Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just noticed this paint defect, is this a major issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The detailer pointed out this paint defect on the side of the trunk on the inside, so you can only see it when you open the trunk. Is this a major issue? It looks to be smooth the touch so maybe some kind of dust or something under the primer? I reported it to Tesla service but not sure what they'll do or what I should have them do.

20210706_212433.jpg

Spider eggs! :oops:. But seriously, I had a few bolt heads and nearly bare metal areas near the door brackets that Tesla mobile fixed up after delivery. They will probably fix this as well.
Thanks I'm glad they fixed yours and hopefully they can fix mine also! Mine looks like they put the clear coat over the area hopefully it's fixable without going to a bodyshop.

Last edited:
Mobile service actually said it looks like based on the photo I need to take the car into a service center and may ended up in a bodyshop. I'm debating on whether to do it or not. I asked them if this is a cosmetic issue or any long term damage like peeling rusting. But at least I got it documented. I'm concerned the bodyshop will do some other damage and then it'll be worse than what it is now.

Tempest2001: could you post a photo from a greater distance? I can't quite tell what you photographed.
If' it's not in your constant line of sight, I'd leave it alone, but I'd like to see exactly where it is on your car.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Tempest2001: could you post a photo from a greater distance? I can't quite tell what you photographed.
If' it's not in your constant line of sight, I'd leave it alone, but I'd like to see exactly where it is on your car.
Here's another view. You can't see it until you open the trunk and look at it directly. The only thing is I don't know if this is bubbling/peeling or what kind of effect, you can feel the bumpiness but it is slippery to the touch like they specifically put a clearcoat over it and yet you can feel the bump underneath.

Attachments

• 20210707_152515.jpg
    20210707_152515.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 113
  • Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I say get it touched up or it will bother you forever.
Yeah they changed my mobile service to service center appointment to inspect further. If they send it to a detailer for touch up I think I'm good with it, but bodyshop to get the whole trunk repainted I'll need to think about it, especially if it's only cosmetic but I'm not an expert in car paint to know what kind of defect it is.

From what I can tell, that's seems to be an oily finger/hand print of sorts that wasn't wiped/prepped properly prior to laying down primer. As you can imagine, primer or paint won't stick to oil too well. It was then sprayed with clear coat that just covered the bumps underneath. I would think the SC would have to send it out to a bodyshop to sand the area down and prime/paint/clear coat.

From what I can tell, that's seems to be an oily finger/hand print of sorts that wasn't wiped/prepped properly prior to laying down primer. As you can imagine, primer or paint won't stick to oil too well. It was then sprayed with clear coat that just covered the bumps underneath. I would think the SC would have to send it out to a bodyshop to sand the area down and prime/paint/clear coat.
Thanks. Hopefully this is not major repair reading all the negative stuff about bodyshop.

I think it kind of unique - kind of like a birthmark. If it doesn't show when the hatch is closed, I personally would live with it. YMMV
Honestly that was going to be my plan when I hit the service center. 1) Is this cosmetic only and not some bubble caused by moisture undeneath or something 2) If it is, can you touch up the paint here at service center by your detailer or service staff 3) If it's cosmetic and you can't fix it here has to go to the body shop then let me delay the repair until later when I'm ready. But I just want to make sure they look at it and I got it documented in case in the future it's not cosmetic and start peeling off rusted or something that I'm on my own. But I have a feeling it's just a cosmetic defect so I'll probably just live with it since I can't see it unless the trunk is open.

Reactions: Schulz1983
Honestly that was going to be my plan when I hit the service center. 1) Is this cosmetic only and not some bubble caused by moisture undeneath or something 2) If it is, can you touch up the paint here at service center by your detailer or service staff 3) If it's cosmetic and you can't fix it here has to go to the body shop then let me delay the repair until later when I'm ready. But I just want to make sure they look at it and I got it documented in case in the future it's not cosmetic and start peeling off rusted or something that I'm on my own. But I have a feeling it's just a cosmetic defect so I'll probably just live with it since I can't see it unless the trunk is open.
Tesla has a warranty on rust anyway. It looks like an oily mark painted over to me. I agree with some others that I wouldn’t fix it. The hatch would most likely be removed and you know they won’t line it back up right. If you have one that is lined up I would leave it alone. The horror stories I have seen on here. I was lucky and received a Y that needed no adjustment.

I think you have a good solid plan - stick with it.

Ok so I just came back from service center. Basically the deal is just like what we expected, only way to fix it is their approved bodyshop and they will only fix it this one time I can't delay it say for a later date and it will takes 10 days to get it done. Furthermore, they got to literally take the liftgate apart to do it and they have to order and replace the liftgate assembly when they take it apart. I was like wo wo wo hold it right there, is this cosmetic only issue that has long term effect, they go they can't guarantee it isn't but it does look cosmetic and if it is cosmetic it usually have no effect but won't confirm if it's cosmetic or not to protect themselves I think. So anyways I took the car back and told them I'm going to think it through. But ultimately I think I'm just going to hold off and if in the future if it has any issue I'll just go to a detailer/paint place to fix just the area, not sure I can trust their bodyshop to take everything apart and get it right. That 10 days might turn into 30 days.

Reactions: AlexHung