Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just me, or do voice controls not work 50% of the time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
50% of the time when I press and hold the right ball nothing happens and it displays a text prompt that says something like "say" ...whatever examples it says. Most of the time I can't do bug reports because the thing doesn't hear my voice.

Is it just me?

Voice control is desperately in need of major improvement. No amount of UI design will fix the biggest problem with the MCU - that you have to look at it to use it. It’s more unsafe than using a cell phone while driving. When Tesla addresses this problem with a significant improvement to voice control, and it works nearly flawlessly with a wide and versatile range of commands, we will all wonder how we got by without it.
I would like to see Tesla start with a small range of commonly used commands that work reliably, say for the hvac controls. Once this works reliably for a subset of the controls I think the demand will go way up and the path for development and prioritization will become clear. But the biggest motivation ought to be improved safety on the road.

I only use voice controls for the phone. I had multiple instances when the voice control does not seem to recognize anything I say. Once that happens, it does not reset on its own (say with overnight parking) - I have to do a hard reset to restore it.

No question more voice controls are desperately needed--I could control almost everything with my C-max. I would say a high priority is the windshield wiper controls--the auto setting generally isn't fast enough for me, so when the light ran changes to a deluge, I'm desperately jabbing at the screen, which by the way, in a moving car isn't exactly successful every time. Or I just press the stalk single-wipe function over and over again until I can safely change the wiper setting. Definitely not a good situation.

Mine works like sh!t. Works less than 25% of the time. In fact I think the only time it works is when stationary, or slow. Never, never on the highway. Even for submitting bug reports.

I also noticed a few people complaining about the Bluetooth phone voice quality. Do they use the same mic? Might I have a problem?

Reactions: 16Coma
Wow, I wonder what the difference is? Even though there are only 3 main voice commands — call, play, and drive (navigate) — I find it to be the most useful feature that I wasn’t expecting. I get better than 90% recognition and my wife is totally jealous compared to her 2016 BMW 4 series. You can say things like “drive to fast food” and get a list of nearby places. “Drive to rest stop” and it will list upcoming state rest stops. Even “drive to urgent care”. I find it to be totally amazing and very useful.

Wow, I wonder what the difference is? Even though there are only 3 main voice commands — call, play, and drive (navigate) — I find it to be the most useful feature that I wasn’t expecting. I get better than 90% recognition and my wife is totally jealous compared to her 2016 BMW 4 series. You can say things like “drive to fast food” and get a list of nearby places. “Drive to rest stop” and it will list upcoming state rest stops. Even “drive to urgent care”. I find it to be totally amazing and very useful.

Yeah it's great cause it's an online speech recognition model, I think someone before said they used Google's API for speech reconigition? Most cars only have an offline model so they're limited to just a few canned phrases. The trade-off is the online model breaks when there's no connectivity. I can't set navigation via voice when I'm in an underground garage, which is a bummer.

50% of the time when I press and hold the right ball nothing happens and it displays a text prompt that says something like "say" ...whatever examples it says. Most of the time I can't do bug reports because the thing doesn't hear my voice.

Is it just me?

I rarely use it apart from navigation. I would really like voice control to work well. Siri and Alexa and Google have made huge strides in voice recognition; Tesla needs to figure out how to integrate. On the plus side, when I have my iphone on the wireless charging mat I can ask Siri to make calls and to send text messages and for other info and she responds over the car's audio system, which is nice.