Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just over 3 months and my experience with service so far..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off, my experience with Tesla service has actually been pretty good so far, except for the damage to my screen protector (thankfully it was applied, otherwise I’d have a nice chunk out of the screen) and dirty boot marks all over the car mats and carpet (like seriously do you need to move around that much in the driver’s seat??).

I drop off my Y at a Tesla body shop recently for 6 items regarding warranty repairs: 1 chip, 1 dent, various alignment issues. Mind you, I’ve waited over 3 months for this appointment. We walk around the car noting the repairs and they said they don’t have a record for one of them so I had to contact Tesla (not easy, can’t just call them) to ask them to authorize the repair. I get that resolved.

Other owners have posted about extra damages when they got their cars back from service. So, it’s something I’ve expected but not experienced anything worth mentioning until...

I call the shop to confirm they heard from Tesla about that one minor warranty repair. They did. Then, they tell me that during the repairs to the driver door, the driver side mirror (mirror only not casing) ‘falls’ off (I have aftermarket mirrors) and that they will can install the original mirror. I no longer have the original mirrors. I ask them how they intend to resolve this and so far, they said they would install the original mirrors and that it was my fault the mirror fell off!

The right thing to do, is reimburse me for the aftermarket mirrors since it was in their care and they were working on the door when the damage occurred.

No idea how this will get resolved but I’ve already heard back from Tesla and they said to contact the shop. Since it was a Tesla approved shop for warranty repairs, I figured they could contact them to confirm it was their responsibility for the damage. Fun times.

If it as aftermarket and fell off it’s likely it was not installed correctly. I can’t see that being their fault.

Unlikely as it’s held in by a large circular clip. Just spoke with a lawyer. If the car is in their care and they’re working on it, they’re liable for any subsequent damage that’s caused, regardless of how it happened.

I would schedule a meeting with a attorney and get a second opinion. When they accepted the car they created a bailment. As the bailee they have a duty to exercise ordinary care. To determine liability you would need to show that they did something negligent causing the damage. If you sue the burden of proof is on you to substantiate that negligence. The fact that it was a recently added aftermarket part is going to create a hill you have to climb to show negligence. I would see if any video is available. Absent proof they will win. Probably best to not mention lawsuits and legalities and hope as a courtesy they decide to fix it.

Last edited:
I would schedule a meeting with a attorney and get a second opinion.

No thanks, not necessary. That’s the law in my area (it’s likely different in yours), and the reason why they have insurance.

I know you disagree and that’s fine. The shop hasn’t given a resolution so you might have misread that. Cheers

The whole customer service experience has to get better. There are certain expectations when someone drops $65,000 on a car and they compare it similar priced cars they owned.

If Tesla can't get their customer service fixed now, what will happen when everyone owns a $25,000 Tesla? They'll need a giga call center with thousands of customer service reps to handle complaints and resolve issues.

Sorry about your experience. For sure, Tesla is way behind the curve with their customer support.

Have you inspected the mirror that "falls off"? Is the ring broken? Why did it fall off? Did the tech have to disassemble it to repair your door? How expensive was the aftermarket mirror? Could you get the mirror manufacturer to offer you a replacement?

My experience has me in agreement with GeorgeC1. Aftermarket anything muddies the discussion and will cost everyone in time ($$$) haggling it out, and I predict, even if you "win" the argument, the time spent would be FAR greater than the value of the mirror.

Even the mention of "lawyer" in a discussion over an aftermarket mirror (glass) has me shaking my head.