Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just pulled the trigger - Used 2015 P90D through Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks!

Happy to join this community & the Tesla family. Just pulled the trigger on ordering a 2015 P90D (70k kilometer) through the Tesla used vehicle page. While I await delivery to plan a date, here's the spec for those interested (as far as the site tells me):

• Range Upgrade
  • Deep Blue Metallic Paint
  • Sunroof
  • 19" Rims
  • Grey Next Generation Seats
  • Obeche wood
  • Black ceiling covering
  • Carbonfiber spoiler
  • Red caliper
  • Power and Lighting Package
  • Autopilot with comfortfunctions
  • Autopilot with comfortfunctions (it's on the feature list twice for some reason)
  • Premium upgradepackage
  • Intelligent airsuspension
  • Ultra High Fidelity-sound package
  • Below Zero winter package
  • Rear facing seats
Cost 46k euro - is there anything model/era specific that I should triple-check before/during delivery? I've got the delivery checklist bookmarked for general inspection, but maybe anyone knows for specific quirks I have to challenge during pickup to make sure it's covered by warranty (2 years / 90k max - battery & drivetrain until December 2023).

@rmaz, Since you are new, I suspect you are not familiar with the failing eMMC issue. Read this: Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen) so that you are informed. Do I understand from your first post that you have 20K km remaining on your warranty? I track eMMC failures that are reported on TM and TMC forums. Of the 196 failures known the be reported in the last 4 years of failures, 43% are 2015's. (Please note that, this is a fraction of those that have failed both under and after warranty. There are 3rd party fixers that have fixed 5-6 times more than that number. But I don't know what year is most common.) If you have 20,000 km warranty left, you will fall at that time right in the sweet spot of failures. Lucky for you, that living in Netherlands, there's several very good fixers in your area that can fix it better than new for half what Tesla will charge you when the time comes.

Reactions: rafacq
@Akikiki Thanks a lot for the heads-up, much appreciated!

Reread my own post and understand the confusion. The warranty the car is delivered with is locally called "Extended Limited Warranty" and is covering 2 years ór 89.443 km whichever comes first. Another warranty covers drivetrain & battery until December 2023 (unlimited kilometres).

With my yearly projection in kilometres, the 2 years will end before the km maximum warranty. I'm projecting to drive approx 15-20k km/year and aim to drive it ~5 years until I switch to a newer model.

Before reading your part about failing eMMC, I had in mind was to directly call Service after I pick up the car upcoming Friday to ask if they can plan the MCU1 > MCU2 upgrade (if it's offered in the Netherlands & applicable to my model which is from December 2015). Would that also directly solve the potential failure of the eMMC?

@rmaz, you are welcome. :)
Yes, the MCU2 Upgrade will make the difference. It will behave like a new 2015, in my opinion. I have a 2017 S, with MCU1, and its been upgraded now to MCU2. Its wonderful. Feels like a new car. The SC is likely going to tell you, no - not yet to the MCU2 upgrade. At least that's what's going on in the U.S. There's many here that want it. My cents? Its well worth if for the features it adds besides solving the eMMC problem for MCU1 cars. My point is, get in line at your SC. When they let you, do it.

Reactions: Mangmm62
SC's are restricted to following some sort of Tesla generated list for accepting request for the MCU2 Upgrade. In other words, if they turn you down or cancel and appt you make, just wait a week or two and try again. Don't let it disappoint you. You will get it.

@rmaz, Since you are new, I suspect you are not familiar with the failing eMMC issue. Read this: Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen) so that you are informed. Do I understand from your first post that you have 20K km remaining on your warranty? I track eMMC failures that are reported on TM and TMC forums. Of the 196 failures known the be reported in the last 4 years of failures, 43% are 2015's. (Please note that, this is a fraction of those that have failed both under and after warranty. There are 3rd party fixers that have fixed 5-6 times more than that number. But I don't know what year is most common.) If you have 20,000 km warranty left, you will fall at that time right in the sweet spot of failures. Lucky for you, that living in Netherlands, there's several very good fixers in your area that can fix it better than new for half what Tesla will charge you when the time comes.
ouch...party pooper......

