TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Just received a bizarre message on PlugShare

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Joelgjr, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Joelgjr

Joelgjr Member

I noticed that someone posted a picture on PlugShare of a Nissan Leaf at a nearby L2 charger parked in an open spot (all chargers were in use), with the Leaf's charge door open. The person that posted the picture said "Squatters everywhere". I wrote a comment on that charger location that if all chargers are in use, often times EV drivers will park with their charger doors open, which generally means please plug me in when you're done charging.

What followed was a tirade of direct messages sent to me from a user of PlugShare (I didn't even know PlugShare app had direct messaging). I won't share his username, but the dude was ranting about how leaving your charger door open while parked not charging is akin to ICEing (even if every charger is in use).

He then had a paragraph about how all Tesla owners use EV spaces "like handicap spots".

He went on to say that Teslas "do not have the correct plug" to use L3 chargers and therefore any Tesla that parks at a L3 charger is by default "squatting". He said L2 chargers are "GM and nissan vehicle plugs" and that they don't fit "Teslas, BMWs, and Porsches 'who don't have the correct plug'".

Is my understanding of EV charging incorrect? Or was this guy a nut. I'm beginning to question everything.

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Guys a nut ...DC fast charger (chademo) can be used with adaptor ...as well as J1772 chargers ..only one that can’t be used is a DC-CCS which there is no adaptor ...in general I avoid public chargers unless I absolutely need and only than I use chademo ...I had my j1772 unplugged several times before ..and than ultimately I bought a lock so couldn’t be unplugged ..

• Like x 5
  3. J1mbo

J1mbo Active Member

Only a complete nut would care if an owner left their chargeport open to the point that they DM you. The rest of it is just rambling nonsense. Just ignore.

Side note: I thought this thread would be about the bizarre Russian-font (English language) notifications that the Plugshare app randomly throws at you ...

• Like x 1
  4. Takumi

Takumi Member

Jelly?

• Funny x 1
  5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

You are correct about the intent of leaving your charge door open. Problem is, as EVs become more mainstream, some of these insider tricks might not always be known.

Also, I have seen a growing animosity towards Teslas at CHAdeMO and J1772 sites as well. The sentiment is usually something like "You already have your Supercharger and Destination Charger network that we can't use, so why are you hogging "our" spaces that only we can use?"

6. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Jello?

• Funny x 1
  7. Takumi

Takumi Member

No, sounds to me like someone is jealous (jelly).

• Funny x 2
  8. Joelgjr

Joelgjr Member

Actually it’s funny you say this. An aftermarket vendor now sells an adapter to turn Tesla destination chargers into J1772. It doesn’t work on superchargers but it works on the HPWC.

However, destination chargers are provided by Tesla to the land owner, who pays for the electricity. J1772 chargers (really any non Tesla L2) are not provided by other car manufacturers. They’re paid for by the property owners. So us using an L2 is not at all equatable to a bolt owner using a Dedtination charger with adapter

• Like x 1
  9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Not in all cases. As I understand it, newer HPWC's have circuitry that "looks" for a Tesla before it will connect and start delivering power.

Not in every case. I am aware of many locations where the property owner paid for and installed HPWCs. In one case, I asked the owner why he chose to do this and he said because the Tesla HPWC was far less expensive than other options (they are) and because he had no idea that only Tesla vehicles could use them.

• Funny x 1
  10. Joelgjr

Joelgjr Member

Very interesting - thank you

11. SMAlset

SMAlset Active Member

#11 SMAlset, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    Tesla has been installing several non-Supercharger EV chargers at newer Tesla Superchargers locatons for use with other EVs (J-1772s) for a while now at least in my area. An example you can point out would be the Los Gatos, CA location (12 superchargers and 4 non). Sunnyvale, CA has 4 non as well. Those are just a few in my area. My understanding is Tesla pays for the equipment and has them installed. Tesla's goal has always been to promote EVs as a clean technology and it's actually the other car manufacturers who chose not to participate in Elon's plans for shared Superchargers (he was willing to share the port design for their cars if the manufacturer contributed to the building out of the Supercharger system along with Tesla--no takers as they mfgrs didn't want to spend their own money--let someone like ChargePoint pay for all of that--they really had no confidence that EVs would take off either).

I don't know the Boston area but perhaps you will find examples of other non-Superchargers that Tesla has installed there as well. I don't know if the non-Tesla chargers are negotiated by the parties when a new location is planned or not but for example the 4 chargers were put in the contract with the City of Los Gatos and the Sunnyvale location is in a Target parking garage where no other non-Tesla chargers were nearby as I recall and never saw their contract.

Los Gatos has Clipper Creek chargers installed and Sunnyvale has Charge Point ones.

12. Joelgjr

Joelgjr Member

I’ve driven on the supercharger network from Northern VT/ME/NH down to DC pretty extensively. none of the superchargers had J1772 chargers. That must be a west coast thing.

13. Corsair

Corsair Member

I agree which the above observation. Snarky comments left behind by Plugshare users berating Teslas, somehow less deserving than others in using 'their' public charging system.

I maintain proper EV charging etiquette to dispel their general misconceptions about Tesla owners. I check in and post how long I will be charging, my cell number is registered with Plugshare account if they need to contact me for whatever reason.

• Like x 2
  14. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Have super charged at dozens of west coast locations and have only seen this once. Beatty, NV location has J1772 and chademo. If it’s a new thing going forward it’s a great idea.

15. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

That person is a crazy, the leaf door-open thing is a polite way for that owner to say "plug me in when you leave" and they leave the door open so you can hook them up. That way you both get to charge. It's sort of like the phone number some of us leave on the dash so people can call us if they need us to move our car; it's a courtesy thing.