Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just picked up new X - curious for feedback on some issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my '21 Long Range X, MSM six seater.

Overall I'm very happy with it. There were a couple of panel gap/alignment issues (I included a pic of the worst one), but Tesla assured me they can fix this under warranty.

I did notice what seems like a decent sized scratch/marking on the wood trim on the passenger side (see pic). It's pretty noticeable once you see it the first time. Do you think they can/will fix this under warranty? Can they replace those pieces of trim fairly easily?

IMG_0252.jpeg

IMG_0245.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0246.jpeg
    IMG_0246.jpeg
    923.2 KB · Views: 125
Yes Both pieces are easily replaced.
I had a chrome piece come off after 6 mo in a car wash. Turns out the glue to the plastic part that has clips let go. Easily fixed. Could be you're seeing something similar, where the glue to keep both pieces of trim together, let go.
For the SC visit, or more beneficially a mobile service tech, that's a quick one.

When I had my 2017 MX aluminum screen frame replaced ( scratch I made) ... I got to peer over the mobile tech's shoulder and see how straight forward it is to also replace the wood trim. Its some work, but the tech's know how to do it.
Overall my opinion is Tesla will do the right thing as long as you make the service request via mobile app.

In my experience Tesla will be flexible on these sorts of things for about the first 12 months. Get in the queue and see if a Mobile Service tech can visit your area. That is the most convenient route to get these resolved.
You literally could walk back to the car after the visit, and its all done.

Congrats on the Model X. Almost 4 years later, 78k miles and still loving it.
-TechVP

From my personal experience: Never accept a new Tesla until all the imperfections are addressed to your satisfaction. Bought a new 2014 Model S. Some but few needs repaired at the first service. Traded it on a 2016 X. A disaster at best. Took the car back and Tesla had it for about two weeks. It was a totally different car returned to me. Good that is. I don’t know what was done but it even drove differently. Good times under warranty. I now have 47000 miles and it is obviously out of warranty. You don’t want to own this X out of warranty. Pieces are failing on a regular basis. Big mistake is to live away from a service center. Being out of warranty the tow costs are all mine. Even when service gives me the car, says it’s repaired and it is not. I have over $1000.00 in tow bills in the past two months $800.00 of which are for a redo on a repair that was not repaired. (I had no other way to get the car to service). At the moment the car is being towed to Wilmington Delaware (87 miles) because it refused to start and then locked me out. On the phone with Tesla for over a half hour with nothing but a tow truck to show for it. I think (know) I am done.

Well, got my X back from service and I'm not satisfied. Would love feedback on whether I'm being too picky.

First, the trim/panel gap issue seems no better. Below is a pic of the trim sticking out, along with a lack of panel gap between the trunk and body of the car (same area):

Rear trim.jpeg IMG_0361.jpeg

The second issue some may not consider an issue. They replaced the nicked/scratch wood panel in the front, but the wood pattern is completely different than the other pieces in the front. I know each of these wood pieces is unique, but they are so different it really stands out. First two pics are the existing trim (consistent lines), third is the new trim (totally different pattern).

If this were you would you want it replaced with a more consistent piece?

IMG_0363.jpeg IMG_0364.jpeg IMG_0362.jpeg

Maybe I'm being a stickler but it's a $100,000 car and as a result my standards are high. Feedback welcome.

The question you ask is. “Am I being picky” NO you are not! Are you happy with the $100.000 you spent on a car? Would Audi do this any differently? Yes of course they would.
It’s hard to tell without seeing the wood all together, I’m guessing that when you are sat in the drivers seat you look across your brand new car and sign with a disappointed feeling.
Don’t be overwhelmed by the big screen and sexy interior. (Saying that it’s nothing compared to the new refresh) i bet it stands out like a sore thumb.
Similar situation. In our new $60.000 kitchen one of the cupboard doors was a different grain of wood and a slightly different oak finish. It’s come from a different batch, they can’t match the rest of the doors so they first offered to replace 50% of the doors to try and give it a contrast look and a different style to the whole kitchen. They said let us try and see. Once it was done I was not keen. I just said that’s not what I ordered and they where totally cool. It’s a natural project (not sure Tesla trims are) they where happy to replace every door to get the finish I had paid for. They honestly where totally cool and went out of there way to make it right. Why should Tesla not do the same for you? I think it’s the least they can do. Tell them my kitchen cupboard story! Ask them if it was there car (kitchen) would they be happy. You have to live with this everyday. Every time you sit in your new $100.000 car you will
See it. Regarding the panel gap, come on you know it’s not acceptable. If they can’t fix that, then if it was me I would use the opportunity to reject the car and get the new refresh model. I don’t care what anybody says, the refresh is totally cool. The current model already looked dated but now Tesla have outdated it themselves. The new model says “yep it needed a refresh. Full disclosure. I own a model x, September 2020. I love it, still do but obviously I’ll be swapping it out in 3 years.