Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just Ordered MYLR. Have questions! (1st post)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If parking outside, do get a heat shield thingy for the windshield. It makes a big difference if the car isn’t in the shade. Consider getting a charger with J1772 vs wall charger. Not that anyone would ever buy an EV other than a Tesla after owning one, but Tesla can charge off J1772 for other cars. The lightening, Mach E, Taycan, Etron, etc cannot charge off a Tesla WC. Ever have guests? Ever plan to? Love the Tesla and understand protecting super charger exclusivity with proprietary plug. Not gonna do it at my home though.
Yes, my thoughts exactly. I would rather use a general outlet (14-50) vs proprietary if possible unless there is a clear benefit. Who knows what my wife will do in the future as well.

First. I would solidify your charging solution if you have not already that will greatly improve your ownership experience. You would probably want at least a 60 amp capable conduit brought from your source or your panel to a location near to where the car will be parked and you can connect your evse or wall connector or whatever to that or your mobile connector if you were to install a 14-50 plug.

Depending on if this is going to be your only electric vehicle you may want to do a dedicated panel and go up to 100 amps to have enough power to charge two cars future proof it while you're doing it.

And as others have said you might want to just live with it for a week or two or maybe longer to see what it is that it needs almost like food probably should taste it before you add salt and pepper.
If I use a mobile connector at home, would I need another one for the road (i.e., supercharger)? Do you recommend a designated connector for each?

Certainly getting floor mats is the first thing needed, the Tesla ones will not last very long.

Note: Best prices are on Chinese Web sites like aliexpress.com but if shipping take too long
you can use as temporary and economical solution a set of four 18" x 30" home door mats.
They will fit without any need to get cut and would do the job but of course specially designed floor mat will look nicer.

Ordered the Tesla All Weather mats. Hopefully they will last!

Btw, is the you in the pic or V (BTS)? Looks familiar.

Just pulled the trigger on a MYLR w/ 20" wheels, all black. Very excited!

I have a few questions:
1. What are the essential accessories to buy while I wait for delivery?
2. Is the Tesla wall connector recommended? If not, what are my options? My car will be parked outside the garage :(.
3. PPF vs Ceramic?

Thanks!!
compositor
Order a NEMA 14-50 adapter from Tesla for your Mobile charger and get a NEMA 14-50 receptacle wired in your Garage near the door. You won't need a Wall Charger. It is a waste of money if you don't mind using your Mobile Charger overnight. I bought a second one for $200 off ebay just because I'm lazy digging it out of the trunk every time. I then bought a wall mount bracket to mount it near the 14-50 plug.

Get a full set of rubber floor mats. Tesmanian or 3D are better fit than the cheap ones. Expensive but worth it.

Mud flaps, the 3D kind, better than the Tesla ones.

I did both PPF front half plus Ceramic because I plan on keeping the cars for a long time.

Tray inserts for the center Console.

The M Y screen suffers from glare depending on sun angle. The anti glare screen protector works well but wait to see if you need it.

In the sunbelt, getting window tint with heat shield is necessary. Up north may not be necessary.

Reactions: bobbyjae
If I use a mobile connector at home, would I need another one for the road (i.e., supercharger)? Do you recommend a designated connector for each?
We charge the Y overnight with the Tesla Mobile EVSE from the garage just feed the cord out under the closed garage door. You probably won't need to keep it in the car unless you travel 250 miles in a day. And if you do, you can always get a boost with a Supercharger. I have never used the Mobile chargers on the road and keep one wall mounted next to my 14-50 outlet near the garage door. I still have my Nissan Leaf EVSE mounted too. One day I will remove the Leaf J1772 to just use the one Tesla Mobile charger. It's a Gen 1 and rated for 40 amps according to Tesla.
IMG_2061.jpg

Reactions: tccartier
We charge the Y overnight with the Tesla Mobile EVSE from the garage just feed the cord out under the closed garage door. You probably won't need to keep it in the car unless you travel 250 miles in a day. And if you do, you can always get a boost with a Supercharger. I have never used the Mobile chargers on the road and keep one wall mounted next to my 14-50 outlet near the garage door. I still have my Nissan Leaf EVSE mounted too. One day I will remove the Leaf J1772 to just use the one Tesla Mobile charger. It's a Gen 1 and rated for 40 amps according to Tesla.
View attachment 684429
Thanks for the info. Any concerns of the garage door crimping the wire? I think I would rather keep the outlet in the garage than outdoors.

