Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just read CT delayed to end of 2022. I so 2023!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This truck seems to be almost dependent on the new battery formula, I wonder where that is at these days????
There are a lot of changes in their new battery. It’s not a new formula so much as a pile of changed bundled into a new form factor. It is designed to massively reduce the cost of batteries going into the truck.

They are producing them in small but increasing volumes in Fremont and should be producing 10 giga watt hours/ year soon. In Texas they are ramping up their factory and should be producing 100 gWh/ year by end of 2022. 10 GWH is enough for about 150,000 Model Ys. By the time they start Cybertruck production they should have Texas online which will ultimately be producing enough cells for 800,000 Model Ys and 250,000 Cybertrucks or some similar combination.

There are a lot of changes in their new battery. It’s not a new formula so much as a pile of changed bundled into a new form factor. It is designed to massively reduce the cost of batteries going into the truck.

They are producing them in small but increasing volumes in Fremont and should be producing 10 giga watt hours/ year soon. In Texas they are ramping up their factory and should be producing 100 gWh/ year by end of 2022. 10 GWH is enough for about 150,000 Model Ys. By the time they start Cybertruck production they should have Texas online which will ultimately be producing enough cells for 800,000 Model Ys and 250,000 Cybertrucks or some similar combination.
you can tell tech speak is not my thing 🤣 but yes, I hope you are right.

Kettle... Black..

You already know this: 3/Y were in full production and they never stopped to release a "refresh" & Plaid.

Yes. ALWAYS.
New York (CNN Business) Tesla has not built any of its two most expensive cars -- the Model S and Model X -- so far this year.
Even so, the automaker still managed to produce a record number of cars in its most recent quarter, as it built 180,338 of the Model 3 sedan and Model Y SUV, both of which were less expensive models that made up nearly 90% of the company's overall sales in 2020.

But, then again, I am sure you ALWAYS speak with Elon prior to making your posts.

I know everybody has difficult days, but what's the rub? Parsing of words is in itself arrogant at best, but inaccurately doing so, I daresay is sanctimonious.
Please focus on contributing something meaningful to this forum.

He later "moved to" announcing that
I was talking about what Tesla has actually done. That's what this thread is talking about. I don't give a ^&#$ about the words that Musk spouts. He has said all kinds of B.S. that people should not count on. So no, they didn't move to something different because the Cybertruck still isn't out yet. I am talking about the established pattern of what Tesla has done with the introduction of the Model S and then X and then 3 and then Y. They produce and deliver the fancier things like Signature edition or long range all wheel drive or whatever first. That is what people should plan on.
But, then again, I am sure you ALWAYS speak with Elon prior to making your posts.
Like I said, I don't care what Musk says, so I have no desire to speak with him about this. As you noticed, the nonsense he keeps saying doesn't match what they are actually doing as a company.
I know everybody has difficult days, but what's the rub? Parsing of words is in itself arrogant at best, but inaccurately doing so, I daresay is sanctimonious.
Please focus on contributing something meaningful to this forum.
It's not just parsing. I was telling people what to actually expect, which is more relevant and helpful, rather than going by various changing announcements of the week. Those are misleading and aren't going to give you as useful information. So there is your "meaningful" information.

They produce and deliver the fancier things like Signature edition or long range all wheel drive or whatever first. That is what people should plan on.
This has been quite the mixed bag. Sometimes they do. Often they produce the most common configuration. I believe the Model 3 and Model Y they introduced the LR before the Performance. SR was super late because of low demand and low price both. The Model X relaunch recently saw Model X LR before Plaid as well I believe.

Tesla’s never done a “Signature“ or Launch edition. They have “Plaid” and Performance which are performance vehicles.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
This has been quite the mixed bag. Sometimes they do. Often they produce the most common configuration. I believe the Model 3 and Model Y they introduced the LR before the Performance.
Ah, OK, I do need to accept the correction there. I had forgotten about this bit when I just looked it up. They were having some production trouble getting the all wheel drive figured out on the Model 3 and it got held up (which included the Performance ones), so they had to swap that and release the rear wheel drive version first, which was surprising. Then they got the all wheel drive out later, and then the cheaper SR+ and SR versions later still.

The Model X relaunch recently saw Model X LR before Plaid as well I believe.
And as I had mentioned before about "Plaid", that is a very late new configuration they came up with after a vehicle was already in production and delivery, so it obviously can't come first.

Tesla’s never done a “Signature“ or Launch edition.
Huh. Tell me more about how they "never" did the Signature Model S:

...or the Signature Model X:

Reactions: Ogre
I think it’s reasonable to say Tesla does what makes most sense at the given time which isn’t always obvious to the outside observer or necessarily the most profitable thing.

