Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just picked up our Model Y this past Monday, and noticed that while backing down the driveway, the car is making some crackling noises? any help?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up our Model Y this past Monday, and noticed that when we back down the driveway inside the wheel wells there is some crackling noises happening. I know the humming noise when you are in reverse. We have owned a Model X and are familiar with the noises in reverse, but this is coming from the wheel wells. Any suggestions on what it might be?

Remove the aero covers and look at the backs of them . There are little nubs coming off the side of them, i know in the past the recommendation was to clip them off. I have clipped mine off and the noise hasn't occured, but I will also warn that I don't quite understand what the little nubs are for. The aero covers seem just as secure, but if they come off it isn't my fault.

Upvote 0
Yes 19's Geminis, this sound is completely different then the normal space ship noise when in reverse. It almost sounds like when your brakes are hot and start to cool down in a normal gas car.
But the left and the right covers are identicals, so the noise at low speed should be identical
when going forward or in reverse. except the side of the car must be different?

Reactions: CpYledomUser1
Upvote 0
I am now having a similar issue with my MY ‘21. Hadn’t noticed it until a few weeks ago, backing into the garage on a warm day with the windows down. It’s always under 3mph, I’m not turning so I don’t think it’s the upper control arm issue? I’m wary of trying to remove anything from the car and modifying it.

I’m not particularly mechanically inclined, how hard is it to remove the aero caps?

Upvote 0
I am now having a similar issue with my MY ‘21. Hadn’t noticed it until a few weeks ago, backing into the garage on a warm day with the windows down. It’s always under 3mph, I’m not turning so I don’t think it’s the upper control arm issue? I’m wary of trying to remove anything from the car and modifying it.

I’m not particularly mechanically inclined, how hard is it to remove the aero caps?
Covers are easy to remove. Just start to pull them off by grabbing in-between the spokes. Don't need to pull very hard, they are held on to the wheel with clips that are retained on the covers. No tool are needed.

Upvote 0
Service center fixed this for me by removing the covers and trimming the plastic nubbins. (Somewhere there is a thread where someone posted video of mobile service doing this for them too.)

They also suggested that I was being critical about a sound that I would not have been able to hear if it was and ice vehicle.

Strange experience, but they did fix it.

Upvote 0
Service center fixed this for me by removing the covers and trimming the plastic nubbins. (Somewhere there is a thread where someone posted video of mobile service doing this for them too.)

They also suggested that I was being critical about a sound that I would not have been able to hear if it was and ice vehicle.

Strange experience, but they did fix it.
Victim blaming. You should've told him to "Shut up and trim my nubbins!"

Reactions: X-Chris
Upvote 0