Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered a Tesla 16.32kw system with (4) powerwalls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finished uploading all the required info. I'm in Central Florida and have Duke Energy. I have some shade issues with large live oak trees. Because of that I'm thinking that I may need micro-inverters or power optimizers rather than a string inverter. Has anyone had any experience with Tesla using micro-inverters. I am fairly new to this solar business but have read alot over the past couple of months. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I have a Tesla wall connector and a model 3 performance car. Thanks in advance.

Jay

Tesla does not use micro inverters at all, but they will likely use a solaredge inverter with optimizers.

I’m in Volusia county as well and also have duke energy. My 15.12kW system with 4 powerwalls was installed at the end of June.

Good luck with your project:)

Tesla does not use micro inverters at all, but they will likely use a solaredge inverter with optimizers.

I’m in Volusia county as well and also have duke energy. My 15.12kW system with 4 powerwalls was installed at the end of June.

Good luck with your project:)
Is there any downside to using optimizers vs the micro-inverters? I had a local solar company give me a quote for a system similar to Tesla's but with micro-inverters. Also does Tesla use there own installers or do they contract it out? I've read your thread about your experience with a Tesla install and appreciate all the info.

Jay

Is there any downside to using optimizers vs the micro-inverters? I had a local solar company give me a quote for a system similar to Tesla's but with micro-inverters. Also does Tesla use there own installers or do they contract it out? I've read your thread about your experience with a Tesla install and appreciate all the info.

Jay

IMO the differences between microinverters and optimizers if very low. I don't think you can go wrong with either approach. There's an argument that the most fault-prone element of a PV array is the inverter.

If one has a bunch of microinverters, they're basically setting up for a scenario where at least 1 of them to be faulty during the warranty. This means a customer has a high chance to have a tech have to come out and make a repair during warranty if they have a large array. But the good news is the array will be mostly functional even with a faulty component.

If one has a single optimizer, they're basically hoping it doesn't fail. Because if it does, it takes the whole array down until the tech can come out for the repair. But with the reliability of SolarEdge being similar to Enphase (with regard to failure rates), there's a smaller chance of needing a repair since there's only one thing that can fail.

I'm not sure how Tesla's warranty works, but most people who get Solar Edge components will opt to buy-up the warranty. Solar Edge says in their own earnings calls that they believe they've found the culprit driving their failure rates over the last few years. But customers who want a longer inverter warranty that more closely matches their panel warranty need to pay Solar Edge for the extra coverage.

Buying up the Solar Edge warranty to be 25 years on their 7.6 kW inverter is $370.
https://www.solaredge.com/sites/default/files/warranty-extension-pricelist-na.pdf

Enphase IQ7 microinverters should already be 25 years warranty.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve

Jay

The biggest difference is that with micro inverters, there's no single point of failure. Your system will never go down due to something breaking. If you lose a micro inverter, then that panel is off line until it's replaced. No big deal. Also, the installation is a lot simpler with micro-inverters.

Jay
I’m in Volusia too, and have FPL. I haven’t installed yet. I’m getting a Powerwall award installed.

Just received a text from Tesla saying my layout is complete and ready for review in my Tesla account. I can't seem to find the layout anywhere. Where is it supposed to be? Also I saw under the Order Documents section a Solar Purchase Agreement. When I downloaded it, it was titled SOLAR PURCHASE DISCLOSURE and that it is not a substitute for my purchase contract.

I have a few questions regarding the disclosure.
  1. What's the difference between the disclosure and the contract?
  2. It states "Estimated gross annual electricity production in kilowatt-hours (kWh) from your System in Year 1: 0 kWh". Is this normal at this stage not to give an estimate?
  3. In the System Repairs sections it states “System repairs” refers to actions needed to fix your System if it is malfunctioning. System repairs ARE provided by the Installer.
    If System repairs ARE included, the coverage periods for each hardware component of your System (in years) are:
    Solar Panels: at least 12 years
    Inverter: at least 10 years
    Powerwall: 10 years
    Please check the Manufacturer’s warranty for the coverage period of other hardware components.

Powerwall System: 4 years. Is that a typo or is there a difference between Powerwall and Powerwall System?
  4. It states that I have been provided a savings estimate but it appears that it is not included.Is it supposed to be?
  5. It states Provider is not providing you with a performance or production guarantee. Are these supposed to be provided?
  6. On the price sheet it shows a line item for Taxes $1,562.50. I assume that is for Florida sales tax. It looks like they are charging sales tax on the 4 powerwalls but not the other stuff. Is that correct?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Jay

I can’t answer most of your questions, but I can answer a few.

It states Provider is not providing you with a performance or production guarantee. Are these supposed to be provided?

Tesla does not provide production guarantees at all.

On the price sheet it shows a line item for Taxes $1,562.50. I assume that is for Florida sales tax. It looks like they are charging sales tax on the 4 powerwalls but not the other stuff. Is that correct?

In Florida you should not pay sales tax for the powerwalls or their associated labor if they are being installed with a solar system. I had tax for the powerwalls on my price sheet as well, but I called and they were able to remove it for me. They did leave about $70 in taxes and said that it was for things like the conduit, which seemed odd to me, but I figured that on a $50,000 order $70 was a drop in the bucket and I didn’t push it.