Thanks for the info. Any concerns of the garage door crimping the wire? I think I would rather keep the outlet in the garage than outdoors.

These cables are thick and rated for outdoor use, I wouldn't worry about the door crimping the wire.

I do keep a J1772 adapter in the bag with the mobile adapter in the trunk and another in my center console

Last edited:
If it were me and I had to park outside, I would put a wall connector on the outside of the garage and plan on keeping the car connected every night. Preconditioning, cabin heat/A/C, wifi updates and parasitic drain would all be from the grid instead of the battery. It's designed for it and no worries about the cord. Keep the mobile adapter for emergency use on the road.

Thanks for these comments. My situation is that my car will be on the driveway but my commute is minimal (40 miles round trip about 2-3 times a week). Do you still recommend I get a Tesla Wall Connector or 14-50? Who knows what my wife will do in the future (i.e., may get a Tesla too).
Yes, I recommend the Tesla Wall Connector over installing a 14-50 receptacle for several reasons:

1) A hard wired installation of the electric vehicle service equipment (EVSE), (this is the correct terminology for the Tesla Wall Connector, it is not the charger even though most call the Wall Connector and the Mobile Connector the charger) is able to withstand the rain and the elements better than any installation using a receptacle and a power plug. There are weather housings available for the 14-50 receptacle but this is not as good at protecting the connection from water. Over time water getting into the connection can cause corrosion, this increases resistance at the plug connection. This can cause the plug to overheat and could start an electrical fire. If your installation was inside a garage then there would be no weather/water issue with installing a 14-50 or other receptacle indoors. (A garage is considered to be indoors.)

2) The Tesla Wall Connector can be configured during installation for any circuit from 15 amps up to 60 amps, for maximum flexibility. Don't feel you have to install a 60 amp circuit, many Wall Connectors are installed on 50 amp circuits, even 40 amp circuits or lower rated circuits.

3) The Tesla Wall Connector supports automatic load balancing; this enables up to (4) Tesla Wall Connectors to be installed on a circuit. (In the future you could add a second Wall Connector so that two Tesla vehicles can charge at the same time on one circuit. Usually this requires (2) separate circuits to be installed.

4) The Wall Connector, at $500, is actually a very good value when compared to other EVSE that enable charging on up to a 60 amp circuit. Similar EVSE from ClipperCreek cost almost $900.

If you use the Tesla Mobile Connector to charge each day, most days, at home you don't want to repeatedly plug and unplug the power plug adapter from the NEMA 14-50 receptacle. 14-50 receptacles are not designed for a high volume of plug and unplug operations (the 14-50 receptacle is typically used in the home for an electric oven or range. Think about how often those appliances get plugged in or unplugged, hardly ever.)

The Tesla vehicle comes with the Tesla J1772 adapter. This adapter will enable you to charge at any Level 2 public charging station. You could purchase a second Mobile Connector but unless you travel to a cabin, family or campground you would not need to use the Mobile Connector. When using a Tesla Supercharger you just park adjacent to or back up to the Supercharger charging station and plug in. (The Tesla Supercharger charging cable is quite short, designed for high power charging.)

One limitation with both the Tesla Mobile Connector and the Tesla Wall Connector is that the charging cord is ~18.5 feet long. That can be an issue depending on where you locate the receptacle or mount the Wall Connector. You may end up having to back into the driveway to be able to plug in, charge the Tesla Model Y. (The charging port is located on the rear quarter panel on the driver's side of the Model Y, close to the tail light.) The charging cord is only slightly longer than the length of the Model Y.

Any concerns of the garage door crimping the wire?
None for 2.5 years with this installation. My garage door has a rubber seal on the bottom and the cable just runs under and compresses the door seal around it.
The only caution I had from the reviews on the Mobile charger was if it rains, there were reports that water can get into the switch on the Tesla handle and ruin it. I wrapped some 2" wide clear packing tape around the handle just over the switch and that sealed the switch from the rain water and it still allows me to push it twice to open the charging door. It's been charging fine in heavy downpour.

