TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Just ordered my Model 3! When should I expect my VIN assignment?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by indiarain, Jul 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. indiarain

indiarain Member

Hi!

I'm new to the forums here. I'm located in TX and just ordered my Model 3, Standard Range. Any idea on when I should receive a VIN # and how long from receiving a VIN to when it will be delivered? (Please excuse my excitement!)

• Love x 2
  2. birdsquared

birdsquared Fan-man (too old to be a fanboi)

3. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

Welcome and congrats! I ordered two Model 3's: July 2019 & September 2019. Got a VIN quickly on both but the VIN showed up in the source code before on account page.

2019: 2.5 weeks order>delivery
    2020: 4 weeks order>delivery

4. indiarain

indiarain Member

Thank you so much for your reply! I looked back to last July to get an idea of when orders were delivered, but I know that COVID has changed everything so I don't know what to expect! I ordered my Model 3 July 18th, and nothing yet, so hopefully before the month ends I'll have a VIN!

5. swb2734

swb2734 Member

I just ordered the Tesla 3 Long Range the day before you on July 17th and I also live in Texas (Austin). I'll try to keep you posted on any significant movement for the delivery on my end, if you do the same for me:) Not sure if our different trims will play into different wait times for us, but we'll see!

• Like x 1
  6. Michelle_eriw

Michelle_eriw Member

Source code of what? I'm not following.

7. indiarain

indiarain Member

Congratulations on your order! I sure will. My advisor called me today saying still no VIN assigned to my order, however it could be within the next week based on her previous orders.

8. Michelle_eriw

Michelle_eriw Member

I paid the $100 on 2 June, asking that the order be submitted in Jan 2021. On 17 July, I requested the order be submitted as soon as possible. I got an email date stamped at 12:05 am on 18 July saying that it had been submitted. I gave them financing information the same day. US Bank ran a credit check on 19 July. I gave Tesla my insurance information on 20 July.

My order agreement says, "Order placed with electronically accepted terms 06/22/2020" [sic]

Nothing about my VIN yet.

9. swb2734

swb2734 Member

Oh wow! Coincidentally I emailed both my account advisor and delivery advisor asking if, based on their other customers, if my 4-8 week estimated delivery (from July 17th) is still on point, or if others might be getting their delivery dates earlier or later than their time frame.

10. Noel1987

Noel1987 Member

Good luck hearing back from them. The communication with Tesla has been awful!

11. indiarain

indiarain Member

Just an update, my financial advisor called me today saying it would be another 3-4 weeks until I receive my VIN, and then another week after closing until delivery. "So total about 6 weeks away."

I'm in TX and ordered a SR+, white on white on 7/18 with a 4-8 week delivery timeframe. Did not expect to have to wait 9 weeks, but good things come to those who wait I guess!

12. swb2734

swb2734 Member

I'm in Texas too and ordered a blue, LR the day before you, with a 4-8 week delivery time frame as well. I'm hoping their estimate is on the conservative side and we still get our cars before the full 8 weeks are up. Where in Texas are you? I'm in Austin.

13. indiarain

indiarain Member

I'm in Dallas! And I really hope so too because if she is correct, then that's a total of almost 10 weeks from order to delivery which is ridiculous. I'm thankful for the calls, but at the same time I get excited everytime because I think it's Tesla calling with my VIN...

• Like x 1
  14. ziggityzen

ziggityzen Member

Ordered: 7/5
    Received VIN allocation: 8/2
    Expected delivery: 8/18
    Time frame upon ordering: 8-12 weeks

Spec: Performance trim
    Exterior: Midnight Silver Metallic
    Interior: Black

I'll let you know once I take delivery of the vehicle.

• Like x 2
  15. indiarain

indiarain Member

Ah, congratulations! I'm in Dallas and ordered my SR+, white on white, on 7/18. So hopefully by the end of August! Keep me posted!

• Like x 1
  16. indiarain

indiarain Member

Update: Just received an automated text saying my order will be ready in an estimated 3-6 weeks. Says it could be before then as well. Located in Texas, ordered White/White SR+ with 19s on 7/18. Had a 4-8 week timeframe then.

17. swb2734

swb2734 Member

I got the same text. Also here in Texas: blue/black/LR/18"

• Love x 1
  18. TeeRav19

TeeRav19 New Member

I also recieved this text yesterday, except with a 4-7 week window. Located in Houston, TX. Ordered a white/white/SR+/18" on 8/6.

19. ziggityzen

ziggityzen Member

Just spoke to a rep and they said there could be a delay in delivery. I was told the vehicle travels via rail from California to Arkansas. Takes a few days to process then is picked up via transport and delivered to Texas. I'll continue to update as I receive more information.

• Like x 2
  20. kurtatx

kurtatx Member

No text yet, but I'm pretty patient overall.

7/27, red/white long range