Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just read CT delayed to end of 2022. I so 2023!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The question is whether our prices are still locked in come 2023 or later?
In the past, Tesla has honored pre-order pricing on their other vehicles. However, we were in a deflationary environment at the time so this was a safe bet for Tesla. In fact, prices tended to go down for new orders after production started so pre-orders actually paid higher prices than later orders.

We are now in an inflationary environment (for how long, no one knows) so the longer it takes Tesla to produce the CT the greater the chance that costs will go up and their margins will be squeezed.

Your reservation agreement is crystal clear that the prices are not set until you place your actual order so Tesla can change the pricing prior to everyone placing actual orders. Whether they will do that, we don't know. In fact, I doubt Tesla even knows yet.

In the past, Tesla has honored pre-order pricing on their other vehicles. However, we were in a deflationary environment at the time so this was a safe bet for Tesla. In fact, prices tended to go down for new orders after production started so pre-orders actually paid higher prices than later orders.

We are now in an inflationary environment (for how long, no one knows) so the longer it takes Tesla to produce the CT the greater the chance that costs will go up and their margins will be squeezed.

Your reservation agreement is crystal clear that the prices are not set until you place your actual order so Tesla can change the pricing prior to everyone placing actual orders. Whether they will do that, we don't know. In fact, I doubt Tesla even knows yet.
Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if all trims were $10k higher if it releases in 2022/2023.

Reactions: UCF3
Tesla has had plenty of opportunity to update the prices on the Cybertruck. If they were going to raise it, they'd have stopped listing it at the current prices. Much like they updated the date since they are unable to meet their first estimate.

Why would you go out of your way to piss even more people off?

Lots of precedence Tesla missing deadlines. Zero precedence of them not delivering promised pricing. Eventually even the base M3 SR buyers got their chance at promised pricing.

CT single motor buyers may have a long wait ahead of them though.

• Disagree
Reactions: UCF3 and Rocky_H
Why?
you think they got over a million pre orders and they‘Re just going to go “Nah. no reason to build it. We were just kidding”
I blame the auto media.

The mainstream auto media treat the eSilverado as the real deal, prop the F150 Lightning on a pedestal and gift it with magical bonus range and super powers, but try to pretend the Cybertruck doesn't exist. Consumer Reports recently suggested in their review that it is just an elaborate prank.

The automotive media thrives on exclusives and early access, look at how they eat up the Rivian reviews like it's the Jesus truck. Tesla pretty much ignores them and is more likely to give someone like Rob Maurer a seat at their events than Car and Driver.

I blame the auto media.

The mainstream auto media treat the eSilverado as the real deal, prop the F150 Lightning on a pedestal and gift it with magical bonus range and super powers, but try to pretend the Cybertruck doesn't exist. Consumer Reports recently suggested in their review that it is just an elaborate prank.

The automotive media thrives on exclusives and early access, look at how they eat up the Rivian reviews like it's the Jesus truck. Tesla pretty much ignores them and is more likely to give someone like Rob Maurer a seat at their events than Car and Driver.
I agree with your points about the media but think Tesla will build it for several reasons:
1) they have a ton of interest and reservations.
They have somewhere like 1.25 million reorders.
Say half of them drop out or are just fraudulent, that's still 750,000 preorders.

Ford has a production goal of only 80,000 of their EV truck and they aren't even in production yet
Rivian's target is 40,000 trucks and they have produced some and I think deliveries have either started or will soon.
But 40,000 trucks as a target and they already have over 30,000 reservations ( when I read about it a few months ago) leaves very few vehicles for a Cyber truck reserver to buy
3) If they scrap it , it will be much worse for the company than any delays they've had with vehicles like the roadster.
Scrapping it will really hurt their credibility

Reactions: Ogre and Rocky_H
I agree with your points about the media but think Tesla will build it for several reasons:
Totally agree with you.

I don't think the Cybertruck is getting cancelled. I blame the media for spreading the rumor that it's being cancelled.

Tesla is investing bucketloads of cash to build a factory to produce the Cybertruck. They spent a billion dollars on a Gigapress and many billions more building half of Tera Texas to produce it.

Hell yeah they are building it.

Reactions: Rocky_H and AquaY
The mainstream auto media ... try to pretend the Cybertruck doesn't exist. Consumer Reports recently suggested in their review that it is just an elaborate prank.
Come rubber meeting road (literally), E-versions of Silverado and F-150 will prove indistinguishable from what's already out there, with no visual distinction - pass one, nobody will know. Rivian will stand out, inspiring "OMG eeeeewww yuck who would want those headlights". Hummer will inspire "they're making those again?" with few appending "oh, must be the new electric model."

One Cybertruck will bill be noticed by EVERYONE passing it. Sure, half will hate it - and a quarter will go "OMG I want one", with 1% of those following thru to make insanely huge sales volume.

• Funny
Reactions: Ogre
One Cybertruck will bill be noticed by EVERYONE passing it. Sure, half will hate it - and a quarter will go "OMG I want one", with 1% of those following thru to make insanely huge sales volume.
I'm honestly not quite sure how I feel about that.

While I think it is cool to have the coolest toy on the block. I'm not the sort of guy who loves talking to strangers a ton.

Though... who am I kidding, I'll probably chase down the nearest Cars n Coffee and let the truck steal the event.

I just learned where I am on the waiting list (~80k). There's probably over a year's number of potential CT owners ahead of me. I'm sure the giga factory will eventually pump them out and maybe half the reservations will decline to fill orders. Maybe in a couple of years it'll all come to pass.