Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered a 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just placed my order for a 90D with everything except for the cold climate option. Delivery is scheduled for April. This forum seems to be populated with sensible, helpful people so I look forward to asking a lot of questions and hopefully being able to contribute eventually. I'm currently a member of another maker's car club and I notice there's a Tesla club in Sydney so I'll be joining that as soon as I receive the car. :smile:

I've just placed my order for a 90D with everything except for the cold climate option. Delivery is scheduled for April. This forum seems to be populated with sensible, helpful people so I look forward to asking a lot of questions and hopefully being able to contribute eventually. I'm currently a member of another maker's car club and I notice there's a Tesla club in Sydney so I'll be joining that as soon as I receive the car. :smile:

Congratulations Homer!! What colour did you go for? Keep the questions coming... this is a really good group with lots of helpful people

Congratulations Homer!! What colour did you go for? Keep the questions coming... this is a really good group with lots of helpful people 

Thanks Colina! I have two white cars at the moment (though one will be sold once the MS arrives) so I like white cars...but I felt that I should have a change and was heading towards the new blue which I thought looked dynamic and modern in the official marketing shots. I was planning to pair that with the grey interior and the black headliner.

I visited Tesla yesterday where they had a blue inside and, as luck would have it, a customer was supercharging a blue outside so I got to see it under several conditions. And it just didn't rock my boat; very disappointing. Just to be clear though, I'm not criticising the blue colour. This is a very personal decision and no doubt it's an excellent colour for some and there is no such thing as the "wrong" colour. But it just didn't work for me.

So...I've ordered pearl white, the grey turbine wheels, red callipers, pano roof and the spoiler on the outside with black on the inside. The black interior was my wife's specification as we have two young children and she's worried about how the lighter colours will look over time with the kids climbing on the seats. I am nothing if not predictable... :wink:

Thanks Colina! I have two white cars at the moment (though one will be sold once the MS arrives) so I like white cars...but I felt that I should have a change and was heading towards the new blue which I thought looked dynamic and modern in the official marketing shots. I was planning to pair that with the grey interior and the black headliner.

I visited Tesla yesterday where they had a blue inside and, as luck would have it, a customer was supercharging a blue outside so I got to see it under several conditions. And it just didn't rock my boat; very disappointing. Just to be clear though, I'm not criticising the blue colour. This is a very personal decision and no doubt it's an excellent colour for some and there is no such thing as the "wrong" colour. But it just didn't work for me.

So...I've ordered pearl white, the grey turbine wheels, red callipers, pano roof and the spoiler on the outside with black on the inside. The black interior was my wife's specification as we have two young children and she's worried about how the lighter colours will look over time with the kids climbing on the seats. I am nothing if not predictable... :wink:
Welcome - Mine's Pearl White with Black interior; had her since March 2015 (25k KM). Looks great but white is normally considered the Queensland colour :tongue:
They do say, although the 21" wheels look better, the 19" last better, are more efficient, bla, bla. (I've got the 19"s).

Welcome Homer.
Pearl white with black interior will look great.
Lucky you ordered the 21's. My wife's S with 19's seems to attract punctures, whereas my 85D with 21's is much friendlier on the tyre front.:confused:
Now you have the loooong wait until you recieve the most amazing car ever produced.

Welcome - Mine's Pearl White with Black interior; had her since March 2015 (25k KM). Looks great but white is normally considered the Queensland colour :tongue:

I am a Queenslander but have been living in Sydney for the last 14 years so maybe that's why I subconsciously lean towards white cars. :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome Homer.
Pearl white with black interior will look great.
Lucky you ordered the 21's. My wife's S with 19's seems to attract punctures, whereas my 85D with 21's is much friendlier on the tyre front.:confused:
Now you have the loooong wait until you recieve the most amazing car ever produced.

Thanks Paul. I've got a convertible that I'll be selling once the 90D arrives so I'm attempting to deal with the 3-month wait by telling myself that I'll be making the most of the convertible over summer and then slipping into the 90D just as the cooler weather arrives. It may not be completely true but it's how I intend to cope. :wink:

Welcome Homer...

My Model S is flat white, sunroof, 21inch grey turbine wheels with the carbon fibre spoiler also....I also got the black interior with the generation 2 seats....it's a great look and your wife is wise ;-) young kids here too.

-ECIT

Last edited:

I like white cars too and stuck with that for mine. Great combo you've ordered and my only advice is to enjoy the long wait by learning a lot about the car, charging, the company, read the Elon Musk biography etc. that's what I've done and it's been a real joy. My car is on a ship now and due in 3 weeks or so.

Welcome Homer...

Mine Model S is flat white, sunroof, 21inch grey turbine wheels with the carbon fibre spoiler also....I also got the black interior with the generation 2 seats....it's a great look and you're wife is wise ;-) young kids here too.

-ECIT

Thanks for the welcome! My wife has a Lexus RX hybrid with black interior (which I may replace with a Model X down the road...) and even though it's 3 years old it still looks good inside so she is probably right about the black leather :).

