Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered CPO MY from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve gotten a chance to try it out and love the fsd. I’ve also rented several Y’s. I’m a big fan of the the hatch and the additional storage. Also having dealt with getting in and out of sporty cars in my 20’s, I prefer the additional ground clearance with the Y. Bad knees and all that.

I have a 4 year old and a car seat that is probably as big as a royal throne. Before we had her in a rear facing one.The 3 has a very deep trunk. It just isn't as tall as the Y's hatch, but length is pretty much the same. One thing to note, they never compare the 3 and Y storage volume apples to apples. It is because the increase isn't as good as you might think.

An often overlooked aspect is the Y is Y'd open in the back. Get it Y'd (wide) open? So I got a lot more noise from the boom box hatchback aspect of it than the closed off trunk of the 3. While the Y has more headroom, the 3 has an inch more legroom. The Y's efficiency was worse even than my Model S's.

I am a big guy and far from my 20's, it isn't much worse for me to get in the 3 than my Y was. I may spend 5 seconds getting in or out but hours in the boring Y. I have to say it was the one car, in the past 2 decades, that I've had the most buyer's remorse after buying it. Not a day goes buy since selling it and getting the Y that I ever miss it to be honest. Even with knees that have seen better days from motorcycle racing and being a hockey goalie, I still can easily get in my 3.

I hate to say it but I'd buy a Kia EV6 over a Model Y in a heartbeat. Good luck with whatever you buy.

The heated steering wheel is a nice feature (my Chevrolet Volt had one) but my 2020 LRMY does not. What I have learned is that in winter if I precondition my Model Y for ~7 minutes in the A.M. the passenger cabin is then warm and I don't miss not having the heated steering wheel. I bought a pair of battery powered heated gloves that help keep my hands warm on the coldest days and not just while holding the steering wheel.

I have a 4 year old and a car seat that is probably as big as a royal throne. Before we had her in a rear facing one.The 3 has a very deep trunk. It just isn't as tall as the Y's hatch, but length is pretty much the same. One thing to note, they never compare the 3 and Y storage volume apples to apples. It is because the increase isn't as good as you might think.

An often overlooked aspect is the Y is Y'd open in the back. Get it Y'd (wide) open? So I got a lot more noise from the boom box hatchback aspect of it than the closed off trunk of the 3. While the Y has more headroom, the 3 has an inch more legroom. The Y's efficiency was worse even than my Model S's.

I am a big guy and far from my 20's, it isn't much worse for me to get in the 3 than my Y was. I may spend 5 seconds getting in or out but hours in the boring Y. I have to say it was the one car, in the past 2 decades, that I've had the most buyer's remorse after buying it. Not a day goes buy since selling it and getting the Y that I ever miss it to be honest. Even with knees that have seen better days from motorcycle racing and being a hockey goalie, I still can easily get in my 3.

I hate to say it but I'd buy a Kia EV6 over a Model Y in a heartbeat. Good luck with whatever you buy.
The Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq5 for that matter are quite a bit smaller than the Y.

I agree but after driving one, they did a great job on it. The new Ioniq 6 looks intriguing as well. Biggest downside is the Hyundai/Kia dealer network. As much as I like our M3, if anything happens to our 3, it will either be a Hyundai or Kia to replace it.

I agree but after driving one, they did a great job on it. The new Ioniq 6 looks intriguing as well. Biggest downside is the Hyundai/Kia dealer network. As much as I like our M3, if anything happens to our 3, it will either be a Hyundai or Kia to replace it.
I have no fascination with electric vehicles. I would actually prefer to have a hybrid but unfortunately no hybrid exists with Autopilot (enhanced, FSD or otherwise).

I'd say AP it pretty close to a lot of other companies lane keeping assist (LKA). I think a PHEV makes a lot more sense for many people.

Here is an example of the Prius LKA in action. Pretty similar to Tesla AP.

Reactions: MattM24
$45k for a red/white 2020 with AB and FSD is a pretty good deal. Lack of heated steering wheel and the older gloss black plastic console would be near deal-breakers for me, but I guess those are things that can be worked around for the price (pre-heating car in winter, and applying aftermarket covers over gloss black plastic).

I personally think a late 2021/early 2022 might be the sweet spot in terms of used MYs since it has the heated steering wheel, non-gloss black interior, biodefense mode, has data access in center console USB, and haven't lost USS yet. But $45k is probably hard to beat with the features you're getting.

One thing to keep in mind with having FSD is that it's still on an older software branch, so historically FSD cars gets new functions (other than FSD related stuff) much later than non-FSD cars. I've always thought this is ass backwards since people paying extra money should get new features first, but hopefully at some point it really becomes a single stack and everyone gets the same version of software regardless of having purchased/rented FSD or not.

Reactions: Fourthewin
Make sure you get some serious car cleaning wipes! I just picked up a used model S this past weekend with the beige interior which looked fine but was absolutely filthy. Give yourself 30 mins to scrub away at that interior.

My current favorite is the Tub O' Towels, available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00022W4Z...rid=T9X3U1WZC2YL&sprefix=car+cleaning+wi&th=1

You might want to use gloves. The bad news is you'll see the filth wiping off. The good news is that your interior will be as good as new without all that much effort. Good luck!

Reactions: Fourthewin