Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just picked up Model X today, has defects

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another update. I took it into the SC today and decided to let service have a look at it before making a decision about returning it. The service guy went through each of my problems I listed and almost all of them were due to my perception of a defect due to lack of knowledge of the product. For example the glove compartment did not open because the car was actually in the “Off” mode when I had tried to open it which was triggered because I had exited my vehicle and gotten back in. As a safety precaution against a theft the car locks the glove compartment which you can unlock by pressing the brake and switching off the lock on the screen... not really all that intuitive but reassuring that it was doing what it was supposed to do.

The vibrating wheel was from lane departure warning but seemed inconsistent to me because you have to drive > 43 mph for a period of time before it will activate and any recent lane changes would suppress it, and of course you need to come close to crossing a lane so unless all those conditions are met it won’t go off which is why it appeared to occur at random.

The 2nd row seats, they will look at but corrected me that the vehicle *is* able to drive even if the seats aren’t locked - however I didn’t get a warning so that may have been a minor malfunction not sure.

The cruise control not adhering to my settings were likely due to the key fob not having a profile attached to it and also my lack of knowledge of how to customize the CC from the steering wheel in relation to the speed and what the on screen settings are...

Having all this explained to me restored my confidence in the car, so I think the experience of not being able to turn off CC that time may have been related to the new feeling of regen braking and possibly thinking I had pressed the brakes..? This I won’t ever know but the service guy reassured me that there is so much redundancy built into shutting off CC/AP that it would be extremely unlikely to happen.

Finally, the auto present door really is broken and needs diagnostics and probably a part. I’m giving them a chance to fix before the 7 days are up.

Wondering if this car sounds like trouble, given a few problems already on Day 1 of delivery.

I was excited to pick up my new 2020 Model X today in Devon. Vehicle looked great, 23 miles. Is a long range, 7 seater.

I gave it a pretty thorough inspection using a checklist I downloaded from somewhere on this forum. Aside from a few minor exterior defects, there was an ugly looking weld on one of the pillars under the right falcon door. Picture attached. I was told by the dealership that all Model X's have this and is within specs. I did want the car and didn't feel it was necessarily a deal breaker so I took delivery.

However as I was walking out to the car I noticed that the self presenting door was not functioning, something I had somehow overlooked before signing all the paperwork. I alerted an associate who told me I had to do something "on the app" to turn this feature on. Figuring this would not be difficult to troubleshoot myself, I did not pursue this further. When I got home, however, I discovered that that the function was already turned on, and that the app had nothing to do with it. I tried resetting the car, driving it out of the garage to an open area, and walked to and from the vehicle probably a dozen times, without success in triggering the self presenting door. It just won't auto-open, which was/is a famous selling feature of the vehicle. The door will open if I click the fob but sadly no auto-open as expected.

Long story short, they told me I could take the car into service on Monday 12/16.

Then, later this evening I tried to access the owner's manual in the glove box, only to find that the glove box would not open after pressing the button many times. I got out of the car, walked back in, and now mysteriously the glove box button is working. However the inconsistency of it along with the other issues above is troubling me.

Has anyone on here had these issues and if so were they isolated incidents? Has anyone ever returned a Model x within the 7 day period? Do you get your registration/title fees back if you do that? I really don't want it to come to that, but I don't have the time to deal with some kind of a lemon. I paid cash and had no trade in, so a return in this case would be relatively clean. If i do return it, I will likely not purchase another Tesla.

Any opinions or insights or experience with these specific issues would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Congratulation on you new ride.

I have had the auto present issue with my (2017 MX) too.. there are a series of things that could contribute to the problem. the first is just the antenna (1043130-00-B) or the door sensor.. both of these are simple and quick fixes.. most times these are in stock at SC..

The next check is the Keys themselves, check to see if you have the same issue with both keys.... if that does not resolve it, they swap out the control modules and give you a new set of keys.. in any case SC will resolve it for you and you should not be worried.