Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered my Tesla HPWC!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In anticipation of my contractor's pending visit, I went ahead and ordered my HPWC. It signifies my first official order of a Tesla product (not counting my deposit on the M3). Felt pretty good like it is starting to get real. I went with the 8.5 ft since it will sit on the wall exactly opposite of the model 3s charging port. Go Tesla!
I am trying to decide on whether to spend the money on an HPWC or simply install a NEMA 14-50. I realize their is a difference in charge rate but If I am charging overnight, I can still get a full charge from 0% to 100% in about 7 hours with a NEMA 14-50.

What made you decide on the HPWC? I'm still on the fence.

If I could do it over I would mount my HPWC in the attic above my garage and drop the charging cable down through the ceiling hanging right next to the charge port.

I remember those days - prepping for the S before I got it - I was like a kid the night before Christmas... I still feel that way everytime I go out and the door handle pops out to greet me... It's kinda like a dog who always wags it tail when it sees you....

BTW you cant beat the convenience of the HPWC and then you can just keep the mobile charger always in the car ready for trips beyond the SuperCharger Zone.

I am trying to decide on whether to spend the money on an HPWC or simply install a NEMA 14-50.
I went with the NEMA 14-50 because it will be compatible with most new EVs, as they are becoming more mainstream. On the other hand, if I move out and take my HPWC with me, I'd need an electrician to come to the house and connect something else to the bare exposed 240V wires. Then I bought a spare UMC to hang on the wall (which I can move with me), while I keep the main UMC in the car at all times.

Reactions: tony b and AlanSqB
I went with the NEMA 14-50 because it will be compatible with most new EVs, as they are becoming more mainstream. On the other hand, if I move out and take my HPWC with me, I'd need an electrician to come to the house and connect something else to the bare exposed 240V wires. Then I bought a spare UMC to hang on the wall (which I can move with me), while I keep the main UMC in the car at all times.
That is exactly where I am coming from!

You probably should have went with the longer version.

Do most regulars recommend the longer cord? (newb, here)

On the other hand, if I move out and take my HPWC with me, I'd need an electrician to come to the house and connect something else to the bare exposed 240V wires.

Cut the wires and cap 'em off? Throw the circuit breaker to off? Or is that a code no-no?

I’m going with the wall charger on a 60A circuit because I love the look and I want to be able to keep the mobile charger in the car at all times. I plan on keeping this car for more than 10 years, and switching to a 14-50 if necessary in the future is trivial.

Reactions: PRSIST
I’m going with the wall charger on a 60A circuit because I love the look and I want to be able to keep the mobile charger in the car at all times. I plan on keeping this car for more than 10 years, and switching to a 14-50 if necessary in the future is trivial.

That was my 'excuse' for Ms. Dog, but then she reminded me that we have two reservations, and asked if we need a spare charger in each car? (Still working on the proper response.) :)

That was my 'excuse' for Ms. Dog, but then she reminded me that we have two reservations, and asked if we need a spare charger in each car? (Still working on the proper response.) :)
There’s another excuse if you have multiple Tesla’s - additional wall chargers talk to each other and can share the same circuit. So cheaper electrical installation costs vs installing multiple 14-50s on separate circuits. Or, if you were planning on using a single 14-50, this method doesn’t require you to manually manage which car is charging.

I bought the 8' version last year with my MX. Now wishing I had bought the longer version with the 3 coming. Totally agree that if you think you might charge 2 cars at once the HPWC is the way to go since they can talk to each other and share the same circuit. That alone could save you hundreds if not more $$$.

You probably should have went with the longer version. There's going to be those one or two times per year when - for whatever reason - you'll need to charge your car out in the driveway.

I installed 2 HPWCs in my garage (one long and one short) thinking it would come in handy. It doesn't. And the long one looked messy with all that cord. I ended up swapping out long one for a short and it's sooo much better. The short one actually reaches pretty far and if you hang it right cord doesn't even hit ground with no wrapping. FWIW!

Last edited:
I would say just install a 14-50 in its place. Also might need to change the breaker in the panel depending on what amperage was initially installed.
Yes if you move and want to take your HPWC with you, I would install a NEMA-14 50 in it's place so you can sell the house with a "charger" installed.
Cut an capped wires look bad to prospective buyers, and you would have to put in a box anyways for code in which putting in your NEMA receptacle at that point would be a trivial 30 min. task. This is assuming that you had a 50 amp circuit breaker installed in your panel in the first place.

You can always go 80 amp wire and circuit breaker to your HW PC, if your panel can handle the load and you don't mind spending the extra money on The Wire costs.
If your panel

In anticipation of my contractor's pending visit, I went ahead and ordered my HPWC. It signifies my first official order of a Tesla product (not counting my deposit on the M3). Felt pretty good like it is starting to get real. I went with the 8.5 ft since it will sit on the wall exactly opposite of the model 3s charging port. Go Tesla!
How much did installation cost? I'm considering getting one.

I dropped a 200 AMP Panel in the garage for the future Model F250 Pickup Truck - It's easy to turn down the amps, but impossible to turn them up once you drywall over lower gauge wire... plus if you end up with multiple Teslas its easier to support.

That is the next Model after the Y right? SEXY F

Then the Utility Vehicle (real one like a FJ or Jeep - see Bollinger Motors for good concept)
Then the Convertible (AKA Roadster 2) - 2019-Tesla-Roadster-rendering.jpg
Then the Karavan - 41213353-media_httpfarm8static_Dbwqb.jpg
Then the E Wagon - tesla-model-3-sportwagon-crosswagon-render-255.jpg
Then the RV right? Tesla unveils designs for a plug-in hybrid motorhome, the Model H

Last edited:
Reactions: anonim1979