Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered my Tesla HPWC!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct. You don't need a neutral for the HPWC since it's a 240v only device. If you're going with 8AWG for 50A rating, this may save you from having to go to 3/4" conduit depending on your situation.

Agree. One idea is to use 1" conduit. I knew the HPWC at max current needed a 100A circuit, so I installed 1" conduit even though I am using a lesser charging station on #4 wire. My wall is flat so I didn't need to bend conduit for my installation and used elbows to make turns. I don't recommend elbows because wire pulls scratches up the wires pretty good. I should have went with LB and such, or used prefabricated 90 deg bends with couplings. Charging from my existing EVCS or mobile connector should be plenty. Besides Model 3 charging is at 32/40A depending on battery.

I am undecided if the convenience of a HPWC is worth it. I am planning to resort to the J1772 adapter.

Last edited:
I concluded HPWC was worth it for one reason .....the Mobile connector almost never has to leave your trunk , except when on the road and only when charging at 3rd party chargers.... which means you will never forget it at home.....
not to mention an extra mobile connector costs more than HPWC $520 vs $500

Reactions: johnster007
You probably should have went with the longer version. There's going to be those one or two times per year when - for whatever reason - you'll need to charge your car out in the driveway.
I've been fighting mentally if I should have done this. It seems like a very very low percentage use case, like <.01%. Do I really want all that cord for such an outlier use case?

I don't know.... IF I change my mind, how good is Tesla's customer service on swapping unopened boxed stuff?

I've been fighting mentally if I should have done this. It seems like a very very low percentage use case, like <.01%. Do I really want all that cord for such an outlier use case?

I don't know.... IF I change my mind, how good is Tesla's customer service on swapping unopened boxed stuff?

I brought an unopened HPWC with the long cord and exchanged for small cord no questions asked. Additionally, I drive long distances often and have forgotten the mobile charger once when I used it to charge at second home. After that I added second mobile charger for the lake since it was much cheaper at that time. Now that the HPWC is cheaper I think it's a no brainer to leave UMC in trunk. YMMV.

I brought an unopened HPWC with the long cord and exchanged for small cord no questions asked. Additionally, I drive long distances often and have forgotten the mobile charger once when I used it to charge at second home. After that I added second mobile charger for the lake since it was much cheaper at that time. Now that the HPWC is cheaper I think it's a no brainer to leave UMC in trunk. YMMV.
I was considering doing the opposite swap as you....what was your reason and in hind sight, was it the right decision?

I was considering doing the opposite swap as you....what was your reason and in hind sight, was it the right decision?

I am OCD about tidiness, and as hard as you try to wrap them, the long cables eventually turn into a rat's nest. Additionally, even if I pull in really far, the standard cables still reach. 8.5 feet is a pretty long distance in a garage. I never need to charge outside and I wouldn't want to drop the door on that thick cable. I definitely think I made the right call and would do it again. I, too, wanted to make it flexible and bought one of the longer hpwcs but in the end it didn't make sense to me. The only reason I'd consider it is if I had to mount the charger far away from the where I charge. Super happy with the short guys. :)
IMG_0008.jpg

Thank you very much for the reply and the photo! I was considering the longer one too. I was thinking I'd zip tie all but the last loop so that it never came off except for that fringe use case. I'm leaning towards just keeping the 8.5. Believe it or not, my mounting location would put the charger even closer to the port than yours, because it will be on the wall, literally 3 feet from the port.

Reactions: johnster007
I decided to install one of the Chargepoint Home units last weekend, however, it is the 16 amp model. I would have loved to put a 32 amp model or an HPWC in, but the house is only served by a 100 amp circuit with the service lines underground (requiring the front yard to be dug up, along with potentially killing off two adjacent trees). The other factor that steered me to the Chargepoint model was the ability to monitor electric usage at the charging station level.

I expect about 10 miles of range per hour with the 16 amp model, which will suit my driving needs quite nicely. On weekdays we only drive 30 miles per day; over a weekend maybe 60-75. If needed, we can always use the station across the street from work during the day or the Supercharger on the way out of town.

IMG_7772 2.jpg

Reactions: AlanSqB
insane, do I understadn the pic correctly in that you HPWC is hardwired, but you also have a 14-50 plug installed as well? Was it much extra do install both?

(Was thinking of doing same, also in SoCal.)
From what I’ve read, for this to be up to code you have to either put it on a circuit that can support both at once, or have a switch that toggles between the two. @insaneoctane did you get this inspected, and if so, did they say anything about it?

@Big Dog, @AlanSqB is correct, that is a different circuit. I already had the 6-30 there, but I never use it. I meant to replace the breaker and outlet with the NEMA 14-50 at the same time thinking it might be more useful but we ran out of time. Now that I see how that circuit was run, it's easy enough that I may just do that myself at some point in the future.

See my install (in my sig) for a way to switch back and forth, if you want to do it up to code where only one is on at the same time.... We installed two HPWCs with the load sharing connection, and a 14-50 for if when something takes out the HPWCs (you never know... :D ).