In a vacuum, they will launch with the priciest model because that’s where margins are highest and the biggest chance of being profitable out the gate. If they launched with the least expensive produce, their launches would always be upside-down. Operate with negative margins at launch and big margins later on.

I don’t think Tesla is going to have trouble breaking even with the Cybertruck with any model save perhaps the single motor (which is years out or scratched). The cost savings with the 4680 cells, ditching the paint shop, and other cost savings measures will make it their most profitable vehicle ever.

I would not be surprised to see them run 2 lines with dual motor production starting a month after launch.

Ogre said:
This has been quite the mixed bag. Sometimes they do. Often they produce the most common configuration. I believe the Model 3 and Model Y they introduced the LR before the Performance.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are absolutely right Ogre!. A mixed bag indeed. That's exactly the point I was trying to make. I often find that folks who throw around superlatives like ALWAYS or NEVER, like to do so to make you think they know what they are talking about. Thanks for the meaningful information.

Often, as a company grows rapidly and original management has less and less control, the emphasis moves rapidly from product to profit. The bean counters find ways to reduce costs and increase profit. Once the bean counters get involved, the creative genius gets a bit of tarnish. And for any bean counter, it makes absolute sense "to move completely to" introducing the pricier models first.

I just sold my Model Y which I had for a year (with 15,000 miles) for $8000 more than I paid for it. Some of that price is related to price raises and vehicle improvements (heat pump, laminate glass, etc), while much of it is related to demand. You cannot get a Model Y LR until November of next year and you cannot get a standard Model X or Model S until December 2022 or January 2023. YOu can however get PLAID a lot quicker. That could be determined by battery demand. Nevertheless, I was able to order a Model Y with estimated delivery in February. Do you think it might have the new 4680 batteries? I think so, last least if it is built in Austin. Large shipments of 4680s are currently pouring into Austin.

I just bought a primo 2014 one-owner Midnight Blue Model S (my 6th Tesla). It reminded me of my first Tesla Model S 85. I was shocked by how many features it has that I had forgotten and had to pay extra for on my 3, Xs and Ys. It opens the garage and I didn't have to pay extra, it has free charging for life for which I didn't pay extra. It has automatic lane change, for which I didn't have to pay $10,000. It has charging cables with all the attachments for which I did not have to pay extra. It has day/night mirrors for which I did not have to pay extra. It has streaming for which I didn't have to pay extra. Bean counters are clearly leaving their mark, which is typical of companies as they gain momentum and market share.

Ogre said:
Nevertheless, I was able to order a Model Y with estimated delivery in February. Do you think it might have the new 4680 batteries? I think so, last least if it is built in Austin. Large shipments of 4680s are currently pouring into Austin.
I think it’s a crap shoot.

Production in Texas is likely to start around 1000 units/ week, they aren’t going to stop producing them out of Fremont so there will be a bunch of different models floating around. Tesla has been silent about which models will be coming off the line from Texas first. My guess is it will be the Model Y Performance, but that’s a WAG.

I’ve been considering getting a new Model Y, to get the 4680 MY, but very hesitant to pull the trigger because I want to be certain if I bother. Also, I want that new red color.

Reactions: Fairchild
I think it’s a crap shoot.

Production in Texas is likely to start around 1000 units/ week, they aren’t going to stop producing them out of Fremont so there will be a bunch of different models floating around. Tesla has been silent about which models will be coming off the line from Texas first. My guess is it will be the Model Y Performance, but that’s a WAG.

I’ve been considering getting a new Model Y, to get the 4680 MY, but very hesitant to pull the trigger because I want to be certain if I bother. Also, I want that new red color.
Tell me about the new red

Tell me about the new red

Not sure the photo does a good job of showing it, but the new paint shop in Berlin and I assume Texas is supposed to be state of the art and enables new colors. Someone spied a car piece at Berlin with a color very much like the deep crimson on Musk’s personal Model S. From a distance it looks almost black but it has a deep red at certain angles.

If you see new colors come online you can be assured they are from the new factory.

1639096969654.jpeg

Speaking of tax credits, I will take all I can get.

Did you know that oil companies and fossil fuels receive $11 million worth of subsidies per minute, or $5.9 trillion per year.

When they begin to curtail those polluters, then we can talk about curtailing EV credits.

Speaking of tax credits, I will take all I can get.

Did you know that oil companies and fossil fuels receive $11 million worth of subsidies per minute, or $5.9 trillion per year.

When they begin to curtail those polluters, then we can talk about curtailing EV credits.
We'll give the EV related companies, rare earth miners, and EV battery disposal/recyclers a chance to get up to speed but I would be surprised if we didn't see much of the same greed, abuse, hidden cost, and learning curve.

The good news is many large US fossil fuel companies are ESG-woke and have carbon reduction plans on board with the Paris agreement.