Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just placed an order for a Used p90DL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Initially, we were looking for the 75D around $60k-ish from private parties only so we could benefit from the FUSC.

We started checking Tesla’s used inventory and found out that the 90kw batteries come with FUSC. The cheapest 90D was $64k-ish.

We stumbled across a 16 p90DL for $66k. It seems to good to be true. It only has 24k miles and will come with Tesla 4yr/50k warranty, something that we couldn’t get from a private party transaction. I examined the photos to be sure there was nothing hidden. There were a few scratches but nothing major. 1-owner, no accident.

any advice out there for us when we go to pick up the car. We are really excited and the deal was kinda a “no-brainer”. We are just hoping everything goes according to plan.

I’ve read that the process can take up to weeks, which we don’t mind since we are in no rush.

curious as to why only the X 90kw have free supercharging still.

If you feel rushed to sign paperwork and leave, just be firm and state you want to take your time.

Go over everything with a flashlight, look for dents and scratches. Open and close all the doors.

Check interior headliner for stains.

Check tire wear

Check for a mobile charger chord

Open and close falcon wing doors and listen for abnormal sounds and look for large gaps.

Look at condition of windshield.

I could go on but just take your time and detailed

Initially, we were looking for the 75D around $60k-ish from private parties only so we could benefit from the FUSC.

We started checking Tesla’s used inventory and found out that the 90kw batteries come with FUSC. The cheapest 90D was $64k-ish.

We stumbled across a 16 p90DL for $66k. It seems to good to be true. It only has 24k miles and will come with Tesla 4yr/50k warranty, something that we couldn’t get from a private party transaction. I examined the photos to be sure there was nothing hidden. There were a few scratches but nothing major. 1-owner, no accident.

any advice out there for us when we go to pick up the car. We are really excited and the deal was kinda a “no-brainer”. We are just hoping everything goes according to plan.

I’ve read that the process can take up to weeks, which we don’t mind since we are in no rush.

curious as to why only the X 90kw have free supercharging still.

a couple of things:

- only a few 16s received AP2. So you might be stock with AP1 dead end autopilot.

- I personally wouldn’t buy a 90 battery. They are plagued with degradation issues. You can search this forum for info.

- also 16 MXs had terrible windshield ghosting.

- value of FUSC is grossly overrated unless you drive insane number of miles away from home. Constant Supercharging is also not good for the battery, especially 90.

- who told you only 90s get FUSC? I have a 100 and I have FUSC.

a couple of things:

- only a few 16s received AP2. So you might be stock with AP1 dead end autopilot.

- I personally wouldn’t buy a 90 battery. They are plagued with degradation issues. You can search this forum for info.

- value of FUSC is grossly overrated unless you drive insane number of miles away from home. Constant Supercharging is also not good for the battery, especially 90.

Its on their website. Search the X and look at all the 90kw: It says free supercharging.

Yes it has AP1. I know autopilot defines tesla, but it is something that my wife and I are not too concerned about, as we wont be using it much.

Ghosting windshield, Is that covered under warranty?

Its on their website. Search the X and look at all the 90kw: It says free supercharging.

Yes it has AP1. I know autopilot defines tesla, but it is something that my wife and I are not too concerned about, as we wont be using it much.

Ghosting windshield, Is that covered under warranty?

Tesla keeps flip/flopping FUSC policies. Maybe they are trying to push used 90s out of the door right now. Check in a few weeks. You will surely see something else :)

Here you go: Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?
Good luck getting it replaced under warranty.

You WILL regret not getting AP2. Especially when you start seeing other model X owners getting smart summon, entertainment things, other FSD features. Trust me on this one :)

• Informative
Reactions: BulldogsRus
If you feel rushed to sign paperwork and leave, just be firm and state you want to take your time.

Go over everything with a flashlight, look for dents and scratches. Open and close all the doors.

Check interior headliner for stains.

Check tire wear

Check for a mobile charger chord

Open and close falcon wing doors and listen for abnormal sounds and look for large gaps.

Look at condition of windshield.

I could go on but just take your time and detailed

I would REALLY follow the advice of those above and MAKE SURE the build date is after October of 16. You are giving up quite a bit of futureproofing if you go with an earlier build.

Finally, if you wait until Jan/Feb to buy, you might get into a 17 with everything on it at about the same price. Keep in mind that Tesla dropped the price on the X this year. Kelly Blue Book and Nadaguides have not adjusted yet and when that happens, there are going to be some GREAT deals on newer models. I have demonstrated the used vehicle market valuation problems a few times on this forum. Search for those threads and be very careful. Like I said, if you can wait a few months, you are going to get a much better deal! Worst case scenario, the car you found now drops into the mid to late 40k range or low 50k range and you save some money just by waiting literally 90 days.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
We weren't necessarily looking for a P90DL but during my search, these models were selling fairly quickly, on Craigslist and auto trader. Even 75D with AP1 that were fairly priced, sold in a matter of days. Comparing them, I think this P90DL is the best value. I cant see the prices dropping 10-15k in a matter of 90 days.

Anyways, I placed the $100 deposit to hold the car. If I see anything else within the next week or so, I wouldn't mind losing out on $100.