Haha no big deal, good to be aware!

Loved my first weekend with the car, amazing drive and insane acceleration (no pun intended)...

Found one weird thing on my drivers side window. Theres (on the outside) scratchmarks in the exact same shape as the doorhandle, and it lines up close to perfectly with my doorhandle when I open the window in full. Unsure what to do about it so far - potentially bringing it to a carwindow fixer to see if they can polish it away.

For the rest its perfect

Found one weird thing on my drivers side window. Theres (on the outside) scratchmarks in the exact same shape as the doorhandle, and it lines up close to perfectly with my doorhandle when I open the window in full. Unsure what to do about it so far - potentially bringing it to a carwindow fixer to see if they can polish it away.

For the rest its perfect
This is a well know issue at Tesla. I had with both the front windows in the first year of ownership. There is a plastic sheet inside the door that seals the door handle box. It is glued but glue has failed, hence it is lose and scratches the windows when opening and closing them.

As you are under warranty, ask Tesla: they should fix both the handles and replace the windows.

Congrats on the new car !

Also, as this is a 2015 car, if you hear the motor whines, don’t hesitate to mention it to the SeC during warranty: the older generation had such issue. Again, they should replace it under the battery and drivetrains warranties.

I had a P90D for 10 days as a loaner once, while my car’s motor was being replaced. Very impressed by the insane performance. Be careful though.

• Informative
Also, as this is a 2015 car, if you hear the motor whines, don’t hesitate to mention it to the SeC during warranty: the older generation had such issue. Again, they should replace it under the battery and drivetrains warranties.

I had a P90D for 10 days as a loaner once, while my car’s motor was being replaced. Very impressed by the insane performance. Be careful though.

Interesting - what would qualify under the name of 'whining', as it kind of always sounds whiny when accelerating/decelerating?

It's dead silent (except for AC) when standing still, and theres a very light (not noticable when you turn on music) 'electric sound' when just constantly keeping speed - nothing even close to the part of annoying.

I've since had my first onsite service appointment to have some little things fixed. They fixed everything under warranty (including airbag recall & recalibrating all my doorhandles & back trunk to be perfectly aligned). Wanted to upgrade to MCU2 but unavailable in Europe (but coming soon he said) & they didn't want to fix my rear lights which has two bugs in it on each side (they said its 'open design' on purpose, so clearing out bugs wouldnt fall under warranty).

Getting it polished, paint spot repaired & glasscoated soon, plus having an interior cleaner fix the smushy state Tesla delivers their occassio s in.

All in all, super happy with the car & service provided!

Interesting - what would qualify under the name of 'whining', as it kind of always sounds whiny when accelerating/decelerating?

It's dead silent (except for AC) when standing still, and theres a very light (not noticable when you turn on music) 'electric sound' when just constantly keeping speed - nothing even close to the part of annoying.

I guess what you describe is the normal whine of the drive unit. It is particularly more audible in Dual Motor cars, like yours, as it comes from the front one. Driver and front passenger can more easily pick it up.

The noise I was referring to is much more present, and comes from the larger rear drive unit usually, like the 90 still has. (more recent 75 & 100 have same smaller engine front & back).

It is described in this article: Life with Tesla Model S: replacing the drive unit (aka 'the funny noise')
You can hear it in this recording, though it's not so obvious:

Anyway, in case of doubt, ask the SeC: they have recording equipment to diagnose, or sometimes tech with fine tuned ears that can recognize it too.

Researching the whine/mill noise, I stumbled on this other tip again, which is an easy fix, and so you known should you have it:

I am selling my 2015 S, Silver P85D, $48,500. Center screen eMMu has been repaired and replaced by Tesla and under their repair warranty. 58K miles
I will be glad to send the original sticker with original price and accessories. My email is [email protected].
IMG_3259.jpeg

His is Dec 2015 built, I believe the motors issue was fixed late 2014.