Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just pulled trigger on FSD, hope I did right thing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dutchie

Jun 9, 2013
Canada
I just pulled the trigger on FSD. Because Tesla made some mistakes they would honour the flash sale price of $2800 (Canadian). This was very nice of them.

I first wanted to pass but the video with MIT, the upcoming investor's demonstration and the announced price increases made us pull the trigger.
We just hope we did right and not fall for Elon's sales talk. For us it is a lot of money, money we could not have been missed ant a worse time. (Hope it was a couple of months later..) But the promise of "appreciating asset" mad us believe this would be an investment worth while.

On the other hand - if Elon does not come through we will not be the only one in this boat.

Anyway, customer service went out of their way to help me with this special price and we really do appreciate everything they done.

Since receiving my vehicle, I have been thrilled with Autopilot and have kicked myself for not purchasing FSD. Having had the pleasure of experiencing and testing out the lane change functionality and Navigate on Autopilot in another car, I am now realizing that both of these features in their current form would benefit my lifestyle greatly (mostly highway driving in slow traffic). Do I think these features are worth $7,000? I don't know. But I know I wish I had bought the package and, despite being in my return window, the $5,000 price won't be honored.

Per the OP's comment, I am planning to pull the trigger before May 1. Maybe I read Elon's tweet differently, but he said the price will go up substantially starting on May 1; my interpretation being it will increase over time, the first date of any sort of increase will be May 1. Maybe it will go up $100, maybe $1,000, maybe $3,000, but I'm a believer in the system for my lifestyle and definitely think that if it's going up, why not take advantage of its current price.

I'm guessing that the FSD Computer (aka HW3) will help AP/EAP work better at some point in the future, aside from any FSD benefits. It seems clear to me that the neural nets being developed by Tesla will speciate along hardware lines, and HW2.x will get slowly left behind. Effects will be subtle at first--maybe fewer phantom braking events or aborted lane changes, etc., but will probably grow larger over time.

This may matter less to the current AP feature set and more to the now-orphaned EAP. Not sure if there will be any cars with HW3 and EAP. I don't have any particular guess about the time frame for this. (Undoubtedly, people will complain long and hard about it on the Internet. :eek:) This may be a reason to think about getting the FSD/HW3 upgrade even for those who have and like EAP now, but who don't expect FSD for some time, if ever.

I'm guessing that the FSD Computer (aka HW3) will help AP/EAP work better at some point in the future, aside from any FSD benefits. It seems clear to me that the neural nets being developed by Tesla will speciate along hardware lines, and HW2.x will get slowly left behind. Effects will be subtle at first--maybe fewer phantom braking events or aborted lane changes, etc., but will probably grow larger over time.

This may matter less to the current AP feature set and more to the now-orphaned EAP. Not sure if there will be any cars with HW3 and EAP. I don't have any particular guess about the time frame for this. (Undoubtedly, people will complain long and hard about it on the Internet. :eek:) This may be a reason to think about getting the FSD/HW3 upgrade even for those who have and like EAP now, but who don't expect FSD for some time, if ever.

This may be the best reason to buy FSD... just to make EAP work like it should....

I say this fully realizing how ridiculous of a concept that is

Reactions: croman
There is difference between severely underestimated difficulty of challenge (thus epic delays) and outright scam. You seem to be incapable of telling these two things apart.

Dutchie, I hope you won't expect actual full self-driving any time soon. Right now you paid for driving assist.

No, I don’t expect FSD to be ready any time soon. More of a gradual road towards it. I intend to keep the car for at least 15 years. I hope a lot of FSD features ready in 5-10 years time.

I just pulled the trigger on FSD. Because Tesla made some mistakes they would honour the flash sale price of $2800 (Canadian). This was very nice of them.

I first wanted to pass but the video with MIT, the upcoming investor's demonstration and the announced price increases made us pull the trigger.
We just hope we did right and not fall for Elon's sales talk. For us it is a lot of money, money we could not have been missed ant a worse time. (Hope it was a couple of months later..) But the promise of "appreciating asset" mad us believe this would be an investment worth while.

On the other hand - if Elon does not come through we will not be the only one in this boat.

Anyway, customer service went out of their way to help me with this special price and we really do appreciate everything they done.

If you didn't feel like it was the right thing to do, then you wouldn't have purchased it.