Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered my Tesla HPWC!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure why people think they need a HPWC! With a NEMA 14-50 my Model S will charge in 8 hours -- if I bring it home totally empty. I haven't ever done that, however; on the 200 mile trip this past weekend, we SuperCharged while eating dinner and got home with the car at 40%.
In terms of cost for installation is the NEMA 14-50 cheaper than installing a HPWC?

I'm not sure why people think they need a HPWC! With a NEMA 14-50 my Model S will charge in 8 hours -- if I bring it home totally empty. I haven't ever done that, however; on the 200 mile trip this past weekend, we SuperCharged while eating dinner and got home with the car at 40%.
Not sure the word is need. I don't want to get the included charger in and out. I don't want to travel without it. I want a clean garage area. I want to have the wand open my port. Lots of wants not any needs....

I guess it depends on when Tesla gets me my car. ;)
My earliest delivery date is November. I have to order the charger and get on my installers calendar. I've been given a date range by him ranging from beginning to end of SEPTEMBER, being flexible saves me money. If somehow all the sour people who's posts I read on this forum don't buy their Model 3s for any one of the hundreds of whines I've heard, I just might get my car a little early? Anyway, it didn't seem far fetched for my time table, IMO. Lastly, I paid for it with my Citibank Visa which doubles the manufacturers warranty, so I really have 2 years anyway.

Just ordered the Tesla Wall Charger with the 24' cable. Tesla lowered the cost from $550 to $500, free shipping. Car not due until, maybe December, but I was going to get it anyway thanks to all of the great comments and feedback provided through TMC.

Sorry, COULD not be powered at the same time. You could use a junction box with a double throw/double pole disconnect. This isolates one or the other. You can't power both at the same time off one line. Keep in mind you can only use a max 50 amp in the CB panel as one of the 2 is a 14-50 limited to 50amp.

This is not true. They talk directly to each other and coordinate usage of power. From the manual:

The Wall Connector includes a feature whereby Wall Connector to Wall Connector communication allows you to split the maximum available load over a maximum of 4 Wall Connectors.

Just ordered the Tesla Wall Charger with the 24' cable. Tesla lowered the cost from $550 to $500, free shipping. Car not due until, maybe December, but I was going to get it anyway thanks to all of the great comments and feedback provided through TMC.
That's not a bad price. I recall when I purchased my Leviton a few years back I paid around $600 and it's a 32 A.

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
This is not true. They talk directly to each other and coordinate usage of power. From the manual:

With respect It actually is. The Wall Connector includes a feature whereby Wall Connector to Wall Connector communication allows you to split the maximum available load over a maximum of 4 Wall Connectors.
The post I was replying to indicated he was going to install a 14-50 now and later tap off it for a HPWC. He indicated he would have both the 14-50 and HPWC on the same circuit. In that case he definitely needs a disconnect.

The post I was replying to indicated he was going to install a 14-50 now and later tap off it for a HPWC. He indicated he would have both the 14-50 and HPWC on the same circuit. In that case he definitely needs a disconnect.
"Tapping off" a 14-50 isn't trivial, since you can't just thread another bit of Romex into the box and splice it with wire nuts. These wires are incredibly thick, inflexible, and annoying to work with.

I think, rather, he meant that he would be putting a 14-50 plug onto the HPWC, and plugging it into the aforementioned 14-50 outlet. Essentially, that's what I did (though it wasn't a Tesla-branded EVSE). Benefits (to me) were: flexibility in that the 14-50 could be used on a temporary basis for other things, if needed (e.g. an RV), and that I can take the EVSE with me if I move. I can also grab the EVSE off the wall and use it on the road if necessary (i.e. if the UMC fails), though that's an unlikely corner case. The only down-side is that I'm limited to 40 amp charging, but since I've been fine for years at 24 amps (dryer plug), 40 amps was actually a significant improvement.

I used this for the 14-50 cable into the EVSE: NEMA 50A Input Cable

One other consideration is that 14-50 outlets apparently come in several different service levels. The cheap ones ($10-ish) aren't really designed for a lot of connecting and disconnecting. The ones made for RV connections are a bit more expensive ($60-ish), and have contacts that can take the abuse, where the light duty ones may eventually fail (get hot, melt, etc.) with repeated insertions. If the 14-50 plug goes in with relatively little force, you probably have the former. That's fine, just don't unplug your EVSE every day and expect the outlet to last.

IMG_0008.JPG
Here's my install. One 100 amp line to two HPWCs. Line amperage is shared based on need.