We weren't necessarily looking for a P90DL but during my search, these models were selling fairly quickly, on Craigslist and auto trader. Even 75D with AP1 that were fairly priced, sold in a matter of days. Comparing them, I think this P90DL is the best value. I cant see the prices dropping 10-15k in a matter of 90 days.

Anyways, I placed the $100 deposit to hold the car. If I see anything else within the next week or so, I wouldn't mind losing out on $100.

It sounds like you really want it, but I would hard pass on 2016 AP1 model X with 90 battery.

Congrats! I also bought an early P90D earlier this month with similar miles for about the same price (the metallic titanium ones seem to be especially cheap / unloved!). My wife really likes the car from a functionality standpoint compared to our S. The drawbacks of an early X have already been stated but the savings is not insignificant, even with the recent price reductions. I figure that most of the problems have been sorted by the prior owners, or are now fixable (e.g., door issues, acceleration shudder, maybe windshield ghosting?). I will note that while the listing for my car said it had a "clean history," in our rush to pick it up from out of state I didn't notice at the time that the front bumper had been repainted (well done aside from a touch of overspray on the edge of the fog lights and some loose aero shields that the SC will fix). Some other blemishes weren't apparent in the photos either, but nothing major. Surprisingly, the wheels were nicely refinished with no curb rash. I do wish that Tesla provided higher resolution photos and specifically highlighted the more significant blemishes in the gallery. It took 9 days from order -> delivery.

Couple thoughts that haven't been mentioned:
-If your car has a trailer hitch, check for the key to remove it / tow kit. Mine did not have it and will have to be ordered.
-If yours has ludicrous enabled, be aware that if that car did not originally come with ludicrous (you can often tell because it will be missing the underline on the hatch badge), it may have an early (V1?) version of the battery that probably won't deliver maximum performance compared to the V2/3 batteries (1500 vs 1600 amps I have read). For reference, mine has a 1056776-00 battery. It's still plenty quick.
-The 90kWh batteries have a bad reputation here and while the 100 certainly offers a lot more range and perhaps less degradation, it all depends on your needs. My X with 26K miles charges to 215 miles at 90% and my S 90D with 77K miles still charges to 240 (which, if I recall correctly, is only about 10 fewer miles than when I picked it up new). FUSC may not provide a huge return but I agree that it is a nice feeling to road trip without thinking about the fuel expense.

Few quibbles that I have found and which you may also find on a similar vintage X:
-The windshield definitely ghosts; will discuss with SC re: replacement, although I am not sure based on reading other threads here if the newer AP1 windshields really fixed this problem.
-Some of the seats rock just a bit, which also sounds fairly common.

On the plus side, you can only get the active spoiler on the earlier models.

Hope this helps and enjoy your new X!

You guys are talking me out of this one.

It’s a white on black 6-seater in Los Angeles

it does not have the underline on the p90d

I guess I have about 7 days to change my mind and lose $100. Not bad

I was exactly in your shoes before couple of months but ended up deciding to wait for AP2 & 100D based on above comments regarding degradation & limited AP1 support.I can feel your frustration feels like something is slipping from your hand

Take a look at the car & make the call

Reactions: rjdoc74

No problems with our ‘16 P90DL.
No battery loss issue.
No windshield ghosting issue.

You guys are talking me out of this one.

It’s a white on black 6-seater in Los Angeles

it does not have the underline on the p90d

I guess I have about 7 days to change my mind and lose $100. Not bad

If it doesn’t have the underline, I doubt it has ludicrous mode. I’ve never heard of a Tesla being upgraded to ludicrous. The opposite has happened downward from P-DL to just P-D, but not the other way up. Back when we were shopping, a few Tesla employees also told me they cannot upgrade to ludi after a purchase.

No problems with our ‘16 P90DL.
No battery loss issue.
No windshield ghosting issue.

If it doesn’t have the underline, I doubt it has ludicrous mode. I’ve never heard of a Tesla being upgraded to ludicrous. The opposite has happened downward from P-DL to just P-D, but not the other way up. Back when we were shopping, a few Tesla employees also told me they cannot upgrade to ludi after a purchase.

How much has your battery dropped?

on the screen, it has the line. The spec sheet also has ludicrous option. I will have them change the emblem.

We probably won’t use it much

does anyone want to buy the ludicrous off of us???

Jk.

How much has your battery dropped?

on the screen, it has the line. The spec sheet also has ludicrous option. I will have them change the emblem.

Interesting. Then maybe someone just took it off to put it under their 75D emblem (j/k).

After 3 years, it’s down close to 3-4%. I’d say that’s pretty good. Now, most of that could have been after one year as is usually the case. But, I didn’t calculate at that time (wasn’t curious and didn’t really look into battery degradation curves and all that). Supposedly there are 3 versions of the 90 battery, but I haven’t checked mine. So, not sure about mine.

I drive one of these every day. Most bits have been replaced and I’m scheduled for third handle revision. Yes there is range and charge speed loss but 200 real world miles with FUSC is ok. AP has been improved. Ludicrous was an option. Would I buy this now? No, but I’m not selling either. What is now known as Smart Summon was tweet-promised for this car. If you wait for an early AP2 that does not mean it will update to autonomous.
Things to watch for: