Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just mashed the pedal on a Performance Model 3, OMG!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
City driving is highly dependent on climate, length of drive, etc.

It's so situationally dependent that I have zero issue believing one story of someone having great efficiency, and another that has half the efficiency of what's advertised.

My own commute to work is terrible in terms of efficiency, but it's not something I particularly care about.

All I really care about is 70+ mph for 200 miles.

These is where wheel size really matters.
Speaking of half the efficiency - I was expecting not meeting rated range but this is pretty bad. Not launching much, driving normally, it’s been hot though and short trips, so to be expected I guess.
34FA96FC-506F-4486-95A9-759D4DFC898E.jpeg

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
Speaking of half the efficiency - I was expecting not meeting rated range but this is pretty bad. Not launching much, driving normally, it’s been hot though and short trips, so to be expected I guess.

Regularly checking data like that seems to me to be a sure-fire way to ensure that you're ALWAYS worried about something that shouldn't concern you at all...

🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Phlier and TBrownTX
I'm not worried - and I like data. This is great aggregation info.

I think you should collect extra data until the time comes that you can reliably predict on your own how much energy you're really using to get from A to B.

I'm like you... just got the Perf 3. And I'm not seeing the range that the car purports before we set off on a drive either.

Last weekend, we charged up to 220 miles of range. Drove 100-ish round trip miles, and had 80 miles of range left when we pulled back in the driveway. My wife was driving... and she didn't speed or mega-mash the pedal except one time to get on the freeway. So if we keep seeing data that supports a notion that ~20% of range just vanishes into thin air, it'll affect how we plan road trips.

I think you should collect extra data until the time comes that you can reliably predict on your own how much energy you're really using to get from A to B.

I'm like you... just got the Perf 3. And I'm not seeing the range that the car purports before we set off on a drive either.

Last weekend, we charged up to 220 miles of range. Drove 100-ish round trip miles, and had 80 miles of range left when we pulled back in the driveway. My wife was driving... and she didn't speed or mega-mash the pedal except one time to get on the freeway. So if we keep seeing data that supports a notion that ~20% of range just vanishes into thin air, it'll affect how we plan road trips.
What really annoyed me with the Perf 3 is they used smaller wheels for the EPA range, and not the wheels sold with the car.

On trips at freeway speeds the wheel size plays a major role in the range.

Once my 20's get sufficiently worn to replace I'll likely switch to 18" or 19" tires to get a bit more range.

It's 200 miles from my house to a hotel I like that has destination charging. So I just need a bit range to do the 200 mile trip where I leave with 90% SOC.

Plus I'll need a bit more sidewall if I want to use FSD Beta assuming it gets released on Sep 25th.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki and Adam3
What really annoyed me with the Perf 3 is they used smaller wheels for the EPA range, and not the wheels sold with the car.

Once my 20's get sufficiently worn to replace I'll likely switch to 18" or 19" tires to get a bit more range.

It's 200 miles from my house to a hotel I like that has destination charging. So I just need a bit range to do the 200 mile trip where I leave with 90% SOC.

Plus I'll need a bit more sidewall if I want to use FSD Beta assuming it gets released on Sep 25th.

What? How did Tesla pull that off? I'm used to the EPA (and thus what they let be printed on a Monroney) having to have the exact base content for the car. If the 20" were optional on a Performance 3, I'd understand why the optioned wheels may be different. But since all Performance 3 comes with the 20" uberturbine I don't see how Tesla snuck in 19"

What? How did Tesla pull that off? I'm used to the EPA (and thus what they let be printed on a Monroney) having to have the exact base content for the car. If the 20" were optional on a Performance 3, I'd understand why the optioned wheels may be different. But since all Performance 3 comes with the 20" uberturbine I don't see how Tesla snuck in 19"

Performance, when originally launched, came with 18s.

The 20s were an option (part of the Performance Upgrade Package on top of buying the base performance model). That's where the terms P3D- and P3D+ came from, it was shorthand to indicate if the specific car was + or - that optional package.

They eventually made the + version the default, and the old base performance became a unicorn that would occasionally show up in inventory but could no longer be ordered from the factory.

Lots of areas in the country don't have enough sunlight to make it worth putting up the solar. In California, it makes complete sense as the cost of fuel is really high (near $5) and solar installations are relatively inexpensive as you need less panels due to the amount of sun we get.

The price of "gas" has no bearing on the PV installation debate, as you have an EV then you only look at the grid kWh cost v PV

Performance, when originally launched, came with 18s.

The 20s were an option (part of the Performance Upgrade Package on top of buying the base performance model). That's where the terms P3D- and P3D+ came from, it was shorthand to indicate if the specific car was + or - that optional package.

They eventually made the + version the default, and the old base performance became a unicorn that would occasionally show up in inventory but could no longer be ordered from the factory.

Yeah and once optional equipment becomes standard... the EPA usually requires another run through their test for the Monroney. It prevents an automaker from initially passing with some wonky build and then selling monster V8's as standard while milking the old Monroney.

Reactions: JohnnyMa

Is it the size of the wheel or the type of wheel? Isn't the outside diameter of the tires all the same between the 18's, 19's, and 20's? I read somewhere that the 18" wheel with the aero covers made a notable difference in range. I do not believe the 19's and 20's are offered with the area covers?

Is it the size of the wheel or the type of wheel? Isn't the outside diameter of the tires all the same between the 18's, 19's, and 20's? I read somewhere that the 18" wheel with the aero covers made a notable difference in range. I do not believe the 19's and 20's are offered with the area covers?

Ain’t no one slapping covers on my Uberturbines man. Range be damned!

Tim

Wheel design is one factor, but the tires’ rolling resistance is the bigger factor. The Michelin Primacy on the SR+ and LR has much lower rolling resistance (and far less cornering traction) than the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S that’s standard on the Performance model.

Wheel design is one factor, but the tires’ rolling resistance is the bigger factor. The Michelin Primacy on the SR+ and LR has much lower rolling resistance (and far less cornering traction) than the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S that’s standard on the Performance model.
This is also why the tires are all so stretched on these cars - more tread face on the road means more rolling resistance. Great for the track and handling, poor for efficiency.

• Informative
Reactions: TBrownTX
This was back in 2018 so it was a bit different back then.

Back then my configuration was called the P3D+ as the 20inch tires, bigger brakes, etc was part of the + package.

What annoyed me is they should have tested the plus package since it was what they really intended people to buy who were getting the performance version.

Then a little bit after I bought they got rid of the none plus package.

Porsche did essentially the opposite where they tested with wheels then they discovered that hardly anyone was getting the large tires so they retested with smaller tires.

Haha.

The EPA rating are really kind of a joke.

BTW, turn off obstacle aware acceleration...

Is that still causing issues/delayed starts when accelerating?

I’d love to know as well. I’ve had mine on.

Why did you turn it off in the first place? To me it seems like a good safety feature. I use it.

I’d love to know more. Collecting my car in a few weeks so I’ll be doing lots of.. demonstrating.

this system will retard your launch if you are at the line (stop light). if there is another car next to you and you are both starting at the same time, when you put your foot in the tank, your take off will be delayed for a second until you pass the car next to you then the full power comes out. once i noticed this (model 3P with 20s) and the road is safe in front of me to put my foot in the tank, ill usually either keep just a bit back from the line or move it a bit past the car/vehicle next to me so this does not happen.

i also agree this option is helpful so i keep it activated.

Reactions: TBrownTX