TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Just ordered my M3P-

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Bamagirl68, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Bamagirl68

Bamagirl68 Member

I must admit that I have been lurking on this forum for a long time. I have been gathering wisdom before my test drive today. Well, I drove the performance model and it pasted a permanent smile on my face. The 0-60 made me giggle. No car has ever made me giggle. Now, that said, I normally drive like your grandmother. The car that I drove had the larger tires and better brakes. For the kind of driving that I do, I just don’t think that I need that. Has anyone had experience driving the performance with the smaller tires? Does the upgrade make a big difference for someone like me who will never take it on a track? I still have time to change the configuration if need be, but I would love to save the $5K if possible.

• Like x 2
  2. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

You should really test drive the AWD and see if the performance is really worth the extra $10k to you.
    The tires aren't larger on the P+, only the wheels. They are a stickier summer tire but you can always upgrade the tires on the P- to the same type.

3. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

It sounds like you can save that 5K with no issue whatsoever.

If you are already happy with the performance I see no reason to downgrade to regular AWD.

Buyers remorse is almost always with the slower option or smaller battery.

• Like x 1
  4. jdmasters

jdmasters Member

Congrats! Mine is traveling from Fremont. I can't wait until it gets here.

5. Daniel in SD

$10k for only 0-60 improvement of 1 second for someone who drives like a grandmother? Lots of filthy rich people on this forum. Haha.

• Funny x 1
  6. Bamagirl68

Bamagirl68 Member

Thank you Daniel. They don’t have an AWD to test drive. Maybe that is a sneaky way of getting me in the performance. However, I just truly loved that car. I think that I would be thinking about that test drive if I got something else.

7. Bamagirl68

Bamagirl68 Member

Thank you MXWing! My thought exactly!

8. Bamagirl68

Bamagirl68 Member

Thanks jdmasters! Congrats to you too!

9. Daniel in SD

If you've got the money to burn go for it!
    I was just pointing out that the ONLY difference between the P- and the AWD is the acceleration. The 0-60 of 4.5s on the AWD is still very quick. How fast is your current car and how often do you floor the accelerator?

10. Bamagirl68

Bamagirl68 Member

Ha ha Daniel! Certainly not filthy rich. However, I have been driving a paid off 11 year old car for years to save money for this one. I test drove a model S when they first came out and loved it(though not near as much as I loved the M3P) and started working toward buying one. I really love everything about Tesla: American company, cutting edge, environmentally friendly. I want them to succeed. I want to be part of the wave forward. Well, ok, maybe I just want that giggle when I drive it. But no one ever said saving the planet had to hurt, right?

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  11. Bamagirl68

Bamagirl68 Member

Good point. My current car is much more practical than fun.

12. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I think you missed a nuance here:
    I have a feeling this buyer will have a "new normal" with this car.

• Like x 1
  13. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Congrats

Us Obama people have to do what we can to put a smile on our face through these dark times.

• Like x 1
  14. Daniel in SD

I see grandmothers (and grandfathers!) driving AMG Mercedes with 500+ hp around here all the time and they don't merge on to the freeway any faster. I'm not convinced :p

15. Bamagirl68

Bamagirl68 Member

I think that you may be right!

16. Petra

Petra Member

A 22% improvement is not insignificant... ;)

• Like x 1
  17. Daniel in SD

It's significant. I'm just questioning how often it will be used. If you've got a car that goes 0-60 4.5s and you're regularly wishing for more power then by all means get the P! It's just my impression that that is a very small subset of drivers and certainly not anyone who drives like a grandma.

• Like x 1
  18. Petra

Petra Member

Not everyone lives in areas with low speed limits and traffic :D

• Like x 1
  19. Daniel in SD

I've heard Virginia is a great place to speed! :p
    Actually I've heard that Virginia is the worst place to speed but I've never been there. :D

• Like x 1
  20. Bamagirl68

Bamagirl68 Member

True! However, the secret is in not getting caught. Petra, you are right. I have a lot of fun roads around me that my M3P will eat like candy. I am still a little bit giddy thinking about driving that car.