Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered a Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed, the other thing is the last time I checked Tesla does let you buy the car at lease end if you want. No one has a crystal ball but if the M3P winds up being worth more than the 50% residual they calculated then you can't buy it out and then keep/resell it. If the OP is indeed only going to put 18k miles instead of 36k miles over 3 years then it may very well be worth more than the calculated residual.

Also, where is the $1,875 federal tax credit in this deal? Does Tesla not list it and they just keep it or is it passed on to the buyer somewhere in the deal?

Good point, and one that I forgot. Since the leasing company is the owner, they get all tax credits. Another negative, at least for this year. If you finance, you are the owner even though there’s a lien, and are entitled to claim tax credits. Also, you can’t write off the sales taxes if you itemize since again, the leasing company bought the car and “paid” the taxes (technically you simply reimburse them, even though you pay them at closing). I also know that in Texas, and several other states, you have to pay sales tax on the entire sales price of the car even though you’re only paying for half of it (or 40%, or whatever the inverse of your residual is).

As for not being able to buy back the car, we’ll see. In my opinion, Tesla is simply keeping their options open since they have no clue what the residuals on these cars will be. It’s much easier to say “we changed our mind, you can buy it if you want”, than to go the other way around! I very much doubt we’ll have a self driving robotaxi fleet in 3 years, much less one that is legally regulated/allowed. If residuals end up strong, they can keep their option to disallow buyback and flip them for a profit at lease end. If residuals are in the toilet, id make a bet that buy backs will be allowed.

Reactions: cwerdna
I'm new to leasing so I don’t know what other companies offer, but compared to buying the car (with a 5 year loan) the lease is the better deal IF you're only going to keep it for 3 years anyway. If you wanted to sell the financed car after just 3 years you'd have get ~60% of it's original MSRP to break even on the purchase. Based on my past experience and the way Tesla keeps dropping prices I just don’t see that happening. I'm losing a big chunk on my BMW because I'm getting rid of it after just 3 years, seems silly to keep doing that if I know I'm going to want something new in 3 years anyway.

Just placed a reservation for a performance with multi-coat red and black interior. Decided against FSD as I'm leasing and I just don’t see them making it to full self driving state in the next 3 years. And if they do I can always lay out the $6k and upgrade after the fact. (although I probably wont as I wouldn’t want to spend that much on a leased car)

Anyway, says 2 weeks, and my birthday is in 2 weeks so going to try to arrange delivery for my birthday so I can give myself a little present.
I ordered an extended range but now want to change to the performance. Tesla in the UK Do not answer calls at all and I cannot find any way of doing this on the website when logged into my account. Does anyone have any suggestions short of my going to the showroom again?

My account page has a "manage" button, then on that page there is a little button on the right that says "request a change". I assume that's how you'd change the order.

I don't know how it works in the US, but in Switzerland (same as EU/UK?) the "Manage" page has very little to offer. The solution is probably to do as harajuka suggests.

Attachments

• Extrait Page commande Tesla.png
    Extrait Page commande Tesla.png
    140.1 KB · Views: 51
Agreed, the other thing is the last time I checked Tesla does let you buy the car at lease end if you want.
Not on a 3.

Tesla Leasing
Can I purchase my Tesla at the end of my lease?
You can purchase your Model S or Model X at the end of the lease for its residual value, plus remaining amounts owed under the leases, taxes, official fees, etc. associated with the purchase. Model 3 will not be available for purchase at the end of the lease. Review full terms in your lease agreement.
Where did you last check?

I do agree with one of the other posters that there is a chance that Tesla might change their minds in the future given how many times they changed prices and flipped flopped on things (e.g. Supercharging, referral program, going online only for sales oh but wait, we changed our minds, etc.) I just wouldn't count on being able to purchase it at the end considering they've said no now. There's no guarantee they will change their minds or change it in time.

Not on a 3.

Tesla Leasing

Where did you last check?

I do agree with one of the other posters that there is a chance that Tesla might change their minds in the future given how many times they changed prices and flipped flopped on things (e.g. Supercharging, referral program, going online only for sales oh but wait, we changed our minds, etc.) I just wouldn't count on being able to purchase it at the end considering they've said no now. There's no guarantee they will change their minds or change it in time.

My bad, meant to say doesn’t in earlier post. Typing on phone has ruined eyes. o_O