I think, rather, he meant that he would be putting a 14-50 plug onto the HPWC, and plugging it into the aforementioned 14-50 outlet. Essentially, that's what I did (though it wasn't a Tesla-branded EVSE). Benefits (to me) were: flexibility in that the 14-50 could be used on a temporary basis for other things, if needed (e.g. an RV), and that I can take the EVSE with me if I move. I can also grab the EVSE off the wall and use it on the road if necessary (i.e. if the UMC fails), though that's an unlikely corner case. The only down-side is that I'm limited to 40 amp charging, but since I've been fine for years at 24 amps (dryer plug), 40 amps was actually a significant improvement.

That works great as well. Take the HPWC if you move and advertise a 40 amp car charger when you sell. I want to take advantage of the 48 amp onboard charger with the HPWC on a 60 amp breaker with 6/3 teck cable. If I move I'll switch out the breaker and replace the HPWC with a 14-50.

Yes. You don't have to pay the $500+ for the HPWC. You just install the outlet and use the mobile connector that comes with the car.

If the 14-50 fits your needs, terrific. Drive 200 miles a day and then have a six hour window at night when you energy company gives really low electric rates, and try to charge your car during that six hours. 200 miles/25 miles per hour = 8 hours.....NOT 6.

So yes, a 14-50 will work for lots and lots of people, maybe including yourself, but everybody has their own needs.

Remember, it's like a bird eating sh** on the street, everybody to their own tastes!

That's not a bad price. I recall when I purchased my Leviton a few years back I paid around $600 and it's a 32 A.

Was just reading another thread. There is way too much chatter about all of this because it confuses the hell out of us. I bought the Wall Charger believing that it could provide the 48A to my Model 3. But like the other thread said, the 48A on-board charger has NOT been confirmed.

Tesla's Model 3 release information says: Long Range Battery - "Home charging rate: 37 miles of range per hour (240V outlet, 40A)"
Tesla's Model 3 release information says: Standard Battery - "Home charging rate: 30 miles of range per hour (240V outlet, 32A)"

My purchase will stay in the box until the 48A on-board charger is confirmed. Otherwise, the 14-50 will get the job done to for a 40A charger.

SHOOT!!!

Reactions: Runt8
I had a HPWC installed and would do it again. It's takes me an extra 5 seconds to plug/unplug vs. dealing with the included 14-50 charge cord every time, which I would always want to have with me for emergencies. Also, charging at 78A occasionally comes in handy when I'm trying to squeeze in as many extra miles as possible between trips the same day.

I had the electrician install a 14-50 on the same 100A breaker while he was in there. I haven't used it yet other than testing but it seemed like a no-brainer as it was basically free, maybe $10 for the outlet itself.

24' cord is is worth the $50 ....8' cord only allows you one parking position for the vehicle too restrictive IMHO
8' either back in or front in not both

24' front in , back in , back in outside of garage , and possibly front in outside of garage (have not tried or measured this one)

....HPWC is the way to go ...you are buying a Tesla not a generic EV :D

24' cord is is worth the $50 ....8' cord only allows you one parking position for the vehicle too restrictive IMHO
8' either back in or front in not both

24' front in , back in , back in outside of garage , and possibly front in outside of garage (have not tried or measured this one)

....HPWC is the way to go ...you are buying a Tesla not a generic EV :D
Both the 8' and 24' are selling for $500 right now. Great time to buy.

Correct. You don't need a neutral for the HPWC since it's a 240v only device. If you're going with 8AWG for 50A rating, this may save you from having to go to 3/4" conduit depending on your situation.
Depending on which 14/50 outlet is chosen they cost anywhere from $10-$50 and of course your contractor will mark it up.

On the other hand they will charge you for the labor of hard wiring the circuit to your HPWC....

So it's probably a wash.

Done doing an indoor installation in my garage. It would have been cheaper for me to do a hard-wire because: (a) I already had a well-placed subpanel 3 feet away (from a PV install) to serve as the required disconnect, (b) Saved time and parts for the NEMA 14-50, and (c) Did not need to go overboard with a GFCI circuit breaker ($100 MSRP). The idea of having a 50A plug at eye level with my two toddlers was too much for me and went with GFCI protection. I also put the plug into a in-use cover and zipped tied it shut in case they get too curious into their teen years. I also had to carve/cut the in-use cover (d) to fit the rather large plug which was a challenge. It would have been nice not to do (b), (c), and (d) if I went hard-wire. All work inspector approved.

Last edited: