Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just made a second reservation for a Model 3!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does someone know of a survey listing road trips, their length and frequency? It would obviously be regional.

We take what I think is average amount. 2.5 years with all electric garage. Supercharged 7 times I think. Did have a trip where I was considering a rental - a deer made that mandatory as my car was in the shop during the trip.

And I have a 70D and a Leaf. A 3LR (is that what we are calling it?) will go much farther.

I dream of a day when everyone drives relatively small electric sedans and rental trucks and larger roadtrip vehicles are easily available. App request to your door - so that all the crazy people that commute in SUVs and trucks stop! UberRents.
I suppose European level of taxation might get us there but it would take a couple of huge weather events in a row to motivate people....;)

Reactions: T34ME
This evening my wife and I made our second model 3 reservation!!! This one will be for her. She simply wants the base range and black exterior. The only option she wants it AWD. Expected delivery is late 2018...can't wait!! Bye bye gas stations!! :)

So, what's the delivery date range shown for non-AWD configuration? Just curious.

@oktane why? Our first Model 3 will be the long range model. Also, we do not go on long road trips anyway. Also, if we did, we could always rent a car and put the miles on the rental instead of our own.
Don't worry, the person who replied is our resident troll.
You'll have great road trips without a drop of fuel. There are plenty of superchargers, and there'll be many more by the end of 2018.
The only snag is you won't want to rent an ICE after driving a Tesla.

Reactions: 1 person
This evening my wife and I made our second model 3 reservation!!! This one will be for her. She simply wants the base range and black exterior. The only option she wants it AWD. Expected delivery is late 2018...can't wait!! Bye bye gas stations!! :)
Our first Model 3 will be the long range model. Also, we do not go on long road trips anyway. Also, if we did, we could always rent a car and put the miles on the rental instead of our own.
I agree with you. We are about to place a reservation for a second Model 3. I want SAS on at least one of the cars and that option will be available sometime in 2018. We will receive our first reservation, standard range white interior car in Q1 2018. We will see how we like standard range with no SAS and white vegan. If we would prefer the long range with SAS and dark interior, we could then sell the first car or keep it as a grocery getter. I expect the second reservation would be filled sometime in early 2019. If we are completely happy with the first car then we could simply cancel the second reservation. I don't see a downside.

Last edited:
So, what's the delivery date range shown for non-AWD configuration? Just curious.

@DriveMe we have a date of "late 2018" for all three options for this most recent reservation which works for us because it will give my wife some time to see if she really like a Tesla Model 3 (our first reservation should be here sometime in early 20018). If she does not like it, we can just cancel the second reservation and look for something else for her.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
bye bye road trips! better keep an ICE as a spare.
We've had nothing but EVs for the last year and a half. For the two years prior to that, we had an ICE and EV. The ICE never made road trips, the EV always did. My family has gone up and down the West Coast, inland to Grand Canyon, the High Sierras, the high desert of Oregon, Glacier National Park, up into Canada and through Banff and British Columbia. We also circuited the Olympic Peninsula. 3500 of those miles were with our X and a 4100 pound camper being pulled behind us.

Bye bye road trips, indeed.

bye bye road trips! better keep an ICE as a spare.

It depends where you live I guess. If you are outside of California should be no problem. I have given up on the Southern to Northern California trips in the Tesla, it is simply too painful right now. I often will see one or two available stalls for supercharging and by the time I arrive they are already occupied and then you wait 30 minutes to even start to charge at a lower rate of about 50 kW.

The reality is it is not worth my time to add extra hours to a trip, and others I travel with also are not fond of it. I love the car for local use, however. I like your idea of renting if necessary. I love not going to the gas station every few days for regular commute since I charge at home.

More supercharging is needed, and it needs to charge at at least 300 kW for this to be tolerable during road trips.

So kind, thoughtful, and helpful of you to rain on the OP's joyous excitement. Needlessly. Erroneously, too.

Definitely the sort of warm community spirit which our world desperately needs.

So ... heartfelt thanks!

Really? You guys need to be less sensitive. I'm sorry the real world isn't warm and fuzzy.

Before I got my car I had delusions of traveling "for free" for work between northern and Southern California all while the car was driving me.

I'd have these amazing quick charges and get a relaxing break/coffee of course in the 30 min interim.

Just like many other things Tesla, it has turned out to be false. Cars are literally lined up fighting for a spot in the SC. It is very awkward and stressful. You have to be aggressive so you can charge but then you also need to be polite and observe some forms of social order. When you do eventually get a stall (I have waited over an hour on 2 occasions) you charge at 35kW-50kW.

My post, unlike so many, actually points out the common scenarios that you don't find out until it's too late. My goal on this site is to make sure everyone knows what they should know prior to purchase so they can be an informed consumer.

I'm sure many other users will corroborate my post.

You're welcome.

• Disagree
Reactions: 1101011
Don't worry, the person who replied is our resident troll.
You'll have great road trips without a drop of fuel. There are plenty of superchargers, and there'll be many more by the end of 2018.
The only snag is you won't want to rent an ICE after driving a Tesla.

Accusing others of trolling, is in its own way, also trolling. I won't resort to name calling, but you're showing typical Tesla mentality - suppress any negative information, and if it is presented, accuse that person of trolling.

Accusing others of trolling, is in its own way, also trolling. I won't resort to name calling, but you're showing typical Tesla mentality - suppress any negative information, and if it is presented, accuse that person of trolling.
Making inciteful comments like "bye bye road trips" without backing it up with the reasoning is trolling. Post however you like, but don't get defensive when people jump down your neck because you want to be the peanut gallery.

Reactions: ohmman