Many on these forums will have you spend a ton of money and that's OK if you have plenty to spend. I like doing what works and is legal but don't like to spend unnecessarily. Sometimes I will buy the best because it makes sense. Like the floor mats. I tried cheap and they did not fit right. So a waste of money on cheap. I went with the more expensive Tesmanian set and they are really perfect fit and don't slide around.

This thread got me ambitious so I spent 15 minutes and finally removed the Nissan EVSE since I haven't used it since March. Now I have just the one Tesla Mobile EVSE. Less clutter! BTW- I also have a NEMA 14-50 adapter for my generator should I ever need to use that to charge up my Tesla during a power outage.
IMG_2175.jpg

In my case I have a dedicated solution for home I went ahead and installed a Tesla wall connector at the house and keep the mobile connector in the car when traveling actually at all times but if you were to use a rule of thumb I generally make sure that my mobile connector is in the car if I'm going to be traveling more than half of the cars rated range away from my home plug solution. Once you passed the point of no return you're at the mercy of whatever solutions you can find out there to get back home, so the more tools you have on board the better. I would also recommend getting and carrying a J1772 adapter with you when on the road.

I look at carrying my mobile connector in the car much like a spare tire I very seldom if ever need it, I have used it, but on the occasions when you do need it...., it is invaluable.

That said I got my car nearly 5 years ago when there were fewer charging solutions in the wild than there are now, but subject to where you live things can still be pretty sparse in pockets.

Just pulled the trigger on a MYLR w/ 20" wheels, all black. Very excited!

I have a few questions:
1. What are the essential accessories to buy while I wait for delivery?
2. Is the Tesla wall connector recommended? If not, what are my options? My car will be parked outside the garage :(.
3. PPF vs Ceramic?

Thanks!!
compositor
Congrats. I recommend getting the Max 3D interior and trunk mats if you are in MD, with winter/snow. If you are parking outside most of the time. I recommend the ceramic pro coating, It will reduce the time to wash and dry your car. Wall charged with 240V is good advice.

Congrats. I recommend getting the Max 3D interior and trunk mats if you are in MD, with winter/snow. If you are parking outside most of the time. I recommend the ceramic pro coating, It will reduce the time to wash and dry your car. Wall charged with 240V is good advice.
Thanks. I got the Tesla all weather mats at checkout. I hope they are as good.

I will look into ceramic as well. PPF seems a bit out of my budget.

I did similar -
- Tesla floor mats
- Tesmanian rear mat and back seat protection and frunk/sub truck mat
- Tesmanian rear spoiler flat black
- Jack Pads
- Antiglare/screen protection
- I think in WA I may get front mudflaps but I ordered a set anyway
- I'm considering a auto-frunk opener/closer, but still reviewing them
- Considering facia PPF
- Wall Charger picked up before the EV Credit expired so I've been staring at it for 7 months now :)
Tip: Check with your power company; you may qualify for rebates

I do like the idea of a mobile connector living in the car just in case. Plugging and unplugging is annoying. That said, we (actually wife’s car) have never charged anywhere but at some so far in 7000 miles.
I actually leave the supplied Mobile EVSE's in the cars too. For several months I used the Nissan Leaf EVSE at home and carried nothing in the Leaf. I used the J1772 to Tesla adapter at home. When I found the Gen 1 Mobile EVSE on Ebay cheap is when I mounted a third Mobile Tesla adapter in the Garage. I never had the supplied ones out of the bag.

I have been researching travel charging and there are very few places I go where there are no Tesla Super chargers that would require a 7KW boost. Southeastern New Mexico and Northern Montana. Superchargers are everywhere today. Whole most people will waste their money on useless accessories, I'm sure there are some people who will need to charge at the higher rates with a wall charger and some who will actually need to use chademo adapter and the Setec CCS-1 adapter. In my opinion, these two adapters and a Tesla Wall charger is a waste of money. Yeah, In my ignorance I bought the Tesla Chademo adapter but only used it once to test it out. $500 wasted! I can't find anywhere I would travel where it would save me. I'm certainly not going to buy a Wall charger or a CCS-1 adapter.

If the Mobile charger is like a spare tire as in Hope you never need it. I agree. That's why I do carry a spare tire on road trips. Seems more people get flats on Teslas than other cars.