TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Just put a Pioneer Apple CarPlay Receiver in Roadster

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by garry753, Jun 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. garry753

garry753 RoadsterS753 ModelS P1449

IMG_3403.JPG IMG_3404.JPG

I just had a Pioneer SPH-DA120 installed in my Roadster Sport, replacing an old Kenwood head unit. It really transformed the experience in my car - it feels much more like the Model S center pad, but in a Roadster form factor. People can hear me on calls much better with the mic from the Pioneer and calls sound a lot clearer. The GPS implementation is a lot better through Apple Maps (though I do wish I could use Google Maps instead) than through the Garmin Maps in the old Kenwood (and they are always up to date). Listening to music is a lot easier (although I wish the Pioneer had a better implementation of album art). The Siri stuff helps me stay hands-free too by reading messages and with voice transcription. In all, I'm really happier driving the Roadster with this head unit.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  2. MileHighMotoring

Can you take pics during the day? I'd love to see it, thanks.

3. garry753

AdobePhotoshopExpress_2017_06_18_18:24:38.jpg
    Better? :)

• Like x 1
  4. josh-io

josh-io Member

I'm really interested in the single DIN version for my 1.5 (Pioneer AVH-3300NEX). But I don't think the screen will clear the windshield wiper stalk when it's deploying/retracting. Anyone have experience with this?

5. garry753

Originally (even before the Kenwood) I had a head unit with this issue. At the time, I cut the stalk and sanded it down to shorten it. It worked just fine, but of course I needed to modify the car to make it happen. That stalk piece is like $30 or so to replace btw.

6. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Supporting Member

I am thinking about an Apple Carplay unit for my classic. My current unit is awful. Does this unit support wireless Apple Carplay, or does it require a lightning cable to work? Alpine is supposed to be releasing a wireless Carplay, but it has been extremely delayed.

7. garry753

Lightning cable for full carplay, but it does support bluetooth for regular pioneer apps.

8. BNazari

BNazari New Member

You are absolutely correct! The Pioneer AVH-3300NEX screen does hit the wiper stalk when the screen opens. On the plus side, it keeps the windshield clean. I'm going to see if I can order a replacement stalk and trim off the end of it. Possibly 3d print a replacement cap.

Has anyone else done that, out of curiosity?

9. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

That could be mostly due to the location of the mike - looks like a new mike is stuck to the instrument cluster and not placed where the old mike was on the dash.