TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Just noticed large scratch on bumper. :(

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by harcocjh, May 19, 2018.

1. harcocjh

harcocjh Member

Have had the car 3 weeks and just noticed the scratch this evening while showing the car off to my buddy. Had the car in to have a scuffed rim replaced from delivery yesterday but didn't notice it after I picked it up. So it either happened at the service center or sometime today. I don't think it's from me because I've been very careful obviously. Anyway it sucks but whatever something was bound to happen. Suggestions? Take it to body shop, dealer, or just buy touch up paint and do myself?

Attached Files:

2. buddhra

buddhra Member

Depends on what expertise you have available in your area really, but a skilled detailer could touch it up, sand it down, and buff it out without having to get the whole thing painted.

3. firelegend

firelegend Member

Tesla sells paint kits also.

4. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Touch up ... :cool:

5. Timo

Timo Member

I think that's a fortunate place to have a scratch if you are going to get one. It's low on the car, likely hard to see, and probably an easy place to get another scratch so paying any significant money to have it fixed is likely not worth it. I'd carefully touch it up, forget about it, and live life happily with an awesome car.

• Like x 2
  6. Teslie

Teslie Member

Its just a car. Enjoy it, forget the scratch

7. harcocjh

harcocjh Member

Thanks guys I agree it could be worse so I'm not that upset. I think I'll pay the $55 for the touch up kit from Tesla. That way I have it for any future issues. It really is an amazing car!

• Like x 1
  8. barjohn

barjohn Member

In my area there are mobile paint guys that would come out and fix it so you couldn't tell for about $275 (would be $250 but clear coat adds another $25) and then get it PPFed to limit future scratches, stone chips, etc.

9. Henchman

Henchman Member

Is that residue from the surface scratched, or is that paint that has been scuffed off?

10. Henchman

Henchman Member

Upon closer look, looks like paint is gone.
    I'd try the DOIY repair first. Take your time.
    Worst case, you have to get mobile guys to fix it.

11. Timo

Timo Member

I'm always bewildered at how many people say their car comes back with a scratch etc after service at a dealership or shop. It would make my blood boil, but sometimes the end result of addressing it is not greater than effort involved.

I bought a new Triumph motorcycle years ago, and it came with a plastic tank. After a year, the sides of the plastic tank "sucked in" a bit, and the tank was slightly deformed. I went through a lot of effort with Triumph to get a new tank, as I felt this was unacceptable for a new bike. They finally agreed, and sent the dealer a new tank which was installed. The new one wasn't deformed, but had small hairline fractures in the paint on one of the sides, you could feel them. Oh, and the shade of yellow was slightly different. Now I had a tank that didn't match my bike, and was still flawed. I asked for the original tank back. "Sorry, that has been sent back to Triumph". F-word. Sometimes being happy is your best option.