Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just picked up my Model S. How do I find out if update downloaded?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my beautiful Model S yesterday. I know it was due for an update which I saw during my "tutorial" at the dealership. (I forgot to ask how to know how to find out if my car needs an update from now on.)
Also, where do I look to see if the update that I THINK I downloaded, actually "took?" (My car did recognize my network but wouldn't connect when I input the network password. It didn't give me a reason why. It might be that my garage is too far from the router, but it did see my network, so I am not real sure about that either.) I ended up using my iPhone as a hotspot and did it that way, but I don't know how to check to find out if the update actually downloaded. Any advice regarding the WiFi and updates is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Your car checks for updates and downloads them in the background over WiFi or the cell phone network. You will get a notice that an update is available on the center console. That means the update has already been downloaded and is ready to install. You will be given the option of setting a time for the update or installing immediately. The process usually only takes about 20 minutes and you can't use the car while it is updating. Updates come about once every two months, but there is no set schedule and all cars don't receive them at the same time. When the update is complete, the release notes will be displayed on the center screen.

Reactions: CBPfromTN
Your car checks for updates and downloads them in the background over WiFi or the cell phone network. You will get a notice that an update is available on the center console. That means the update has already been downloaded and is ready to install. You will be given the option of setting a time for the update or installing immediately. The process usually only takes about 20 minutes and you can't use the car while it is updating. Updates come about once every two months, but there is no set schedule and all cars don't receive them at the same time. When the update is complete, the release notes will be displayed on the center screen.
Hmmm, ok, thanks. I know that it is due (or was due) for an update but I never could get my network to connect even though it was there. I did connect via my hotspot while sitting in the car but I couldn't find where the update notice I saw earlier in the day was. I can't believe I cannot get it to connect but it's probably because the signal is so weak but still.....it listed my network, it just wouldn't take the password. UGH. BUT, after reading what you posted, I'll bet that's what happened. It was already downloaded and I guess it installed without me knowing it. I just thought there might be a place to check to see if that download had been installed, kinda like you do for Windows Updates. I can check to be sure they're all installed properly etc.
Thanks so much for the information!!! I appreciate it!

If the update is downloaded and ready to install there will be a yellow stop watch symbol in the top row on the center screen. Just push it and follow the instructions.
There is usually no way to force the download or to get an update earlier...
Well, it was there when my owner advisor was showing me everything on the screen display and he remarked that there was an update available but I didn't ask about it. I had no idea where to go to be sure I got it. I just wish there was some place I could go, like on the app or even on the touch screen in the car that would show all updates as they were downloaded and installed. I've never seen a car that does so much!! Thank you for the advice, I now know what to look for! Thank you and everyone else who has been so nice and helpful!

You can find the current firmware version of your Tesla by touching the Tesla "T" logo at the top of the main screen. The current installed version will appear at the bottom left. You can also click "Release Notes" here to find out the various features of the latest release that your car is on.

• Informative
Reactions: CBPfromTN
Mike, thank you!! I definitely needed those links! AND, thank you for the info about my current update! :)
Don’t let the anticipation of future updates drive you crazy! It’s perfectly normal for Tesla to gradually push out new updates over the course of several weeks, usually 2 months in between. For example, the update that you have is still only pushed out to 27% of the TeslaFi population, which means majority of Tesla owners are on an older update.

Good! I wasn't quite sure where the "Release Notes" tab was, so that works! Thanks again!
OK, just looked: I have version: 2018.6.1641efac
That’s the latest software for the S (as far as I know). I received it yesterday. So your car downloaded and installed the latest without you being aware. In general, don’t worry about it. The car takes care of itself pretty well, and tells you when there is a problem.

That’s the latest software for the S (as far as I know). I received it yesterday. So your car downloaded and installed the latest without you being aware. In general, don’t worry about it. The car takes care of itself pretty well, and tells you when there is a problem.
Thanks! I just really wanted to know how to find out if it had actually downloaded. Probably downloaded at the dealership before I left. Sweet!