- - - Updated - - -

I like white cars too and stuck with that for mine. Great combo you've ordered and my only advice is to enjoy the long wait by learning a lot about the car, charging, the company, read the Elon Musk biography etc. that's what I've done and it's been a real joy. My car is on a ship now and due in 3 weeks or so.

Three weeks - it must be getting exciting now. Have you already got the charger setup in your garage? I thought they might deliver that in advance so you can be ready.

Three weeks - it must be getting exciting now. Have you already got the charger setup in your garage? I thought they might deliver that in advance so you can be ready.

Yes, just a tad excited now . Yes, my charger is ready to go. You'll get your charger well in advance so you can have it all set up. The 230V single phase 40A 11kW HPWC if your car has a single charger or if you have dual chargers (which I ordered) then you can get the 400V 3 phase 32A 22kW charger. By the time your car arrives they "should" be available. I have the single phase charger installed which they'll swap over no charge when the others arrive.

Yes, just a tad excited now . Yes, my charger is ready to go. You'll get your charger well in advance so you can have it all set up. The 230V single phase 40A 11kW HPWC if your car has a single charger or if you have dual chargers (which I ordered) then you can get the 400V 3 phase 32A 22kW charger. By the time your car arrives they "should" be available. I have the single phase charger installed which they'll swap over no charge when the others arrive.

Interesting. I didn't see an option to add a second charger to the car when I ordered. I think the sales guy told me this was something to add after ordering or after delivery but I am likely confused. I'm not overly concerned though as I am under the impression that the single charger is enough to charge the car from empty to full in about eight hours and that adding a second charger halves that time. If I'm wrong about any of this please go ahead and educate me. I need all the help I can get! :)

Interesting. I didn't see an option to add a second charger to the car when I ordered. I think the sales guy told me this was something to add after ordering or after delivery but I am likely confused. I'm not overly concerned though as I am under the impression that the single charger is enough to charge the car from empty to full in about eight hours and that adding a second charger halves that time. If I'm wrong about any of this please go ahead and educate me. I need all the help I can get! :)

No, you are spot on. The second charger is in their accessories price list and is added in Sydney after the car arrives and before delivery. I got it primarily to allow faster charges when on the road (I do quite a few country trips). For home chargibg IMO its not necessary.

Good choosing Homer. The black interior can heat up in the sun so I fitted 3M Crystalline 40 window tint all around (not front windscreen or pano). It is not the darkest but it has the highest rating for UV, solar energy, heat reduction etc etc. It does not affect radio/phone/internet etc and I think adds to the look of the car. There are lots of other cheaper tints around but this one is the highest rated.

No, you are spot on. The second charger is in their accessories price list and is added in Sydney after the car arrives and before delivery. I got it primarily to allow faster charges when on the road (I do quite a few country trips). For home chargibg IMO its not necessary.

Thanks for clarifying. I drive mostly in the city but we do the occasional weekend away and I realise the portable charger doesn't give you much juice so I will keep an eye on this and potentially add a second charger if it's an issue.

Good choosing Homer. The black interior can heat up in the sun so I fitted 3M Crystalline 40 window tint all around (not front windscreen or pano). It is not the darkest but it has the highest rating for UV, solar energy, heat reduction etc etc. It does not affect radio/phone/internet etc and I think adds to the look of the car. There are lots of other cheaper tints around but this one is the highest rated.
Agree with that, did the same. Definately adds to the look. Mind you the remote aircon does a fantastic job at keeping the car nice and cool when its 40degrees outside. No longer need to look for a tree to park under.

Thanks for the tip. Marge obsesses about the sun so I'm sure she'll appreciate this.

Hi PJF00D - some people talk about the purple look of this film especially noticeable on the rear window...have you noticed this effect?

- - - Updated - - -

Homer

Just to make sure you're aware the secondary charger is only of use if you're plugging in to a 3 Phase outlet....so when you're on a trip you'll need to ensure you can find a 3 phase outlet otherwise you'll be able to charge at a much slower rate. I think most doing country trips are locating destinations whereby they can access 3 phase, however it's just that extra step in planning you have to be aware of.

-ECIT

Hi PJF00D - some people talk about the purple look of this film especially noticeable on the rear window...have you noticed this effect?

-ECIT

I haven't noticed that effect. The film is guaranteed not to turn purple for the life of the film. In fact I have noticed that in the right sunlight the Obsidian Black colour of the car itself actually looks a very deep purple, despite Obsidian as a rock being known to have a greenish or brownish tinge.
I am aware of the thread talking about the supposed purple tinge (see http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/25790-3m-Crystalline-Window-Tint ) however I don't see it on mine.

Whilst I am very happy with the result I urge others to always DYOR.

Purple film only occurs on very old type film, or very low quality film. A decent film on the model s definately has no hint of purple.
Had a decent film on my last car too, and after 7 years it also had no hint of purple.
Tesla also have several shades of obsidian black. I ran a spectrometer over both of mine, and both very different colours. One has a touch more green/grey and metallic in it, whilst the other is very black. Not noticable at a quick glance, but obvious if they are together in the sun if you look long enough.