, they are mute on the exterior I admit). But, they do tell you that in the manual.
View attachment 692793
No they do not. Apparently they used to. If you lift the little rubber door insert in the rear doors there is a tiny square. Pop that square up and there are metal wires you can pull to manually open the doors. The plastic tabs are hard to pop off so I chose to leave mine off. Since the rubber pad sits on top it doesn’t hurt anything. They will be easily accessible in the event of an emergency.

Reactions: Gadget63
No they do not. Apparently they used to. If you lift the little rubber door insert in the rear doors there is a tiny square. Pop that square up and there are metal wires you can pull to manually open the doors. The plastic tabs are hard to pop off so I chose to leave mine off. Since the rubber pad sits on top it doesn’t hurt anything. They will be easily accessible in the event of an emergency.
They never had it. Model 3 doesn't either. What you are doing isn't in the manual because it's not intended to be done by Tesla. I suspect those wires are there because they use common components on the inside of the doors but then have different panels. I would guess they don't expose it because it would bypass the software controlled child lock mechanism. Would be interesting to turn on child lock and try your trick.

Not that it isn't useful information. It's EXACTLY the sort of information I would NOT complain about a thread being started on because it's useful, and not available easily from a simple look at the manual.

They never had it. Model 3 doesn't either. What you are doing isn't in the manual because it's not intended to be done by Tesla. I suspect those wires are there because they use common components on the inside of the doors but then have different panels. I would guess they don't expose it because it would bypass the software controlled child lock mechanism. Would be interesting to turn on child lock and try your trick.

Not that it isn't useful information. It's EXACTLY the sort of information I would NOT complain about a thread being started on because it's useful, and not available easily from a simple look at the manual.
You are correct. They bypass the child locks. However, we don’t have kids. Also, I would think most kids wouldn’t look under the rubber mat to see a tiny square hole, and pull said wire in hole. Of course I was an butt head as a kid so anything is possible. We wanted them accessible in case we had family in back and had an accident. My 60 year old mom isn’t going to climb to the front seats to get out in the event of a power failure.

You are correct. They bypass the child locks. However, we don’t have kids. Also, I would think most kids wouldn’t look under the rubber mat to see a tiny square hole, and pull said wire in hole. Of course I was an butt head as a kid so anything is possible. We wanted them accessible in case we had family in back and had an accident. My 60 year old mom isn’t going to climb to the front seats to get out in the event of a power failure.
Understandable. I'm kind of iffy on the whole lack of proper manual door release thing myself. But I'm alone in my car 99% of the time so it's not really a deal breaker for me. But if I regularly had family passengers it would be something to seriously make me consider other models of car.

Understandable. I'm kind of iffy on the whole lack of proper manual door release thing myself. But I'm alone in my car 99% of the time so it's not really a deal breaker for me. But if I regularly had family passengers it would be something to seriously make me consider other models of car.
Unfortunately I think all cars are going to go towards electronic doors. Even the Mach-E does it. I think it is the wave of the future.