TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Just put a deposit on an inventory vehicle! Good deal for me?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by hingisfan, Jan 22, 2015.

1. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

Hi guys,

I just put a deposit on the bare bones white 60 that is over at Lawrence SC. I'm sure some of you have driven it as a loaner. It has 12,000km and no options whatsoever. I checked it out a couple weeks ago and drove it, and it was great. I'm fine with the textile seats and the standard audio. Price suddenly dropped another $1,600 so I am getting it for $62,603 plus tax.

I decided to pull the trigger now because...
    1. I had an X deposit, but I don't want to spend that much on a vehicle right now. Even X60 will be starting at 88-90k plus tax and options I'm sure.
    2. Our dollar is so weak, I think they might be adjusting pricing soon, possible coinciding when X pricing is released.
    3. If I was ordering a new S, I would HAVE to get tech pkg (too many goodies to pass up), which with tax and rebate brings me in at $88,137, so I am saving $15k, with pano roof (wife loves) $18k. Compared to an S85 with tech its almost $25k less, $28k with roof.
    4. I still get full 4 year warranty from when I get it, and mileage doesn't count (I get 92,000kms), same for 8 year battery/drivetrain warranty. I also get free valet/loaner service as I live over 200km away from a service centre.

So, I'm pretty pumped! I know to most of you guys it's just a base model S, but I almost bought a Leaf last year, and a Soul EV this year, so it's a big deal to me!

I'll be adding Supercharging and a set of mats for sure. Anything else I should add at delivery? Is there a checklist I should bring with me?

Thanks for all the help with my many questions!

Mark

2. TES-E

TES-E Member

Congratulations! Base model or not, it's still a Tesla!!

3. Panu

Panu Member

I don't have my Tesla either yet but I believe all possible charging adapters will be very helpful.

4. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Great deal. Many happy and safe miles with her!

5. hingisfan

Any more common than others that are must haves???

6. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

#6 Jaff, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    Good stuff Hingis!...welcome to the club. :smile:

The only other adapters that I have purchased for our S (up and above the NEMA 5-15 & 14-50 that comes with your UMC kit) are the NEMA's 6-50 (Welder plug...used 2x in Smith's Falls...worked great!) and the NEMA 14-30 (modern dryer plug) and 5-20 (regular 3-prong plug that can handle 20 amps)...have never had the opportunity to use these last two yet, but the are commonly found if you are in a pinch...

7. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

Awesome! That's a really good price too! You will be quite happy I am sure.
    Since it is bare bones, I think I read somewhere on this forum that if you want navigation the Service center can add that alone for just a couple hundered bucks. That might be worth considering. You also might want to get some snow tires and winter wheels. Enjoy!

8. wayner

wayner Active Member

Personally I wouldn't worry about the Nav as Waze is much better.

9. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Yeah, I like Waze too...

10. PoweredByRain

PoweredByRain Member

It is an awesome car. Full stop. Sure, you can get a bigger battery - but the bigger battery means higher energy consumption too. All the other bells and whistles pale in importance to the difference between an S and all other cars! And you got it for a really good price.

In many ways I'm jealous.

11. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

That's why this is a solid deal.
    Personally, I buy mostly off-lease cars that were originally bought loaded to the max so I could enjoy them without paying the initial high depreciation.
    I broke that "rule" when I got my Smart ED as I wanted maximum warranty length on a new technology vehicle.

Used 2012/3 Tesla Model S85 off "lease" will be around $50K in a years time, but will be only 1 year of remaining warranty...

~$60K today for loaner S60 sounds good, and I wish you lots of happy km!

12. hingisfan

I actually mentioned that to Saad at lawrence when i was there and he had no idea what I was talking about.

Also, I thought I saw in another thread that for some reason you have to have either sound pkg or tech to do this???

So, most dryers today don't use the same Nema 14-50? And I would likely need an extension if I was using someone's dryer outlet wouldn't I?

Insurance only $13/month more than with my 2002 Altima....and that's with full replacement coverage!

(There was also a bare bones white 60 in Montreal with pano and it was new, no mileage, has new sensor suite so I would get parking sensors. But with tax and rebate it was going to be $9,464 more than this one, so I decided to stick with the cheaper one.)

Thanks guys, been stressing over this for weeks since I test drove in early January, glad I got the deal I wanted....they discounted Supercharging 10% from $2150 as well! Woohoo!

13. tsarlsy

tsarlsy Member

Congrats! When do you get to take it home?

14. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

15. Morristhecat

Morristhecat Member

Look at this thread here, posts # 21 to 25. It is an OTA update for $200US, so not surprised the Service Centre doesn't know about it. May want to PM @Niclas to see which email he used.:
    How rare are Model S' without the Tech Package - Page 3

16. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

Congrats, @hingisfan!

That's an awesome deal! It's a Tesla no matter what! And you will enjoy it for sure!

17. sundoc

sundoc Member

Congrats!! And as mentioned above, welcome to the club :)

18. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

Nice job! Congrats on getting one awesome car! - you paid exactly half what I paid - enjoy the additional $60K!!!

19. PoweredByRain

PoweredByRain Member

I think that's correct. Dryer plugs are generally 30 A, Nema 14-30. You can get a 14-30 adapter for the UMC for, I think, $50.

Parking sensors have been available for a long time - my car has them, and it was built 16 months ago. I think they required you to pay for the tech package to get them, though. My point is: if you ever decide that you want to add them, I think they can be added to your car.

20. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Congrats, seems like a very good deal. 12,000 km is in a sweet spot. They have to drop the price significantly when a car goes over 10,000 km, because that's the limit for beiing eligible for the rebate in Quebec.