Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered a preowned model X!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

very excited that i just ordered a pre-own model x from Tesla. it is a 2016 model x with around 38K km, upgraded infotainment system and with 6 seats.
Pick up should be in a few days and i can't wait to drive it!

When tesla first launched model x i knew i wanted it! however it was way over my budget so i had to hold off. Now i can finally afford one i am very excited.

is there anything i should look for when i am taking delivery? one thing i really wanted to do (and found that it is possible) is to change the falcon door switch from 2016 to 2017 + style because i know my son(s) will break it in no time.

Thank you all for your time!

Hey @woodychau, congratulations! And, welcome to the forum (I'm a newbie myself).

Information is king when ordering from Tesla. Your best bet it to look at the ordering a used Tesla page on the Tesla website. Makes sure you know everything on that page to the smallest detail. When you go to take delivery, go through your car with a fine tooth-comb to make sure the car meets or exceeds Tesla's own guidelines. If you are inclined to do so, take with you a ruler to measure brake pads, a tire thread measuring tool, a flashlight to check for paint damage, and any other tool you think might help you.

Make a pre-delivery list (PM me if you want and I'll send you mine) and follow it slowly and carefully during delivery. Don't give them the keys to your car (if you're trading one in) until you are satisfied you're taking the Tesla home. And most importantly, DO NOT take delivery unless you are 100% satisfied with the vehicle. It's a lot easier to get defects corrected before you take delivery (even if it means having to wait a few extra days) than trying to convince someone to do it afterward. The second you drive off the lot, the delivery team has completed their job and you no longer have anyone to assist you at your service center.

Looking forward to seeing picture of your new ride! :)

Jose

P.S. Please share where you found the info on switching the FWD switches. I want to do mine!

Hi all,

very excited that i just ordered a pre-own model x from Tesla. it is a 2016 model x with around 38K km, upgraded infotainment system and with 6 seats.

When tesla first launched model x i knew i wanted it! however it was way over my budget so i had to hold off. Now i can finally afford one i am very excited.

is there anything i should look for when i am taking delivery? one thing i really wanted to do (and found that it is possible) is to change the falcon door switch from 2016 to 2017 + style because i know my son(s) will break it in no time.

Congrats. I had a similar 2016 X with the same options. Good call on the switches.
Have them verify/prove the eMMC board was swapped out for the recall. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2020/INRM-EA20003-11321.pdf

Hi all,

Congrats! I've been very happy with my 2016.5 MS75D. Try the link below for starters:

Congratulations! I recently traded in a 2018 Model 3 Dual Motor Long Range for a 2016 Model X P90D 7 seater direct from Tesla. Like you, the X was over budget at the time in 2018 and we only had two kids anyway (third on the way!). We were very lucky that it came in such great condition and that it had updates such as the FWD interior buttons (from the toggle switch), which was a surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

Make sure everything's included such as two key fobs (with key rings if you care), tow hook bar, front license plate mount, and mobile charger. I missed the front plate mount and realized when I got home that the mobile charger has the 240V plug instead of the 120V so my Advisor put in a due bill for those. Test the basics like lights, HVAC, FWD/trunk hatch motors sound good, etc. The only thing I didn't check was the Presentation Mode where the driver's side door opens upon approach. It doesn't work and is a known issue where the body control module needs to be replaced. I have two outstanding recalls (steering rack bolts and applique for the roof piece between the windshield and FWDs) so anything that I missed I'll have them do it then. My battery appears to be healthy as it falls in line with what people are currently reporting (208mi at 90%) so definitely check your charge. As @Baxterdown has mentioned, there are check lists out there that you can use.

Apart from that I love this thing. I can't believe this thing exists even more so than the 3. It's not as snappy/tight as the 3, doesn't have the minimalistic look, I don't have all the cameras, and I miss the front phone cradle. It's the space that outweighs all of that. Post pics when you get it!!

Reactions: RNHurt
Congratulations! I recently traded in a 2018 Model 3 Dual Motor Long Range for a 2016 Model X P90D 7 seater direct from Tesla. Like you, the X was over budget at the time in 2018 and we only had two kids anyway (third on the way!). We were very lucky that it came in such great condition and that it had updates such as the FWD interior buttons (from the toggle switch), which was a surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

Make sure everything's included such as two key fobs (with key rings if you care), tow hook bar, front license plate mount, and mobile charger. I missed the front plate mount and realized when I got home that the mobile charger has the 240V plug instead of the 120V so my Advisor put in a due bill for those. Test the basics like lights, HVAC, FWD/trunk hatch motors sound good, etc. The only thing I didn't check was the Presentation Mode where the driver's side door opens upon approach. It doesn't work and is a known issue where the body control module needs to be replaced. I have two outstanding recalls (steering rack bolts and applique for the roof piece between the windshield and FWDs) so anything that I missed I'll have them do it then. My battery appears to be healthy as it falls in line with what people are currently reporting (208mi at 90%) so definitely check your charge. As @Baxterdown has mentioned, there are check lists out there that you can use.

Apart from that I love this thing. I can't believe this thing exists even more so than the 3. It's not as snappy/tight as the 3, doesn't have the minimalistic look, I don't have all the cameras, and I miss the front phone cradle. It's the space that outweighs all of that. Post pics when you get it!!
Thank you and congrats on the 3rd baby! I didn't have chance to check everything i will do so asap. My car come with the updated button too!
i have no idea how to check the range but i will find out! still very new to me and is overwhelming at the moment! Will post pictures soon!

Reactions: Aaron14902
Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for the support especially Jose! This is my new ride and i am very happy with it!
A couple bonus, this car is WRAPED with clear wrap! I guess the last owner did it and even the seat back was wrap inside too!

Also it has FWD button updated and MCU 2!

I quickly changed the charge dock cable from iphone to andriod (online had tons of video), added a silver brake and gas pedals, all weather mats and waiting for the box that goes under the screen.

One thing is in Canada the 14-50 adapter is out of stock and i can only charge with 110 for now. USA does have the adaptor in stock and i am not sure when i can get the adapter to charge faster! Anyways here are the pictures!
20210405_170100.jpg
20210405_170146.jpg
20210405_170150.jpg

Last edited:
Just confirm the state of charge and miles for a fiven SOC %. 2016 and 2017 90d and 100d's have battery degradation issues.

Thank you and congrats on the 3rd baby! I didn't have chance to check everything i will do so asap. My car come with the updated button too!
i have no idea how to check the range but i will find out! still very new to me and is overwhelming at the moment! Will post pictures soon!
AFAIK it is true that the 100s have performed well. My example is a 2017 X below and the purple boxes show that I'm in the middle of the pack on TeslaFI (near my 65K mileage).

Ra5fYm2.jpg

Hello, i am only doing 110v and been driving it around hence i cant check yet. I will try asap!
No need to wait, you can determine (roughly) the kWh capacity of your battery any time using this method:

No need to wait, you can determine (roughly) the kWh capacity of your battery any time using this method:

Using the method if i didnt misunderstand i got 78750kw? Is it correct? It was 64% charged at the time i took the photo.
20210405_213901.jpg