Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just noticed large scratch on bumper. :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have had the car 3 weeks and just noticed the scratch this evening while showing the car off to my buddy. Had the car in to have a scuffed rim replaced from delivery yesterday but didn't notice it after I picked it up. So it either happened at the service center or sometime today. I don't think it's from me because I've been very careful obviously. Anyway it sucks but whatever something was bound to happen. Suggestions? Take it to body shop, dealer, or just buy touch up paint and do myself?

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180519_195231.jpg
    MVIMG_20180519_195231.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 413
I think that's a fortunate place to have a scratch if you are going to get one. It's low on the car, likely hard to see, and probably an easy place to get another scratch so paying any significant money to have it fixed is likely not worth it. I'd carefully touch it up, forget about it, and live life happily with an awesome car.

I'm always bewildered at how many people say their car comes back with a scratch etc after service at a dealership or shop. It would make my blood boil, but sometimes the end result of addressing it is not greater than effort involved.

I bought a new Triumph motorcycle years ago, and it came with a plastic tank. After a year, the sides of the plastic tank "sucked in" a bit, and the tank was slightly deformed. I went through a lot of effort with Triumph to get a new tank, as I felt this was unacceptable for a new bike. They finally agreed, and sent the dealer a new tank which was installed. The new one wasn't deformed, but had small hairline fractures in the paint on one of the sides, you could feel them. Oh, and the shade of yellow was slightly different. Now I had a tank that didn't match my bike, and was still flawed. I asked for the original tank back. "Sorry, that has been sent back to Triumph". F-word. Sometimes being happy is your best option.