Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered 2016 P90DL, battery concerns?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is my first post. I am coming from a Nissan Leaf.

I've been paying attention to the Tesla website for a used Model S for a while now. I stumbled across a Feb 2016 build P90DL with 45089 miles for $54600. Seemed like a really good price so I ordered it.

Options include:

Model S P90D
All-Wheel Drive
Range Upgrade
Obsidian Black Metallic Paint
All Glass Panoramic Roof
19" Silver Cyclone Wheels
Black Next Generation Seats
Glossy Obeche Wood Décor
Black Alcantara Headliner
Ludicrous Speed Upgrade
Tesla Red Brake Calipers
Free Supercharging
Autopilot Hardware 1 with Convenience Features
Premium Interior and Lighting
Smart Air Suspension
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Subzero Weather Package

After doing a little more research on the battery of this gen I am a little concerned, it seems like it has a lot of degradation issues. Coming from a Leaf I know all about that.

Do P90DL batteries have similar concerns as the P90D batteries? Should I steer clear of this one?

I don't remember the details, but if it's a replaced later gen battery, nothing to worry about. You can find the sticker online and check if your battery was replaced (or maybe ask Tesla).

If it is the old battery, at least you have a long warranty for it :)

And that price is amazing...

Reactions: schwantz
I have a 2016 90D (non-performance). Built in June 2016 (just after the front fascia refresh). The original range at 100% charge was 294 miles and the 80% charge was 235 miles. Yesterday it charged to 80% and reported 232 miles. That is less than 2% degradation. The mileage on the car is 32,577. I have heard reports of degradation with the 90-series batteries, but I haven't seen anything on my car. I've also heard that if you supercharge enough times, it will eventually permanently reduce the charge rate a bit to protect the batteries (not enough to be a really big deal).

• Informative
Reactions: DirtyT3sla
I just bought a car of exactly the same vintage / flavor (march 2016 S90D) as you. I freaked out and almost didn't buy the car because:
  • yellow border MCU!
  • MCU LAG LAG!
  • failing battery!
  • suspension clunks!
  • air shocks leak!
  • tesla is going out of business!
Ultimately I pulled the trigger; my biggest disappointment so far is that I ended up with a gen 1 mobile charger.

Why did I plunk down all the $$ when the car was obviously going to turn into a haunted nightmare?
  • selection bias: the people happy with their screens and suspensions and batteries don't bother to post; the number of happy customers is at present unknown.
  • I'm gambling that tesla will remain solvent; their product seems pretty good
  • I'm gambling that if tesla doesn't remain solvent whoever buys the assets will honor warranties (I hope, if there is a bankupt situation, they pull a GM and not a Daewoo; Daewoo open for business on warranty work )
It isn't reasonable to assume that in 5 years (near the end of the powertrain warranty) tesla will be struggling. Either they will have figured out their battery supply chain / manufacturing / support woes and be pumping out Ys and 3s and piloting trucks and semis or the tesla assets will be owned by an independent Apple / VWAG subsidiary ("VWappleAG")

In 5 (more) years battery will:
  • degrade 20% and you'll have a range of 170 miles
  • the pack will have a module fail and it'll be replaced by a rebuilt pack
  • the pack will have a module fail and it'll be replaced by a pack with new chemistry / 18650 cells
  • the pack will have a module fail and it'll be replaced by a pack with new chemistry / 2170 cells
  • the pack will be "fine" and you'll have 8-10% degradation
Looking at the lifecycle of the roadster, I suspect there will be an expensive retrofit kit to put a new battery pack / motor into all Ss, once tesla has the bandwidth to support their legacy halo cars (such as how Mercedes still "supports" their antique cars, for sufficient coin).

BTW -- I just visited my "new" car (march 2016 S 90D with 45k miles)...

Battery is 1063792-00-A (I believe that is the "bad" pack).

I still don't have home charging properly situated and I wanted to stop by the SC to mention that one of the tires seems to have a slow leak.

I put it on the supercharger and charged it to 80 while talking to various people.

The range given at 80% is 222 miles, which translates to 277 miles? While that may indeed be well short of the EPA new rating, I was cross shopping this car against a 70d or 75d.

My old P90DL was build in the same month as the one you linked. I had a V2 battery pack (1071394-00-A). Max power output was 494kW under Ludicrous and max battery ready.

If I were to make a bet, I would say this car has a V2 pack.

So this is my first post. I am coming from a Nissan Leaf.

I've been paying attention to the Tesla website for a used Model S for a while now. I stumbled across a Feb 2016 build P90DL with 45089 miles for $54600. Seemed like a really good price so I ordered it.

