Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just passed road test, applying loan and insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I just passed my road test today and just received my VIN for M3 SR+ yesterday. Applied for DCU loan this evening, and received an insurance quote from Progressive for $90/mo. The estimated delivery date for my M3 is "August 06 - August 12"

When should I attempt to do a rate match with Tesla?

Should I buy my insurance policy now before receiving my drivers license? What should be used as the insurance policy start date, and what should I enter for my "MA License Plate Number"? Or should I wait till the delivery date is finalized?

Thanks!

Hi, I just passed my road test today and just received my VIN for M3 SR+ yesterday. Applied for DCU loan this evening, and received an insurance quote from Progressive for $90/mo. The estimated delivery date for my M3 is "August 06 - August 12"

When should I attempt to do a rate match with Tesla?

Should I buy my insurance policy now before receiving my drivers license? What should be used as the insurance policy start date, and what should I enter for my "MA License Plate Number"? Or should I wait till the delivery date is finalized?

Thanks!

Typically, someone who is just getting a drivers license is already on a family members insurance plan. Did you verify that the insurance quote you have is actually for a brand new driver? My opinion is, you shouldnt buy any policy now, until you actually receive a license, but I would encourage you to check with a family member on that.

Typically, someone who is just getting a drivers license is already on a family members insurance plan. Did you verify that the insurance quote you have is actually for a brand new driver? My opinion is, you shouldnt buy any policy now, until you actually receive a license, but I would encourage you to check with a family member on that.
Yup, its for a brand new driver, my family is not in the country. Also just saw the option "I do not have the MA license plate number and will provide it later" so I guess I can check this option.

My drivers license may take about 2 weeks to arrive, but the M3 delivery date estimates is currently from 1 to 2 weeks from now. Without the auto insurance, I think I am unable to accept the delivery. Is it possible to push back the delivery until my license arrives?

Yup, its for a brand new driver, my family is not in the country. Also just saw the option "I do not have the MA license plate number and will provide it later" so I guess I can check this option.

My drivers license may take about 2 weeks to arrive, but the M3 delivery date estimates is currently from 1 to 2 weeks from now. Without the auto insurance, I think I am unable to accept the delivery. Is it possible to push back the delivery until my license arrives?

If you are not ready to take delivery, you can decline delivery when they go to schedule you. They wont hold that vehicle, but they will put you back in the queue and assign another vehicle to you. Alternatively, you could contact tesla and tell them you do not want to accept delivery before august 15th or something.

With all that being said, I am going to insert a reminder that I am just a "faceless person online, not affiliated with tesla" so I would encourage you to contact tesla and work out specifics with a sales advisor. I am guessing here, as I have never been in the situation of buying a new car as a new driver. I dont have any experience (tesla or otherwise) with buying a brand new vehicle when I didnt have a license. I got my license when I was 16, and that was "quite a while" ago, as I am 54 right now. Back then I had a junker type vehicle that barely ran, like a couple other people have mentioned.

Pre congratulations!

Reactions: decflow