Just received a text from Tesla saying my layout is complete and ready for review in my Tesla account. I can't seem to find the layout anywhere. Where is it supposed to be? Also I saw under the Order Documents section a Solar Purchase Agreement. When I downloaded it, it was titled SOLAR PURCHASE DISCLOSURE and that it is not a substitute for my purchase contract.

I have a few questions regarding the disclosure.
  1. What's the difference between the disclosure and the contract?
  2. It states "Estimated gross annual electricity production in kilowatt-hours (kWh) from your System in Year 1: 0 kWh". Is this normal at this stage not to give an estimate?
  3. In the System Repairs sections it states “System repairs” refers to actions needed to fix your System if it is malfunctioning. System repairs ARE provided by the Installer.
    If System repairs ARE included, the coverage periods for each hardware component of your System (in years) are:
    Solar Panels: at least 12 years
    Please check the Manufacturer’s warranty for the coverage period of other hardware components.

Powerwall System: 4 years. Is that a typo or is there a difference between Powerwall and Powerwall System?
  4. It states that I have been provided a savings estimate but it appears that it is not included.Is it supposed to be?
  5. It states Provider is not providing you with a performance or production guarantee. Are these supposed to be provided?
  6. On the price sheet it shows a line item for Taxes $1,562.50. I assume that is for Florida sales tax. It looks like they are charging sales tax on the 4 powerwalls but not the other stuff. Is that correct?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Jay

There should be a document called Customer Layout:
upload_2020-9-1_10-51-13.png

What's the difference between the disclosure and the contract?

None, just the name of the document. It is a contract from a legal perspective.

It states "Estimated gross annual electricity production in kilowatt-hours (kWh) from your System in Year 1: 0 kWh". Is this normal at this stage not to give an estimate?

Mine had my estimate. You probably want them to fix it in the document.
upload_2020-9-1_10-53-9.png

In the System Repairs sections it states “System repairs” refers to actions needed to fix your System if it is malfunctioning. System repairs ARE provided by the Installer.

1. Solar Panels: at least 12 years

I'm not sure. I didn't get Powerwalls installed.

It states that I have been provided a savings estimate but it appears that it is not included.Is it supposed to be?

It might be referring to the estimate which was provided when you paid the $100. Mine said my bill would be $10 a month if I went with a 12.24kWh system or more if I went with an 8kWh system.

It states Provider is not providing you with a performance or production guarantee. Are these supposed to be provided?

In the warranty section it says the solar panels will provide 80% of the rated power for 25 years. That's all you get with Tesla.

On the price sheet it shows a line item for Taxes $1,562.50. I assume that is for Florida sales tax. It looks like they are charging sales tax on the 4 powerwalls but not the other stuff. Is that correct?

Not sure of the Florida laws, but in California we are charged sales tax on the equipment. The installation doesn't have sales tax.

Finished uploading all the required info. I'm in Central Florida and have Duke Energy. I have some shade issues with large live oak trees. Because of that I'm thinking that I may need micro-inverters or power optimizers rather than a string inverter. Has anyone had any experience with Tesla using micro-inverters. I am fairly new to this solar business but have read alot over the past couple of months. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I have a Tesla wall connector and a model 3 performance car. Thanks in advance.

Jay

I hope to get solar at some point and am curious: why 4 PowerWalls? Frequent grid outages in your area? Just curious what drives the requirement for so much battery storage.

FYI - I also got the email to review/confirm payment details before my layout is complete. My advisor said the design team is really behind due to the increase in orders.

it’s kinda weird because my profile status says permitting, but they haven’t even completed the design yet.

I hope to get solar at some point and am curious: why 4 PowerWalls? Frequent grid outages in your area? Just curious what drives the requirement for so much battery storage.
I live in the hurricane state of Florida. I also live in a somewhat rural area with lots of large trees and overhead power lines. It's not unusual to have power outages once in awhile. I'm not sure 4 is the "correct" number of powerwalls but I kinda thought that I might as well while I'm doing the install. I have a large 2 story house (5000 sqft) with a swimming pool and 3 AC/Heat pump units. I don't think I could ever have too much battery.

I can’t speak for the OP, but I also have 4 powerwalls in Florida. Here in Florida it’s not uncommon to have multi day power outages after hurricanes. With 4 powerwalls and a large solar system I can power my house pretty much indefinitely during an extended power outage.

I’m right at 2 weeks Since I ordered and still don’t have a panel layout. I’ve tried contacting my project advisor by voice mail and by email to get an update on when to expect one. No response. Any tips on how to get Tesla to respond.? I’ve been very polite so far. Thanks.

Jay

I’m right at 2 weeks Since I ordered and still don’t have a panel layout. I’ve tried contacting my project advisor by voice mail and by email to get an update on when to expect one. No response. Any tips on how to get Tesla to respond.? I’ve been very polite so far. Thanks.

Jay

I assume you completed the home assessment and sent in all the pictures. I believe that has to be completed before you get a layout.

You can also try to call 877-571-7652 to speak to an energy advisor. They should be able to tell you what’s going on with your layout.

I assume you completed the home assessment and sent in all the pictures. I believe that has to be completed before you get a layout.

You can also try to call 877-571-7652 to speak to an energy advisor. They should be able to tell you what’s going on with your layout.
Yea I sent in all the pictures and stuff the same day As the order and it shows up on my account page. I’ll try the above number tomorrow. Thanks.

Jay