Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just pulled the trigger on P90D Fully loaded in the wake of 2 lease deals!! Problem is?! M5 owner!

P90D vs Ultimate Driving Sedan M5 Comp Pacakge?!

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, lease an S with the full intention of maybe going back to a BMW at leases end. Go into thinking that way but there is NO way you will go back to an ICE after driving this car. Of course I am biased but I did test drive a 535i in my vehicle search. Once I test drove the S it was all over baby! And I cannot for the life of me remember why I was even looking at other cars. :)

I am a very happy P90DL owner coming up on 20K miles.

The ONLY ugly with the P90DL - if you are getting an early version we are calling V1, you do not get the range specified. You should get around 268 miles on a max charge, but instead it is more likely around 250.

The only bad I would give is the interior isn't nearly as plush as you might expect... but will suffice.

The performance is intoxicating. NOTHING touches it off the line. If you are lined up with any other car at a stop, you will win.
Currently I have not lost to anything. Lamborghini, Ferrari, McClarren and a slew of motorcycles.
Just the other day a M5 owner tried to do a rolling blitz through a red light where I was stopped. I caught him out of the corner of my eye and stomped the pedal, in a split second we were side by side, then I went passed him.
The next light he gave me the thumbs up. Very cool.
So then we tried to race from a start at that light, but he spun the wheels and I was long gone.

Best of all I can do this stuff all day for no real cost :)

Wow
great reply
My car was manufactured Aug 2015?! And has V on the vin not E
Which version is it?! V1?!

I just sold my 2011 E93 M3 Convertible (DCT, 424hp I think), but still keeping my E39 M5 (manual transmission) that was heavily modded including air intake, Tubi and SuperChip, Dinan Stage 3 suspension, etc (total 430hp).

We have an X90D coming, but did test drove a P90DL Model S and X. M3/M5 tare different cars then Tesla Ps. At 80mph, these naturally aspirated engines are just clearing their throats at 3rd gear ready to go to 6th while the electric model has no gear . But because of them not being Turbo, they get clobbered by P90D from 0-60.

There are times that I love the quiet power of Tesla, but there are other times the revs from engine and the deep bass exhaust note of the Tubi Style just priceless.

Reactions: soooma
I just sold my 2011 E93 M3 Convertible (DCT, 424hp I think), but still keeping my E39 M5 (manual transmission) that was heavily modded including air intake, Tubi and SuperChip, Dinan Stage 3 suspension, etc (total 430hp).

We have an X90D coming, but did test drove a P90DL Model S and X. M3/M5 tare different cars then Tesla Ps. At 80mph, these naturally aspirated engines are just clearing their throats at 3rd gear ready to go to 6th while the electric model has no gear . But because of them not being Turbo, they get clobbered by P90D from 0-60.

There are times that I love the quiet power of Tesla, but there are other times the revs from engine and the deep bass exhaust note of the Tubi Style just priceless.

Great feedback!
From a great enthusiast!!
Thank you bro

Currently in an M5 lease Comp Package with 575 horse power and this is my second M5 and 5th BMW in a row !!

I test drive Tesla 2 years ago and I wasn't ready back then!

Thought I could just do it again and test drive a P90D Ludicrous and get away with it unscathed but boy was I wrong or should I say LUDICROUS?! Pun intended ;)

Guys please
I need feedback
I am having cold feet and already out down 2500$ and non refundable as you may well know and car is being transferred to NC in a few weeks!!

Red P90D fully loaded with sticker 145k including rear facing kids seats :)

Coming from M5 "Antique" sedan :) as you may have guessed I have a zillion questions and legit concerns please tell me the good, bad and the ugly :)

You will surely see a lot of me in the upcoming weeks, I am a car enthusiast and a very active M5 forum person!!

By he way many people at M5 forum started atoning me already for being the NUTZ M5 owner who's jumping ships to Tesla!!

In a nutshell I don't know what to expect?!

Thank you

Before my Model S I owned a V10 M5, 470hp tuned 535i, a 6 speed manual 550i and a 535D. I miss them all of never. On occasion I miss the noise of the V10 but not the spun rod bearings or 12 miles per gallon. Other than that, nothing. People think they're going to miss the "soul" of a high reving internal combustion engine but a) the V8 M5 already has no soul compared to the S85 and b) the S has soul. It's not worse; just different. The sound of the motors at full tilt isn't something that's going to elicit gasps from bystanders but it sounds cool nonetheless.

You won't miss it.

