TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Just put a Pioneer Apple CarPlay Receiver in Roadster

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by garry753, Jun 18, 2017.

1. garry753

garry753 RoadsterS753 ModelS P1449

IMG_3403.JPG IMG_3404.JPG

I just had a Pioneer SPH-DA120 installed in my Roadster Sport, replacing an old Kenwood head unit. It really transformed the experience in my car - it feels much more like the Model S center pad, but in a Roadster form factor. People can hear me on calls much better with the mic from the Pioneer and calls sound a lot clearer. The GPS implementation is a lot better through Apple Maps (though I do wish I could use Google Maps instead) than through the Garmin Maps in the old Kenwood (and they are always up to date). Listening to music is a lot easier (although I wish the Pioneer had a better implementation of album art). The Siri stuff helps me stay hands-free too by reading messages and with voice transcription. In all, I'm really happier driving the Roadster with this head unit.

• Like x 1
  2. MileHighMotoring

Can you take pics during the day? I'd love to see it, thanks.

3. garry753

AdobePhotoshopExpress_2017_06_18_18:24:38.jpg
    Better? :)

• Like x 1
  4. josh-io

josh-io Member

I'm really interested in the single DIN version for my 1.5 (Pioneer AVH-3300NEX). But I don't think the screen will clear the windshield wiper stalk when it's deploying/retracting. Anyone have experience with this?

5. garry753

Originally (even before the Kenwood) I had a head unit with this issue. At the time, I cut the stalk and sanded it down to shorten it. It worked just fine, but of course I needed to modify the car to make it happen. That stalk piece is like $30 or so to replace btw.

6. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Supporting Member

I am thinking about an Apple Carplay unit for my classic. My current unit is awful. Does this unit support wireless Apple Carplay, or does it require a lightning cable to work? Alpine is supposed to be releasing a wireless Carplay, but it has been extremely delayed.

7. garry753

Lightning cable for full carplay, but it does support bluetooth for regular pioneer apps.