Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just paid off current car, Model III wait begins...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, just made the last payment on my Sonata. I've only got about 43k miles on it, so plan on keeping it another 2-3 years (or however long it is until the Model III comes out). I guess I could get a lease on another EV in the meantime, but I think I'm going to try and enjoy being payment-free for a few years.

Those of you waiting for the Model III, do you plan on getting another car between what you drive now and when it comes out, or just hold out & hold on to what you're currently driving?

Just for grins, you might try running the numbers on a two-year lease on a Nissan Leaf. It might make sense, and it might not, depending on your situation.

I would also consider that we probably won't see the Model III until mid to late 2017,based on standard "Tesla time" and past history.

Well, just made the last payment on my Sonata. I've only got about 43k miles on it, so plan on keeping it another 2-3 years (or however long it is until the Model III comes out). I guess I could get a lease on another EV in the meantime, but I think I'm going to try and enjoy being payment-free for a few years.

Those of you waiting for the Model III, do you plan on getting another car between what you drive now and when it comes out, or just hold out & hold on to what you're currently driving?

I'm leasing a leaf in 2 year increments. current one ends in 2015, next one will in 2017, hopefully I can extend it until I get the gen III or will live with one car for a few months.

No intermediate vehicle.
Have a Prius bought in 2009 that I want to replace for Christmas 2019. We'll keep our cars 10 years, although we got a Volt after only 6 years because it also allowed us to hand down the 6-year-old car.
Hopefully by 2019 they'll have enough capacity to make the base Model III*.

* I think the III, which would be pronounced eeeeee, could just be another Muskian joke.

Last edited:
Just for grins, you might try running the numbers on a two-year lease on a Nissan Leaf. It might make sense, and it might not, depending on your situation.

The only problem is I do have a periodic 100-mile round-trip commute, and my mid-point (work) recharging options are not always reliable, which could make the return drive a dicey proposition. No other current EVs (other than the Model S) have a long enough range that I could confidently make a round-trip commute without having to charge. Could get a Volt (and actually considered one before I bought the Sonata) but I'm not sure if the fuel savings would offset the lack of a car payment. I'm not expecting to buy until late '17, early '18 on the Model III.

I have 2 years left on my 2011 Kia Sportage (great car by the way) and I decided a long time ago that my next car would be the third Gen, now officially Model III. If production does actually start in 2017 that gives me another year's worth of payments from the Sportage to put towards the Model III plus any proceeds from selling the Kia to bring down the amount to be financed.

I've been talking about Tesla to friends since 2009 and even my wife is chiming in to conversations about going electric and the cost savings of the Model III. She's totally on board with the decision even thought it's my car. I have a feeling she will want to drive it a lot more than her beloved VW Golf ;)

I have an 07 Prius with 285000 mi on it. I calculate it paid for itself this year with the gas savings over my previous car. :biggrin: My mechanic thinks it should make it to about 450000 mi or so before it would need anything major. My round-trip commute is 120 mi with nonexistent workplace charging (but I'm working on it). There's no EV out there other than the Model S that would work for my commute, but the Model S is way out of my league price-wise. :crying:

I'll keep babying my Prius as long as I can -- if it doesn't last until the 3, I'll either drive a used beater or get a Volt, depending on when it looks like I could get a 3. In the interim, I'm banking my car payments so I'll have a healthy down payment ready...

I am in a similar situation. My last few cars have been two year leases, and they were hard to give up at the end. This time around I knew that I wanted a Tesla, but the Model S is out my my range. So I ended up with a three year lease on a Volt, which should put me in the right time range for the III. If its late, I can go one car and carpool with my wife. We have done it before, and its not easy, but worth the cost savings.

Unless my car is destroyed or my transportation needs change significantly, I plan to hold on to my Honda Civic. It is a low maintenance vehicle, does not use much fuel, and I don't have a payment on it. A used Model S is tempting, but it is still too expensive and would not fit well in my garage.

The only problem is I do have a periodic 100-mile round-trip commute, and my mid-point (work) recharging options are not always reliable, which could make the return drive a dicey proposition. No other current EVs (other than the Model S) have a long enough range that I could confidently make a round-trip commute without having to charge. Could get a Volt (and actually considered one before I bought the Sonata) but I'm not sure if the fuel savings would offset the lack of a car payment. I'm not expecting to buy until late '17, early '18 on the Model III.

And the Roadster :) Just saying 'zzoom ....

Can you hear it? It's calling for you. 'zzoom 'zzoom

I'll be keeping my current car, which is fully paid for, until I can get a Tesla Motors product. I do expect to test drive a Model S and Model X, when both are available at a local showroom. We'll see then if it is too irresistible for me to wait for the Model ☰ coupe I am hoping for...

$60,000 ⇒ Tesla Model ☰ P135+ AWD Coupe, 500 HP/550 LB FT Torque, Top Speed 155 MPH, 0-60 3.0 Seconds, 505 Mile Range.

I'll be keeping my current car, which is fully paid for, until I can get a Tesla Motors product. I do expect to test drive a Model S and Model X, when both are available at a local showroom. We'll see then if it is too irresistible for me to wait for the Model ☰ coupe I am hoping for...

$60,000 ⇒ Tesla Model ☰ P135+ AWD Coupe, 500 HP/550 LB FT Torque, Top Speed 155 MPH, 0-60 3.0 Seconds, 505 Mile Range.

There is no way Tesla will sell that car for $60,000. You're talking Roadster specs for performance and top of the line Model S specs for range in 4 years.

For now I am driving a LEAF and I hope that the battery holds up until the Model 3 gets here.

If the battery does go south I will be shopping for a 2 year lease on another LEAF.