Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just me losing phone connection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the 2 updates in the last 3 or 4 weeks I keep needing to reset bluetooth to open door, etc. Car is March 2018 and the Android phone was initially problematic t it has been great (98% problem free) for over 2 years. I did a reboot which hasn't helped. I haven't deleted the phone and paired it again (can you say chicken?) All other phone Tesla app functions seem fine. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Ron

I haven't deleted the phone and paired it again

This is what you need to try. your phone may have worked for 2 years "problem free" but your phone and your car have likely received dozens of updates over that time. Try removing both the phone from the car and the car from the phone (leaving alone any strange named bluetooth connections, because those are likely "phone as key" connections and do not need to be removed for this.

I've noticed the same recently. Initially I had many "phone as key" issues (similar 2018 vehicle as you, and same "phone as key" problems as you for the first 6-12 months). But then--I think it was with a particular app update that had the persistent notifications to keep it "awake" (although I hid the persistent notifications) it had been rock solid for a long time. Now, for the past month or two maybe, it's gone back to being unreliable, requiring a quick toggle of airplane mode to get the key to connect again.

I'm so disappointed because I figured they either resolved whatever Bluetooth issues they had, or the underlying Bluetooth drivers in the phone had matured, or whatever--the problem had finally been solved, and now, it's baaaack!

Similar issue. After upgrading to ios15 must use keycard to unlock car. Have tried turning Bluetooth off and back on. Also have tried deleting phone from car and reinstalling it. Once the car is unlocked I am able to drive without using the keycard. Any suggestions with solving the issue is appreciate. (Note: No issues with our other iPhone which is still operating on 14.8)

Same issue but only happened a couple times—once couldn’t unlock door and once couldn’t unplug charger. Just fiddling with app eventually connected phone to car. Have 2021 M3LR and iPhone 12 Pro with iOS 15.0.1 and Tesla app 4.2.0.

Yesterday I was stopped at a road construction area with an automated red light (like the one in the photo). I put the car in park so I could undo the seatbelt and take off my sweater. When the light switched to green to let the line of cars through, the car didn't recognize my phone key. Luckily I always have a card in my wallet, and I was able to hustle and get things going.

The queue behind me would not have been happy if I'd had to cycle bluetooth, etc.

Zone.png

Yesterday I was stopped at a road construction area with an automated red light (like the one in the photo). I put the car in park so I could undo the seatbelt and take off my sweater. When the light switched to green to let the line of cars through, the car didn't recognize my phone key. Luckily I always have a card in my wallet, and I was able to hustle and get things going.

The queue behind me would not have been happy if I'd had to cycle bluetooth, etc.

View attachment 727486
Maybe the $175 for the key fob is worth the price to avoid this sort of aggravation?