Options include:

Model S P90D
All-Wheel Drive
Range Upgrade
Obsidian Black Metallic Paint
All Glass Panoramic Roof
19" Silver Cyclone Wheels
Black Next Generation Seats
Glossy Obeche Wood Décor
Black Alcantara Headliner
Ludicrous Speed Upgrade
Tesla Red Brake Calipers
Free Supercharging
Autopilot Hardware 1 with Convenience Features
Premium Interior and Lighting
Smart Air Suspension
Ultra High Fidelity Sound
Subzero Weather Package

After doing a little more research on the battery of this gen I am a little concerned, it seems like it has a lot of degradation issues. Coming from a Leaf I know all about that.

Do P90DL batteries have similar concerns as the P90D batteries? Should I steer clear of this one?

That is an extraordinarily good price considering the car is well optioned and is below 50k miles, which means 4 years of warranty instead of 2. The only thing you're missing that I can see is 21"s instead of 19" and even in that case it's debatable how much you'd be 'missing' it. Go for it.

That is an extraordinarily good price considering the car is well optioned and is below 50k miles, which means 4 years of warranty instead of 2. The only thing you're missing that I can see is 21"s instead of 19" and even in that case it's debatable how much you'd be 'missing' it. Go for it.

The 21's and the spoiler. I've read that the 20's might be a better option for me as I live in upstate NY. What's your opinion?

The 21's and the spoiler. I've read that the 20's might be a better option for me as I live in upstate NY. What's your opinion?

Depends on how much you care about 'looks'. I'd say just stick with the 19"s. Switching to 21" instantly robs you of like 10 miles of range, and unless you are a "driver's driver" type of dude I don't think you'll notice the better handling characteristics of the 21", but you'll probably feel it being less comfortable. Plus it's more expensive.

Thanks for the info...I am shopping for a model s performance version and am struggling on a choice, my wallet prefers the current pricing of a p85d, but my eyes like the looks of the p90dl fronts...and I could deal with the p90d front fascia before the lift if needed (meaning if price was good). I currently drive a 2013 s7 and it's about to leave the comfort of my extended warranty.

I would appreciate any thoughts/advice on which trim level!!

Thanks for the info...I am shopping for a model s performance version and am struggling on a choice, my wallet prefers the current pricing of a p85d, but my eyes like the looks of the p90dl fronts...and I could deal with the p90d front fascia before the lift if needed (meaning if price was good). I currently drive a 2013 s7 and it's about to leave the comfort of my extended warranty.

I would appreciate any thoughts/advice on which trim level!!

I think this is an impossible question -- there are a craptillion combinations of different interiors on the S.

I just trawled ev-cpo.com until I found a car that seemed like the right combination of required features for me (big-block battery (85 or larger), AWD, winter package, 4 year warranty, AP1 or better, can't be white or black. I compromised on some things (ended up with air suspension even though I was worried about it, didn't get 3rd row seats even though I kinda wanted them, didn't get super stereo, etc).

I like the premium interior in my 2016 and I don't mind the pre-facelift look. The leather is a little fragile and already has a couple scratches from careless fingernails or rings. I personally don't need any better than the speed of a "normal" 90d; even coming from a S7 I don't think you'd be saddened by ordinary performance and you do lose a non-trivial amount of range going to a P series.

As far as the 90 series battery goes, there are unhappy people with the 90 series battery; I have a first generation / series 1 90 battery pack and I find that it is "good enough" in that I get 251 miles at 90% and am never patient enough to let the car actually charge all the way to 100%. It does what I need it to and likely will continue to do what's needed even if the battery loses another 10-20 miles of range. Would I be happy about it? No; but it is good enough for what I use it for that I won't notice. I avoided the smaller batteries specifically because I wasn't sure I'd be able to use the car as I want to if the smaller battery loses a non-trivial amount of range.

Last edited:
The front can be swapped if it's a deal breaker. I was in the same boat as you - I preferred the facelifted cars, but could not swallow that expensive pill. It was a $10k - $15k difference. I am happy with my P85DL and its very nice battery - still goes to 251 at 100% with 49k on the clock, down from an original of 253. AP started to "improve" on the later cars, but that was not a concern to me. I find AP1 works great. You may also be able to get a P85D with the + suspension (no longer offered) if you find a car delivered before April of '15.

I think this is an impossible question -- there are a craptillion combinations of different interiors on the S.

I just trawled ev-cpo.com until I found a car that seemed like the right combination of required features for me (big-block battery (85 or larger), AWD, winter package, 4 year warranty, AP1 or better, can't be white or black. I compromised on some things (ended up with air suspension even though I was worried about it, didn't get 3rd row seats even though I kinda wanted them, didn't get super stereo, etc).

I like the premium interior in my 2016 and I don't mind the pre-facelift look. The leather is a little fragile and already has a couple scratches from careless fingernails or rings. I personally don't need any better than the speed of a "normal" 90d; even coming from a S7 I don't think you'd be saddened by ordinary performance and you do lose a non-trivial amount of range going to a P series.
Thanks for responding, my main concerns are battery degradation and posts I have read about battery issues with the 90 batteries. I am willing to give up several "perks" such as massaging seats, HUD, and night vision assist to get a Tesla. I really appreciate all the feedback re performance, etc. Thank you!