Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just purchased a very expensive paperweight...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Btr_ftw

Court Jester
Dec 19, 2015
Mass
Model S involved in a flood.

What is it even good for? (Should I have asked myself that before purchasing?) Besides parts? Id like to sacrifice this MS for the greater good of the electric Gods. Can I help give back to the community in some way?

Suggestions? Comments? Questions? Concerns?

Not bad for a first post eh?

- - - Updated - - -

Some information so far.

Last alive 3 months ago.

47 faults before dying

Some faults were from HV battery

Your regional firefighters would love to have a crack it it with their 'jaws of life', saws, rams and other tools to practice extrication. So before you sell it for scrap, let them have a crack at it. I am sure the scrap dealer will transport it to/from them for nothing or they would pay for the chance too.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Your regional firefighters would love to have a crack it it with their 'jaws of life', saws, rams and other tools to practice extrication. So before you sell it for scrap, let them have a crack at it. I am sure the scrap dealer will transport it to/from them for nothing or they would pay for the chance too.

I can easily get cars they can practice this on, I'm not sure if the model S is the sort of car I'd want them to hack up like that :)

I was thinking moreso the electronics that were not affected by the water (such as the touch screen, cluster etc.) also not sure of the condition of the motors as I do not know how high the flood water was, heck they might be ok but again this an unknown.

You're in MA, you should leverage the right to repair law you guys have and work with a third party shop to force Tesla to provide the tools to fix it!
This.

Get at least the Service Manual. I'll pay.

It'll make alot of difference whether it was salt water or fresh. If fresh, alot of things will have a chance. Motor(s) are sealed, battery has emergency vents though which can let water in. Water-resistant, not waterproof.

This.

I have a friend that works for Tesla and I dont think its even easy for him to get that info (in at least a portable format)

his words were

In order for me to access the car for diagnostics to even see what it needs ,both the laptop and the car connected to it has to communicate to corporate to unlock for access, if there is any issue on the vin like totaled or salvaged it will have to get approval for it to be unlocked

- - - Updated - - -

I assume the battery pack came with it?

yes

but it reported 47 faults back to the mothership before dying, internal faults with the high voltage battery, only part of the pack was working before end of life

This.

It'll make alot of difference whether it was salt water or fresh. If fresh, alot of things will have a chance. Motor(s) are sealed, battery has emergency vents though which can let water in. Water-resistant, not waterproof.

I dont think this happened anywhere near saltwater, I believe its fresh. My only worry are the amount it codes it threw before it went to sleep.