Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just read some posts on cosmetic repairs!! :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The OP is talking about minor repairs to bumper covers, panels etc. Tesla will absolutely provide parts for minor repair work to non authorized shops. I know, because I had my Model S repaired by a non-approved shop when someone backed into my car at a light (thank goodness for the dash cam!) The local Tesla service center provided the needed parts to the body shop.

Tesla is more restrictive when it comes to more major/structural damage, requiring only shops that have been approved to do these repairs. These shops have sent technicians to Tesla Fremont to become certified. This is part of how they justify the high cost. Not saying it's right, but that is the situation. So minor repairs, not as big of a deal (though still expensive in my experience).

I had the same thing happen to me [ driver of car in front admitted fault ] but body shop has been waiting for 2 1/2 months for Tesla just to get back to them with a quote for the parts. I imagine I will be waiting for many more months before car gets repaired. I am glad that I can still drive it otherwise I would be VERY pissed...

Does anyone know why there are so few Tesla-authorized body shops? Is this even true?
If repairing a Tesla is very profitable, then many body shops would want in. No?
It is possible that the high repair costs don't result in high profits - one possibility that comes to mind, other than Al body, is that the current car's body is not designed for easy servicing and repairing.
Understandable for a new car company, IMO.
My understanding is that body shops have to apply to Tesla to become authorized. I would guess that this would involve expensive training and equipment and that only the high end large shops could afford to do it. Probably just not enough of "us" around to make it seem financially worthwhile to most shops.

A woman opened her door into my car as I was passing her parked car denting and scraping my rear door and rear quarter panel. The car is only three weeks old :(

The insurance company inspected the car and estimated the damage based on repairing aluminum body work. However, when I contacted a Tesla approved body shop, they made a comment like, "Guess your insurance isn't used to dealing with Tesla; there's a good chance you'll have to replace your door." Is this the approach Tesla takes - replace over repair?

I honestly don't mind a replacement; could actually be a good thing. However, this (and other) threads have me worried about lead times for major parts - like doors. Anyone have experience with this type of replace vs. repair situation?