Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Unsubstantiated Rumor] Just Read That A 130 Battery Is Being Tested??!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Just read an article saying tests are being carried out on a 130 battery. I think it's rubbish personally but I would like to read other opinions on this matter.

Also, what are your thoughts on a larger battery size? If and when do you think this will happen?

I'm thinking of trading my p90d for p100d but am trying to avoid a situation of when I get a new car, a few months later upgrades are available. That happened with my p90d. A week after reviving it, the p100d was announced with AP2 hardware. Typical!

Thanks for your responses in advance guys.

Model S/X with 2170 batteries could introduce a new pack size. I have absolutely no idea whether or not 130 kW would make sense or if there is anything to this rumor, but we should remember there is the pretty constant rumor that early 2018 could bring 2170 batteries to Model S/X as well. If so, a new size sounds quite possible.

So irrespective of this rumor, my recommendation to OP - if they can wait - is to wait at least until Q1-Q2/2018 before ordering. That should give some insight into what changes rolled into Model S/X after Model 3 launch. There are bound to be several things that made it to Model 3, being introduced to Model S/X as well. The battery could be one of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: calisnow
Model S/X with 2170 batteries could introduce a new pack size. I have absolotely no idea whether or not 130 kW would make sense or if there is anything to this rumor, but we should remember there is the pretty constant rumor that early 2018 could bring 2170 batteries to Model S/X as well. If so, a new size sounds quite possible.

So irrespective of this rumor, my recommendation to OP - if they can wait - is to wait at least until Q1-Q2/2018 before ordering. That should give some insight into what changes rolled into Model S/X after Model 3 launch. There are bound to be several things that made it to Model 3, being introduced to Model S/X as well. The battery could be one of them.

The plot thickens... Let the theories and speculation commence. Lol

Not an article. It's an essentially anonymous post on a forum with zero proof or an author with a history of accuracy. This is literally "a friend of a friend told me and now I'm telling you."

That said, I don't don't that Tesla's engineers are working on higher capacity packs. I'd be mightily surprised if the jump was all the way to 130kWh from the 100kWh we have today — a pack that required an extensive redesign of the pack cooling system and crammed extra 18650 cells into pretty much every available space over the 90kWh packs.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rouget and croman
Not an article. It's an essentially anonymous post on a forum with zero proof or an author with a history of accuracy. This is literally "a friend of a friend told me and now I'm telling you."

That said, I don't don't that Tesla's engineers are working on higher capacity packs. I'd be mightily surprised if the jump was all the way to 130kWh from the 100kWh we have today — a pack that required an extensive redesign of the pack cooling system and crammed extra 18650 cells into pretty much every available space over the 90kWh packs.

If a new battery pack is introduced, when do you think this will happen? Q1/Q2 2018?

The plot thickens... Let the theories and speculation commence. Lol
2170 cells in the 3 are taller than the 18650 cells in the S and X. That switch would require a new battery pack design, and thus a new chassis design to accommodate the increased height. 2170 cells are no doubt headed to the entire Tesla fleet, but I wouldn't expect them in the S and X until they get a full down-to-the-frame new model in a few years. Tesla's going to have their hands full with the 3 and Semi and Y in the interim.

• Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: cizUK and Rouget
If a new battery pack is introduced, when do you think this will happen? Q1/Q2 2018?

Well, nobody outside of Tesla knows - and Tesla has an interest in not telling us.

But the rumor is that the contract for 18650's runs out around the end of the current year - i.e. freeing Tesla to transition to 2170's if they so choose. Tesla might choose to continue with 18650's of course.

If Tesla decides to transition to 2170's, then a new battery pack in Q1-Q2/2018 would certainly sound plausible.

2170 cells in the 3 are taller than the 18650 cells in the S and X. That switch would require a new battery pack design, and thus a new chassis design to accommodate the increased height. 2170 cells are no doubt headed to the entire Tesla fleet, but I wouldn't expect them in the S and X until they get a full down-to-the-frame new model in a few years. Tesla's going to have their hands full with the 3 and Semi and Y in the interim.

Given Tesla's modular approach to changes, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they have a plan to redesign the current battery pack casing to fit them... I don't know if they can fit 130 kW that way, but I am willing to believe they have found a way to accommodate 2170's into Model S/X before any massive car redesign is needed.

Anyway, if one believes Tesla is headed for a 2170 pack in a Model S/X sooner rather than later, any speculative math on a bigger pack becomes much different compared to 18650's...

130kWh would be great for regions like eastern europe where we do not have any superchargers. A day's drive worth of range and you can charge slowly over the night for the next day. @JonMc I'd buy a MX P130D in a snap, if there only was a service center in our country.