Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just plasti dipped my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a long Saturday prepping and dipping my 70D. I love the look at the end. Used 7 coats of base plasti dip (3 gallons), 3 coats of DPTC (1.5 gallons) with 75g of Deep Sea Blue pearls by KP pigments. It's my first time doing it, and it was the alternative to wrapping the car, which I had received through inventory. Never was a fan of black, especially half an hour after washing it once the dust settled in.

Here's an album including some in-progress photos:

https://goo.gl/photos/LSKFQy5WSscH9uT3A

Attachments

• IMG_2296.JPG
    IMG_2296.JPG
    702.1 KB · Views: 930
Had a long Saturday prepping and dipping my 70D. I love the look at the end. Used 7 coats of base plasti dip (3 gallons), 3 coats of DPTC (1.5 gallons) with 75g of Deep Sea Blue pearls by KP pigments. It's my first time doing it, and it was the alternative to wrapping the car, which I had received through inventory. Never was a fan of black, especially half an hour after washing it once the dust settled in.

Here's an album including some in-progress photos: https://goo.gl/photos/LSKFQy5WSscH9uT3A

Your car looks great in EV blue ... congratulations! :cool:
Can you tell us more about the application process?

img_2296-jpg.179537

Reactions: ModelX
Your car looks great in EV blue ... congratulations! :cool:
Can you tell us more about the application process?

img_2296-jpg.179537

Well I can't say it was easy, but it wasn't too difficult either, mostly just a lot of work. First watched lots of youtube videos from dipyourcar.com, Fonzie is great at giving lots of details. Then I bought a pro car kit including a sprayer and all the materials. I bought:

- 4 gallons of black plasti dip spray
- 2 gallons of high gloss top coat
- 75 grams of KP Deep Sea Blue pearls

0. Prep your work area. Don't need much, but recommend a tarp or drop sheet on the floor of a garage with some ventilation. I setup a box fan at a back door and kept the door open.
1. Day before, gave it a good wash. Also used compressed air to shoot water from all the crevices as water can impact your outcome.
2. 18 hours later, started masking. Since its peelable material you don't mask exact lines, just leave an inch into whatever you're masking off, the rest will peel off. Masked the grille, windows, roof, windshield and rear window.
3. Mix your materials and put into the spray gun. Apply lightly, but wet and evenly. First few coats can go on a panel at a time, but I started going end to end on the last few coats to practice for pearls. Added about 7 coats of black PDS as a base coat. 15-20 mins dry time between each coat.
4. Mix pearls into the top coat, then apply, being careful to be even, but wet for all applications. Inspected each coat to see where I had missed application so I could catch it on the next coat. 3 coats and I was done.
5. Had an option to do a gloss coat, but I liked the satin so I stopped there. Then unmasked all areas, starting with masked areas that touched unmasked areas. Peeled off any unmasked areas that needed peeling and we were done.

Bought 4 gallons black PDS, used about 3.1 gallons.
Bought 2 gallons DPTC, used about 1.5 gallons.
Bought and used 75g of KP Deep Sea Blue pearls.

Bought most of my stuff on dipcanada.ca, and some off prodip.ca.

Took about 10 hours in total with 2 of us.

Pretty much got the idea and followed though on this video:

Well I can't say it was easy, but it wasn't too difficult either, mostly just a lot of work. First watched lots of youtube videos from dipyourcar.com, Fonzie is great at giving lots of details. Then I bought a pro car kit including a sprayer and all the materials. I bought:

- 4 gallons of black plasti dip spray
- 2 gallons of high gloss top coat
- 75 grams of KP Deep Sea Blue pearls

0. Prep your work area. Don't need much, but recommend a tarp or drop sheet on the floor of a garage with some ventilation. I setup a box fan at a back door and kept the door open.
1. Day before, gave it a good wash. Also used compressed air to shoot water from all the crevices as water can impact your outcome.
2. 18 hours later, started masking. Since its peelable material you don't mask exact lines, just leave an inch into whatever you're masking off, the rest will peel off. Masked the grille, windows, roof, windshield and rear window.
3. Mix your materials and put into the spray gun. Apply lightly, but wet and evenly. First few coats can go on a panel at a time, but I started going end to end on the last few coats to practice for pearls. Added about 7 coats of black PDS as a base coat. 15-20 mins dry time between each coat.
4. Mix pearls into the top coat, then apply, being careful to be even, but wet for all applications. Inspected each coat to see where I had missed application so I could catch it on the next coat. 3 coats and I was done.
5. Had an option to do a gloss coat, but I liked the satin so I stopped there. Then unmasked all areas, starting with masked areas that touched unmasked areas. Peeled off any unmasked areas that needed peeling and we were done.