Before my Model S I owned a V10 M5, 470hp tuned 535i, a 6 speed manual 550i and a 535D. I miss them all of never. On occasion I miss the noise of the V10 but not the spun rod bearings or 12 miles per gallon. Other than that, nothing. People think they're going to miss the "soul" of a high reving internal combustion engine but a) the V8 M5 already has no soul compared to the S85 and b) the S has soul. It's not worse; just different. The sound of the motors at full tilt isn't something that's going to elicit gasps from bystanders but it sounds cool nonetheless.

You won't miss it.
Inspiring post :)
Thanks
Keeping fingers crossed :)

I should also say, I LOVE the F10 5 series. The one thing I do miss is the interior of a fully decked out 5. The leather is nicer, the fit is better, the color heads up display, my B&O stereo, the coded LED headlights that would beam split. The look of a 2014+ 5 series with LED headlights and the M-Sport package is intoxicating to me. I could very easily go back to a 535D or 535i with a tune without feeling as if it would be a huge step down.

That said, still not much desire. For all the Tesla's quirks - and try to tune out the people here that insist it has none - it is far and away the best overall car I've owned.

I should also say, I LOVE the F10 5 series. The one thing I do miss is the interior of a fully decked out 5. The leather is nicer, the fit is better, the color heads up display, my B&O stereo, the coded LED headlights that would beam split. The look of a 2014+ 5 series with LED headlights and the M-Sport package is intoxicating to me. I could very easily go back to a 535D or 535i with a tune without feeling as if it would be a huge step down.

That said, still not much desire. For all the Tesla's quirks - and try to tune out the people here that insist it has none - it is far and away the best overall car I've owned.

Great post
Thanks Mike

From a Base 85 owner, your buddies will soon follow your foot steps. The Tesla drive is unparalleled.
The forum is full of experiences, you may want to narrow down what you are looking for.
in short, to answer "what to expect" - is to never drive a gas vehicle again because nothing will compare.

Went again today to test drive the Tesla P90D with kids and I like the car, and interestingly the Tesla guy without mentioning names was drooling all over my M5 and took pictures for his buddy :), and he was in awe am when I he him listen to B&O in my car and the exhauste ;) but no regrets on my part at all except for how Tesla can't get the seating position to be low enough for people like me coming from sports cars!! The seating position isn't the most terrible I've seen and not exactly uncomfortable !! It's just ergonomically not perfect if you know what I mean !!

It's a 2 year journey
I will keep you posted and hope I get out of it into the P100D with better seats and ventilated seats in future

Reactions: Model S M.D.
except for how Tesla can't get the seating position to be low enough for people like me coming from sports cars!!
I'm good with the rest of this, but seating position? A higher seating position doesn't change the physics of the car turning, does it? I've owned performance sport cars, so I know how you feel in one. Just wondering why a lower seating position is preferable to you?

I haven't read every word in this thread, but my other car is an E39 M5 that I love to death. I've also owned many other BMWs (325i, Z4, 335i convertible, etc), so I'm a big BMW fan (also spent lots of time on m5board).

But now the M5 is my winter beater I drive in the snow. Or the car I take to the train station. Or into the city when I don't want to valet my P85+. I still love driving it. But that's almost never. ;)

I'm good with the rest of this, but seating position? A higher seating position doesn't change the physics of the car turning, does it? I've owned performance sport cars, so I know how you feel in one. Just wondering why a lower seating position is preferable to you?

I dunno,
But get in M6 or a Jag and AMG and you'll know what I am alluding to!
Seating position has to appeal to all tastes from really low to really high and you find your sweet spot! But if you feel you wanna be lower in the car that ain't good !!
And actually it could perception as I feel the whole car can be lower than my M5 but in the cabin I am seated to high to my liking!!

To OP,

I have owned M5's for the last 12years, (E39 & F10) and my next car is going to be the P100D. I am also a member of M5post.com and I saw you over there. Is this site the best and most informative Tesla forum out there? Thanks for any guidance.

I dunno,
But get in M6 or a Jag and AMG and you'll know what I am alluding to!
Seating position has to appeal to all tastes from really low to really high and you find your sweet spot! But if you feel you wanna be lower in the car that ain't good !!
And actually it could perception as I feel the whole car can be lower than my M5 but in the cabin I am seated to high to my liking!!
What you are talking about is how much adjustment the seat has? Ok, that is an interesting criteria. The Model S doesn't allow you to get low enough to the floor of the car. Thank you, I don't agree, but I appreciate your explanation.