Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just picked up car - stupid newb questions to follow…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up our red MYLR yesterday. There’s so many little, smart things about the car to like, but also a decent learning curve. Like how the heck do I set it up so AC only kicks on over a certain temp?

Anyway, I’ll be diving into the manual over the weekend. I actually bought the wrong mobile charger adapter for my dryer plug (piggy backing until I decide what route to go), so only 110 at the moment but still getting 5mi/hr.

Need to get front windows tinted and wheels powder coated, so any recommendations in the Seattle area much appreciated.

0B79E0D0-2957-477A-A1D6-3CD63C536127.jpeg
Giddy up!

Jimbo

Just set the Climate Control to Auto and 71F/72F. The Model Y will maintain the temperature setting as required. You can turn on the front passenger vent if no one is seated in the passenger seat by tapping the passenger vent graphic on the Climate Control settings screen.

You can aim the dashboard vent airflow by touching the vent graphic and moving your finger. For two air streams you can spread the air flow (this requires you to splay two fingers while touching the screen.)

You can turn on the 2nd row seat vents by tapping the hard to see icon on the lower right of the Climate Control screen.

Unfortunately the passenger side and 2nd row vent settings will not be saved. Every time you drive you have to manually enable the passenger air vent (although the Auto setting will turn the passenger dashboard vent air flow on and off as required but not full time.) The front passenger side dashboard air vent and the 2nd row seat vent will only be activated automatically when someone is seated in the passenger seat or in the second row.

Just picked up our red MYLR yesterday. There’s so many little, smart things about the car to like, but also a decent learning curve. Like how the heck do I set it up so AC only kicks on over a certain temp?

Anyway, I’ll be diving into the manual over the weekend. I actually bought the wrong mobile charger adapter for my dryer plug (piggy backing until I decide what route to go), so only 110 at the moment but still getting 5mi/hr.

Need to get front windows tinted and wheels powder coated, so any recommendations in the Seattle area much appreciated.

View attachment 696545Giddy up!

Jimbo
It looks beautiful... I am waiting for mine to come... may I ask when is your OD?

Are those the wheels that are underneath the aero covers? If so I definitely goofed by paying for the 20"s.

I was super close to springing for the 20s but thankfully had a buddy who has a MY and showed me his powder coated 19s. I get the advantage of the wheel covers, but they are hiding some very nice looking wheels unfortunately. I am more than willing to trade off the 10-15 miles per charge for a way better looking vehicle. Worst case I pop them back on for a long road trip, but doubt I will...

Got the supercharger installed at the cabin. Normally I would hire an electrician for anything beyond a light fixture install, but it is impossible to get any contractors to return a phone call let alone quote and complete a job in the Cascades right now. The good news is this is a pretty straightforward install for anyone who has a novice level of home wiring. I think it took me maybe 2 hours taking my time because, well, electricity :D A few tips that might help others:

1/ You only need 6/2 wire. Lots of threads say you need 6/3, but you don't. 6/2 will have the two hot leads you need plus a ground wire. I bought the 6/3 and ended up using the 3rd wire for ground and just trimming the ground wire. Not only will 6/2 be cheaper, but a lot easier to work with as these are seriously stiff wires.
2/ Make sure you get the right breaker. I bought before looking and got the wrong one. Not tragic, but worth opening up your service panel and taking some pics prior.

I went from 5mi/hr on 110 to about 45 mi/hr. Plus the Tesla chargers look cool as hell :cool:

Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 1.58.08 PM.png

Got the supercharger installed at the cabin. Normally I would hire an electrician for anything beyond a light fixture install, but it is impossible to get any contractors to return a phone call let alone quote and complete a job in the Cascades right now. The good news is this is a pretty straightforward install for anyone who has a novice level of home wiring. I think it took me maybe 2 hours taking my time because, well, electricity :D A few tips that might help others:

1/ You only need 6/2 wire. Lots of threads say you need 6/3, but you don't. 6/2 will have the two hot leads you need plus a ground wire. I bought the 6/3 and ended up using the 3rd wire for ground and just trimming the ground wire. Not only will 6/2 be cheaper, but a lot easier to work with as these are seriously stiff wires.
2/ Make sure you get the right breaker. I bought before looking and got the wrong one. Not tragic, but worth opening up your service panel and taking some pics prior.

I went from 5mi/hr on 110 to about 45 mi/hr. Plus the Tesla chargers look cool as hell :cool:

View attachment 697320
You installed a Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector. The Tesla Supercharger is a whole other level of charging (not done at home) unless you are Larry Ellison and have your own compound in Hawaii.

• Funny
Reactions: lchen6

View attachment 696545Giddy up!

Jimbo
Don't mind me...just admiring your new baby. We ordered a Red MYLR too. :) I keep waffling between keeping the Gemini covers on or taking them off...you're making me lean towards taking them off.

May I ask how long from OD to DD did you have to wait?

I already have an appointment to get them powder coated next week. With the blacked out trim, it’s begging for darker wheels.
In terms of wait, we ordered in April, so about 4 months. I do think the red added to the wait, but it’s worth it. Way more rare than white, black, and gray.

Reactions: DDubbsEV
As a fellow PacNW'er, you'll probably want to replace your wipers... The OEM ones are complete garbage... I love PIAA SuperSilicones, and have them on all my cars... I got the PIAA SiTech ones from CravenSpeed. They worked on my MY right out of the box, didn't need to make any modifications to the adapter.

Reactions: JimmySure
As a fellow PacNW'er, you'll probably want to replace your wipers... The OEM ones are complete garbage... I love PIAA SuperSilicones, and have them on all my cars... I got the PIAA SiTech ones from CravenSpeed. They worked on my MY right out of the box, didn't need to make any modifications to the adapter.
Seriously? What do you base this on? I think the washer FLUID isn't effective, but I've not had any issues with the wipers.