Bought 4 gallons black PDS, used about 3.1 gallons.
Bought 2 gallons DPTC, used about 1.5 gallons.
Bought and used 75g of KP Deep Sea Blue pearls.

Bought most of my stuff on dipcanada.ca, and some off prodip.ca.

Took about 10 hours in total with 2 of us.

Pretty much got the idea and followed though on this video:

How much did all of this cost?

How many coat did you do on your car?

Let's say you stuck one day and you have no choice but to go to these car wash that still use brushes...Will it scrach off the dip? or remove it?

How much did all of this cost?

How many coat did you do on your car?

Let's say you stuck one day and you have no choice but to go to these car wash that still use brushes...Will it scrach off the dip? or remove it?

Cost me about $1000 for all the equipment, and materials. I figure if I did it again it'd cost me about $500-600.

7 base coats of black, 3 top coats with pearl

(but i still will hand wash it because of a recent experience with a touchless wash scratching the hell out of my clear coat)

Cost me about $1000 for all the equipment, and materials. I figure if I did it again it'd cost me about $500-600.

7 base coats of black, 3 top coats with pearl

(but i still will hand wash it because of a recent experience with a touchless wash scratching the hell out of my clear coat)

Clear coat? Was that on your plastti dip or something else?

I think you almost have me convince to go plastti dip... I was already looking into a Matte black finish for my Model 3 (with some little reflection, but so far the Matte black I've seen dip look a bit greyish to me, so I guess I'll keep looking t'il I find exactly what I'm looking for...)

Couple question why go dip? I like wrap but I noticed when it scratch it is very apparent that it's some paper glue on Ur car...
Why do you have 7 coats of black before putting blue?

Why go dip? Is it simply because you can peal it off after? Is there something else to it? Is it because if your an handy guy you can do it yourself?

I love the idea of changing the color of Ur car when u feel like it, I would have a summer look and a winter look lol, but I'm so lazy n no way I would spend a whole day working on my car... If I can find a pro doing it for 700 or less u would be definitely considering that option...

Clear coat was before my plasti dip, ended up having to refinish, polish, etc to get it out. 100% hand washing now :)

I went with dip vs wrap for a few reasons. First its 1/3 to 1/2 of the price, even buying all the equipment. Then its more like 1/5 the price afterwards. Granted you're doing all the work, but its much easier to DIY dip than wrap. It's also more flexible in colours and finish, unless you want a specific pattern like carbon fibre.

7 coats of black gives it better peelability down the road. You really need at least 4 coats, and I had enough for 7-8 so I went for it.

Yes, I can peel it off and change it, which was part of the allure. I've always bought black/white/grey cars as I didn't want to get sick of the colour after a few years. Since I can change it now, I went more bold. I'm somewhat handy and did a bunch of research before I bought into it.

Dipcanada has some gallons at $55, meaning for me 6 coats = $165+tax/shipping. You might find a pro who'd do it for that, but I'm guessing it still takes them 6 hours of labour. It took me 10 hours total, wash, mask, prep, spray, pearls, unmask, clean. I probably wouldn't do it twice a year, but every 2 years would be great.

Dipcanada ?gotcha...

Yah, I'll definitely consider it in the future. In the mean time I noticed you are in Oakville, if you are having a show and tell one of these days, let me know I'll be happy to stop by and see what it looks like in person...

Great work

Great color, as I'm about to do the exact same color, except likely Autoflex instead of Plastidip.

The dip on your car appears to have a slight orange peel texture to it -- is that a result of the matte finish, or a slightly too much PD applied? I know it's your first time dipping, but in all my research of PD, I haven't seen that before.

Here's an application of Plastidip Deep Sea Blue and a satin finish: Deep Sea Blue Audi A7 | Pro Dipper NYC which is the look I'm going for -- still undecided between PD and Autoflex.

The dip on your car appears to have a slight orange peel texture to it -- is that a result of the matte finish, or a slightly too much PD applied? I know it's your first time dipping, but in all my research of PD, I haven't seen that before.

Probably a bit of both. It's my first time, so whether I didn't put enough on or put too much on, I'm not sure. To be honest, I'm more than happy with the smoothness of the texture, and I don't notice at all. Only experienced dippers may criticize :)

Here's an application of Plastidip Deep Sea Blue and a satin finish: Deep Sea Blue Audi A7 | Pro Dipper NYC which is the look I'm going for -- still undecided between PD and Autoflex.

Yes, the Q7 video is what inspired me. As I understand the Autoflex is a little less DIY friendly, requiring full body suits and ventilation. If you're up for it though, the result looks great.